Snarking in a Becker Wonderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure has been slow around these parts. Ethan hasn't been on here for a month yesterday.

6FsKAMc.jpg
n0RVH4y.jpg
FthLbP7.jpg

Got this dune buggy project. Been struggling to figure out how to get the fiberglass hood off. Joined a dune bug group on facebook and they helped me out! Looking forward to being able to work on it. VW owners are allot like beckerheads, some of the most helpful people on the web!

Have always wanted a VW baja myself.

Since I only had the one Becker picture (I struggle to take pictures of my knives consistently) I figure this is better as a snark post instead of its own thread.

So the road that our usual camping spot is off of was finally closed for the winter, so we decided to just drive as far as we could before branching off to see what we could find. Well, turns out the very first turn-off was a road that had some lumber operations on it so it was plowed; after that turn-off the plows just stopped and there was pretty much 2 feet of fresh snow that we just weren't going to attempt to drive in.

YrAFRYh.jpg

So we drove up the snowier but plowed logging road and found a good turnout that turned out to be the berm-blocked entrance to a fire road long-since snowed in. Truck, brother, and friend for scale, the berm was about as tall as we were.

IzrUgh8.jpg

QvLENkE.jpg

yF9lpFd.jpg

So we snowshoed into a winter wonderland! fresh untouched snow as far as we could see, probably close to 2 feet in the open areas and that was before it snowed on us during the trip.

laitmDj.jpg

More snow!

bk57Cvo.jpg

Even more!

hvQK5Vo.jpg

My brother for scale to show the snow depth, although he may not have made it to the ground as there were many layers of mixed density.

evvE8hV.jpg

One of the camping setups, I had a tent (unpictured) but my brother and friend both did hammocks. We played cards in my tent both nights, so I think I made the better decision even though everybody was toasty warm overnight. It was those inbetween bits that were bitter cold (20ยฐF the first night), between the end of the fire and getting into the bedding (and back in the morning).

Mhow7ND.jpg

Packing up, started snowing again like it was the day we arrived. I should have probably helped instead of taking pictures.

6oowGPI.jpg

Got a video of one of the best parts of snow camping: the silence and the falling snow.

On the trip home it was as close to a whiteout as I've ever seen, the camera wasn't really able to capture the crazy amount of snow coming down. Thankfully we dodged the storm as we were on out way out, and were behind a snowplow through the worst bits.

iTRjQST.jpg

Since I only had the one Becker picture (I struggle to take pictures of my knives consistently) I figure this is better as a snark post instead of its own thread.

So the road that our usual camping spot is off of was finally closed for the winter, so we decided to just drive as far as we could before branching off to see what we could find. Well, turns out the very first turn-off was a road that had some lumber operations on it so it was plowed; after that turn-off the plows just stopped and there was pretty much 2 feet of fresh snow that we just weren't going to attempt to drive in.

YrAFRYh.jpg

So we drove up the snowier but plowed logging road and found a good turnout that turned out to be the berm-blocked entrance to a fire road long-since snowed in. Truck, brother, and friend for scale, the berm was about as tall as we were.

IzrUgh8.jpg

QvLENkE.jpg

yF9lpFd.jpg

So we snowshoed into a winter wonderland! fresh untouched snow as far as we could see, probably close to 2 feet in the open areas and that was before it snowed on us during the trip.

laitmDj.jpg

More snow!

bk57Cvo.jpg

Even more!

hvQK5Vo.jpg

My brother for scale to show the snow depth, although he may not have made it to the ground as there were many layers of mixed density.

evvE8hV.jpg

One of the camping setups, I had a tent (unpictured) but my brother and friend both did hammocks. We played cards in my tent both nights, so I think I made the better decision even though everybody was toasty warm overnight. It was those inbetween bits that were bitter cold (20ยฐF the first night), between the end of the fire and getting into the bedding (and back in the morning).

Mhow7ND.jpg

Packing up, started snowing again like it was the day we arrived. I should have probably helped instead of taking pictures.

6oowGPI.jpg

Got a video of one of the best parts of snow camping: the silence and the falling snow.

On the trip home it was as close to a whiteout as I've ever seen, the camera wasn't really able to capture the crazy amount of snow coming down. Thankfully we dodged the storm as we were on out way out, and were behind a snowplow through the worst bits.

iTRjQST.jpg
Looks like you had a nice COOL time :thumbsup::thumbsup:

YrAFRYh.jpg

IzrUgh8.jpg

QvLENkE.jpg

yF9lpFd.jpg

laitmDj.jpg

More snow!

bk57Cvo.jpg

Even more!

hvQK5Vo.jpg

evvE8hV.jpg

Mhow7ND.jpg

6oowGPI.jpg

iTRjQST.jpg
Awesome man, I freakin' love the snow.

I knew I liked you for a reason. :thumbsup:

:)

I wanna say I probably love it due to lack of actually having any in a given year, I bet you get way more snow anually where youโ€™re at, for me almost every year I have to head up into the mountains to find any to play in. This month, however, we got record-level snowfall for the area and while I was out of town for the worst of it (had my flight home get cancelled due to the last of the snow) anywhere I normally go camping or hiking is now a winter wonderland.

First time in my life Iโ€™ve used snowshoes on a camp out was this weekend. Now I know what Iโ€™ve been missing.

:)

I wanna say I probably love it due to lack of actually having any in a given year, I bet you get way more snow anually where youโ€™re at, for me almost every year I have to head up into the mountains to find any to play in. This month, however, we got record-level snowfall for the area and while I was out of town for the worst of it (had my flight home get cancelled due to the last of the snow) anywhere I normally go camping or hiking is now a winter wonderland.

First time in my life Iโ€™ve used snowshoes on a camp out was this weekend. Now I know what Iโ€™ve been missing.
When I was young, you knew it was winter, because there was snow on the ground all winter long. Now we're lucky to get it a few times per year.

YrAFRYh.jpg

IzrUgh8.jpg

QvLENkE.jpg

yF9lpFd.jpg

laitmDj.jpg

More snow!

bk57Cvo.jpg

Even more!

hvQK5Vo.jpg

evvE8hV.jpg

Mhow7ND.jpg

6oowGPI.jpg

iTRjQST.jpg
Thatโ€™s so cool King. Man Iโ€™d love to go winter camping one day, but my friends are all to chicken to try it out lol. Looked like quite the adventure.

big huge winds here, pushing 50+ mph, couple trees down, but in safe areas. nice.

slowly the meltings. too slow though. Winter is ovah!

big huge winds here, pushing 50+ mph, couple trees down, but in safe areas. nice.

slowly the meltings. too slow though. Winter is ovah!
Like that here a few days ago. We luckily just had a few branches fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back