small footprint hard use 6" edc fixed.... whats out there?

Svord Deluxe Gen Purpose 6 1/4"
DSC02089.JPG

Length of Blade (inches) 6 1/4"
Over All Length (inches) 11"
Blade Shape General Purpose
Handle Material Mahogony and Brass
Steel Specifications 15N20
Blade Thickness (mm) 2.2mm
Sheath Leather
http://www.svord.com/index.php?id_product=9&controller=product

I'd say that Sissi Puukko is well worth a go.

Or perhaps one of the other Kellams like the Fang. I have the Wolverine (too short) and the Slasher (too long). But one of their Wolf Pack series comes in right around the 6" mark, no choil, and about as sheeple friendly a a 6" knife can get. Light on the hip, with a simple, functional, sheath.

But, I have to admit that New Zealand guy is wearing me down. He has sent searching Svord's website many times now.

I have an A-1 and can recommend it wholeheartedly. For just a tad shorter, even less scary version. I find the S-1 a great do it all knife. One of my favorites.

Don't have a Bravo 1.5, but my B-1 has been stellar. But price will be at the limit.

I have a KA-BAR Dog's Head, less military. But it is 7" and I wouldn't call it small footprint. These and the Buck 119 are both ruled out by the choil requirement.

I have read nothing but good about the Sissi Puukko. Since you are looking for a woodworking, camp knife. Maybe have a glance at Helle Knives.

I go paw through my draws, if anything else leaps out at me I post it up.

Last edited:
If the Kellam ranger puuko (aka J-P Peltonen - M95 Ranger [6" blade] or J-P Peltonen - M07 Ranger [5" blade]) meets your needs they can be had for about 50% of the US prices, direct from a Finnish knife supplier that I purchased mine from. And that includes shipping!
This source has all the variants available (both models in leather, with/without shield, and also with kydex sheath)
I can attest that the M07 I have is a tank of a knife that will do what you ask of it.
If your still interested you can find the source if you Google "J-P Peltonen - M95 Ranger knife Finland"

I'll throw in another vote for the Buck Frontiersman (124).

Has a vibe much like "grandpa's hunting knife," rather than "CQB tactical knife for Operator McStabbies."

It looks absolutely ideal given your requirements. 6" blade, no choil, very very minimal swedge, and totally innocent looking. Looks like it runs about $120 on Amazon.

What's wrong with the boss jack? I really don't think you'll find better.

What's wrong with the boss jack? I really don't think you'll find better.

My one and only complaint about the boss jack is that it's handle is a little slippery, but that's just what you get with such a small profile. That, and I need the money more than I need *any* physical belongings of any sort, including truck and clothes on my back. But... if I can gain a tiny bit of financial stability in the next few months, I could consider buying something so low in value that it wouldn't be worth selling in hard times. thus lower cost models get higher preference within the same category.

The buck 124 is a beautiful knife, but I actually would avoid it because of the 'big bowie' aesthetic. Being a well known visual style, to me, actually makes it look larger than it is. I also try to avoid hollow grinds in anything but delicate task smaller knives, for edge stability and wood binding reasons.

That sword is gorgeous and would be high on my list, but the 2.2mm (just over 1/16") is too thin for the kinds of things I'd want to put it through like batoning through potentially knotty wood. I have a svord orange handled knife with the clip point at 6" blade length - and that big guard manages to make the knife feel huge in the hand compared to the BOSS jack.

So far the two knives that are exactly what I want are either too thin or fairly expensive by comparison. The m95 that's available for 75$ is 1.61" (4.1mm) thick, where the m95 thats 150$ is 1.96" (5mm) thick. 0.035" (1/32") doesn't seem like much, but it can have a huge impact on durability and balance. The third option is to take this knife (a Condor Garudo Tanto) (picture from personal defense world):

Garuda-held.jpg

for 58$ and hand grind the tanto out of it, but it's only 3mm (0.111", or under 1/8") thick. I like the full tang, because it would be easier to fix a damaged handle scale than the smashed rubber on a missed batoning strike, but the steel, and heat treat are inferior and the thickness is way under what I'm looking for...

I think I'm going to end up with that 75$ m95. I've been eyeballing it for so long, and that profile of handle and blade still, years later gives me goosebumps over how efficient it is...

What about a Becker BK15?

They can be had for around $35ish, if you shop around. That is one hell of a deal for a Great knife...

Of all the 5.5-6" knives I own, the BK-15 may be the most concealable/least noticeable. Honestly, if you want a limited foot print on a 6" blade (so knife would be much longer), you almost have to go with a knife with no handle or one wrapped in paracord. I dislike both of those options. Tried the bare steel handle approach and basically, I think they suck for anything other than opening mail and the occasional box.

The new EK offerings from Kabar might make a reasonable choice. Daggers or dagger like knives aren't my thing however. But their slim design allow for more concealment in a full sized knife.

If you want a tank in 3V, the Cold Steel AK-47 Field Knife is a bomb proof monster. 5 mil thick and full tang w/ G10 scales. Better cutting geometry than a BK2 or ESEE 5 as well.

these would work

Fallkniven

Explorer Bowie

Puma Bowie

John Nowill Bowie, Sheffield

Last edited:
I've had both and prefer the proto. Folders can be made with incredibly thin edges and are safe to close and put in your pocket blind, fixed blades are difficult to resheath safely one handed in the dark. So my belt knife is much more of a ,things a pocket knife can't do" knife.

It honestly is ideal, but I can't afford it. I need my money tied up in other things, but I want something to replace its function, thus the bargain shopping.

This Becker might be too thick for your purposes
\

Last edited:
What I am seeing is a lot of input on specs and style. How about type of steel, Knives of Alaska has got a superb D2 steel that holds an edge and is easy enough for even me to sharpen. No it's not completely stainless but I like a little patina.

Back