small footprint hard use 6" edc fixed.... whats out there?

the Benchmade CSK II is ideal for what you're looking at, but since it's discontinued I dunno how easy it would be to find.

Knives of Alaska defense survival knife in D2 tool steel. Heady duty and durable but it has a nice slimline profile. And has a less threatening look about than most larger knives. 6" blade and canvas micarta scales. I would get a custom kydex or make your own.

It's only 5.5" inches, but an Arno Bernard "Elephant," in N690 steel would be great addition to fit the bill (minus that 0.5").

Benchmade Bushcrafter. Awesome knife, comes in green or tan handles, leather or kydex sheath. It can definitely baton, and the s30v still cuts excellent and holds an edge after hard use. It's basically Shane Sibert's take on an old classic "all around" knife. It's under $200 plus you get Benchmade's warranty and high standards of quality. It's also very non-tactical. I live in California and it doesn't freak people out here - and that's saying a lot for it lol. The blade is under 6", but its still *plenty* of blade. Any more than what it has would just make it bulky while not adding much to its use.

Six inch blade?

Here you go!

I just got a Buck #119 Special (Monday evening.) and I really like it a lot! I like the sheath very much too.

I carry a Ranger Skinner #113 (FB knife.) on a daily basis in a fanny pack.

Cate

That is a very pretty knife!

Cate

Isn't it though, I love Arno's simplicity in his designs and lines, and the handle materials always bring them all together like "wow"... Unfortunately the price on them are a bit steep for my blood, but he is atop of the list when I do step up to more pricey Knives. Maybe santa will bring me a smaller "wild dog" for Christmas if I'm good?

nah. handle too big. Way too much printing. Tried it once. with kydex. no worky.

Yeah, the combination of it being immediately recognizable as a 'bowie knife' by the general public, and the hollow grind make me weary of it...

Knives of Alaska defense survival knife in D2 tool steel. Heady duty and durable but it has a nice slimline profile. And has a less threatening look about than most larger knives. 6" blade and canvas micarta scales. I would get a custom kydex or make your own.

That is definitely a model I'll keep my eye on. I'd probably end up grinding it into a full convex if for no other reason than removing the blade printing, and probably remove the lanyard portion of the pommel. Thats definitely in the right category across the board though.

I'm in the process of making a scout carry kydex for the KOA. The nylon sheath from manufacturer is great in the woods but not too functional as daily carry.

The choiless requirement is because I have personally gotten plastic sheeting, burlap, netting, tangled string and fabric caught in various sizes of choils, they serve no benefit for me personally and present problems all while taking away usable edge.

This is why I hate them as well. It boggles my mind why they're so popular.

You might want to try and see if there are any short leukus out there. I'm not big on them so I can't point you to a specific model however. They generally run an 8 inch blade but I coulda sworn I've seen some smaller ones. Maybe try Ragnars to see if he has any in stock. The sheaths tend to be very form fitting on them from the ones I've seen.

Edit: You could also cut down a machete with a carbide bladed hacksaw. Makes for a nice and light knife that can take a beating. Won't hold an edge like the Busse but I assume you have a pocket knife to compensate for that. ;)

I looked at KSF's website and it says that they are moving to Escanaba, MI.

Are they going to be in a partnership with Bark River up there or all by themselves and sell the same knife brands as they do now?

I do not see when their move is scheduled on their main 'moving sale' ad.

Best wishes to them!

Cate

I'm pretty partial to the Survive! Knives GSO 6. He hasn't done a run on them in a few months, they come up on the secondary market every once and while, but he just did a redesign of his 5" line, but the same thing less an inch. I'd keep posted both there and on the exchange if they seem interesting to you, good luck with the search!

KlNVbbpl.png

Wait on the Esee Camplore DC6, it should be out shortly I believe. Can't beat that warranty!

Wait on the Esee Camplore DC6, it should be out shortly I believe. Can't beat that warranty!

I'd have to agree on both counts, but ESEE CM6 looks like a solid pick also….

http://www.eseeknives.com/esee-cm6.htm

I might have to revisit the bravo series and do some choil removal modification...

Wouldn't be a bad choice either, A2 makes a great knife especially the way they heat treat it.

What happened with the Boss Jack if you don't mind me asking??

P1180679_zpscktqfryj.jpg

So lets say I wanted to replace this knife with something else, because this knife isn't an option. The rules of this scavenger hunt are these:
-6" blade length
-small foot print (meaning I'm trying to avoid a 6" long 4" tall rectangle on my hip)
-As close to completely choiless as possible
-Non tactical/military/fighting/scary-to-sheeples looking if at all possible
-Preferably with a finger guard
-Thick and heavy enough to (lightly) chop/pry/baton with (all wood/camp type requirements)

Thus far the only candidate I've found is the Kellam ranger puuko:
JPM95.jpg

All of these requirements boil down to a few things, this is my 'when no one else brings any wood working tools' knife that I'd have on me at all times. Because 'all times' really does mean everywhere, it ideally needs to be as small and efficient as possible while looking people friendly (or as friendly as it can). The choiless requirement is because I have personally gotten plastic sheeting, burlap, netting, tangled string and fabric caught in various sizes of choils, they serve no benefit for me personally and present problems all while taking away usable edge.
If you are looking at something for this single event, and maybe relegating it to a bag, or vehicle, I suggest the Cold Steel SRK in 8A.

Back