1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Sledge Hammers!

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by steve-in-kville, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Classy looking hammers Miller!

Well, I know where there is a fair number of those branding hammers if we can get a member near Burns, Or. to run an errand for us ;)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  2. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I've seen a fair number of them in the NW. I believe there was a company in Portland OR that used to make them for many of the local logging companies. WA state has a huge list of registered brands.

I've also seen a few (and own one) where the brand has been added to an axe, usually a rafting axe, by some welding shop or maybe just the company welder.

They are still in use in places.

3. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    40 oz plumb on a 17 inch hickory handle and a 16 oz dynamic on a 14 ash handle the east coast lumberjack sent me with some axe handles.[​IMG]

Mack, Yankee Josh, jblyttle and 5 others like this.
  4. Luckovich

Luckovich

Jun 27, 2019
    I'd be interested in seeing some great weapon style hammers.

5. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Aren't they all? :D

6. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Agent_H, A17, Trailsawyer and 4 others like this.
  7. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    junkenstien, garry3, Agent_H and 5 others like this.
  8. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Better than the gym, those girls have some shoulders.

9. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    junkenstien, garry3, A17 and 2 others like this.
  10. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
  11. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Little Maydole was give to me last week,had some stripes under the dirt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I tried to rejuvenate this cool twist face hammer with a massive chip in it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had it welded then did a little sanding and wire wheeled it before redressing the faces with a sanding block.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The repair came out good enough that I keep mistaking what corner it was on. I’m glad he was able to weld it and not have to braze it, so it doesn’t have that gold color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I considered some other handle options for it but rehung it on it’s old handle with a @Yankee Josh yellow birch wedge.
    [​IMG]
    The Ranger would have been particularly well suited...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I’m not sure what the “SDA” stands for, any information would be appreciated?!

It also has a double stamped “R.M.” that I understand translates to “use your own hammer!”
    [​IMG]
    Some closeups of the weld.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It’s hard to capture the funky angles to this unique hammer. But compared to Simonds and other twist face sawyers hammers it has an elegant form. The way the faces are slender and taper into each other with sweeping lines.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Huh, I see almost every shot I took was of the bad corner... that wasn’t intentional. Here is the other face
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope you dig it as much as I do!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  13. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Those are really interesting! Thank you for sharing them! We may have a lot of old axes in my neck of the woods but there isn't much in the way of unique things that you find.
    I agree those curves on those hammers are out of this world! Nice repair job too! All around awesomeness!!!

14. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Great repair! Glad that ended up in your hands.

15. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Superb ITVD! Superb you obtained and followed thru to its complete and full resurrection! To be used again, and or admired for so many more generations!

I say man! Those are all beautiful Sawyer hammers, love the gathering!

Trailsawyer, Yankee Josh, A17 and 2 others like this.
  16. ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    Thank you all for the accolades!
    I’m thinking about doing the same to the Simonds but fear it will wipe out what’s left of the barely discernible embossing.

17. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a sawyers hammer I recently got off the bay. $10! Post said “tradesman’s hammer”, thanks to ITVD I actually knew what it was lol. It did not have any markings on it but it is in great shape! I did a light polish on it and scraped the handle. It has a very grainy oak handle that is beautiful. I feel like I got lucky with this one!

jblyttle, Agent_H, Miller '72 and 4 others like this.
  18. ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    That is a nice find in a poorly labeled listing!

19. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I think it’s terrific that you had that hammer professionally fixed. Those are some unique pieces of gear and great work on the rehandling!

20. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    Those diagonal peen hammers are super nice!!!