Sledge Hammers!

I agree with @garry3, these markers and stamps and hammer or axes they used for them, what a great tool to collect, save and share. I hope you can rescue more.

I doubt I will come across any here in the wild...but to quote Sean Connery..."Never Say Never"

Here are a few I rehung this week

20190617-184110.jpg

Atha

20190617-161501.jpg

20190617-160627.jpg

True Temper

20190617-162446.jpg

20190617-162548.jpg

Plumb

20190617-161557.jpg

20190617-162016.jpg

Classy looking hammers Miller!

Well, I know where there is a fair number of those branding hammers if we can get a member near Burns, Or. to run an errand for us ;)

Last edited:
I've seen a fair number of them in the NW. I believe there was a company in Portland OR that used to make them for many of the local logging companies. WA state has a huge list of registered brands.

I've also seen a few (and own one) where the brand has been added to an axe, usually a rafting axe, by some welding shop or maybe just the company welder.

They are still in use in places.

I tried to rejuvenate this cool twist face hammer with a massive chip in it.
bh1zIq6.jpg

SyL6foI.jpg

I had it welded then did a little sanding and wire wheeled it before redressing the faces with a sanding block.
SLYdar9.jpg

sP5YPGt.jpg

The repair came out good enough that I keep mistaking what corner it was on. I’m glad he was able to weld it and not have to braze it, so it doesn’t have that gold color.
rh9Xdlm.jpg

HLjGjQX.jpg

I considered some other handle options for it but rehung it on it’s old handle with a Yankee Josh Yankee Josh yellow birch wedge.
YUjnwEc.jpg

The Ranger would have been particularly well suited...
xLnkUh7.jpg

v3LIKxZ.jpg

I’m not sure what the “SDA” stands for, any information would be appreciated?!

It also has a double stamped “R.M.” that I understand translates to “use your own hammer!”
hke3vRo.jpg

Some closeups of the weld.
ErDmMwM.jpg

1973-FE39-CECB-4116-882-D-E4-FC8-BE3-D1-ED.jpg

It’s hard to capture the funky angles to this unique hammer. But compared to Simonds and other twist face sawyers hammers it has an elegant form. The way the faces are slender and taper into each other with sweeping lines.
BynYMNW.jpg

tVnegG3.jpg

QJIqDQe.jpg

SumvJrM.jpg

rNJk65i.jpg

E3Fq84q.jpg

Huh, I see almost every shot I took was of the bad corner... that wasn’t intentional. Here is the other face
1663461-B-B7-B5-4665-860-F-A47-B56-B55-F03.jpg

7nhwne8.jpg

Hope you dig it as much as I do!

Last edited:
bh1zIq6.jpg

SyL6foI.jpg

I had it welded then did a little sanding and wire wheeled it before redressing the faces with a sanding block.
SLYdar9.jpg

sP5YPGt.jpg

The repair came out good enough that I keep mistaking what corner it was on. I’m glad he was able to weld it and not have to braze it, so it doesn’t have that gold color.
rh9Xdlm.jpg

HLjGjQX.jpg

I considered some other handle options for it but rehung it on it’s old handle with a Yankee Josh Yankee Josh yellow birch wedge.
YUjnwEc.jpg

xLnkUh7.jpg

v3LIKxZ.jpg

It also has a double stamped “R.M.” that I understand translates to “use your own hammer!”
hke3vRo.jpg

ErDmMwM.jpg

It’s hard to capture the funky angles to this unique hammer. But compared to Simonds and other twist face sawyers hammers it has an elegant form. The way the faces are slender and taper into each other with sweeping lines.
BynYMNW.jpg

tVnegG3.jpg

QJIqDQe.jpg

SumvJrM.jpg

rNJk65i.jpg

E3Fq84q.jpg

Huh, I see almost every shot I took was of the bad corner... that wasn’t intentional. Here is the other face

7nhwne8.jpg

Those are really interesting! Thank you for sharing them! We may have a lot of old axes in my neck of the woods but there isn't much in the way of unique things that you find.
I agree those curves on those hammers are out of this world! Nice repair job too! All around awesomeness!!!

bh1zIq6.jpg

SyL6foI.jpg

SLYdar9.jpg

sP5YPGt.jpg

rh9Xdlm.jpg

HLjGjQX.jpg

YUjnwEc.jpg

xLnkUh7.jpg

v3LIKxZ.jpg

hke3vRo.jpg

ErDmMwM.jpg

BynYMNW.jpg

tVnegG3.jpg

QJIqDQe.jpg

SumvJrM.jpg

rNJk65i.jpg

E3Fq84q.jpg

7nhwne8.jpg

Great repair! Glad that ended up in your hands.

bh1zIq6.jpg

SyL6foI.jpg

SLYdar9.jpg

sP5YPGt.jpg

rh9Xdlm.jpg

HLjGjQX.jpg

YUjnwEc.jpg

xLnkUh7.jpg

v3LIKxZ.jpg

hke3vRo.jpg

ErDmMwM.jpg

BynYMNW.jpg

tVnegG3.jpg

QJIqDQe.jpg

SumvJrM.jpg

rNJk65i.jpg

E3Fq84q.jpg

7nhwne8.jpg

Superb ITVD! Superb you obtained and followed thru to its complete and full resurrection! To be used again, and or admired for so many more generations!

I say man! Those are all beautiful Sawyer hammers, love the gathering!

Here is a sawyers hammer I recently got off the bay. $10! Post said “tradesman’s hammer”, thanks to ITVD I actually knew what it was lol. It did not have any markings on it but it is in great shape! I did a light polish on it and scraped the handle. It has a very grainy oak handle that is beautiful. I feel like I got lucky with this one!

Back