So long, and thanks for all the pics

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Howdy folks,
this is an fyi for those of you who like Work in Progress threads, particularly threads that I've either made, or ones I've posted photos in.

Photobucket has vastly increased the price of their hosting service, to $400 per year, and I really don't want to pay them that much for their service and my account will be reverting to an unpaid account, which means no more embedded photos. That's retroactive, so all the photos I've posted over the years on Bladeforums will disappear :(

If you want to be able to refer to the WiP threads I've put together over the years, you might want to get to them before January and take screen shots, or download the images into your computer.

I've really enjoyed sharing these stories and the photos accompanying them with you all, and although it makes me sad to know that a lot of this content will vanish, I will continue to do what I do using Imgur.

Cheers!

Lorien: Those shitheels did the same thing to me - I refuse to pay them their $400 yearly ransom. Luckily, I still had photos from one of my recent WIPs and was able to recover. But all the photos I've posted over the past seven years have bit the dust. :poop:

It's hard to imagine how this move could have benefited Photo*uckit at all. All I've seen is a mass exodus. Cost avoidance perhaps.

It's a shame. So much searchable history is forever hosed here.

welp- that's capitalism, baby!

fortunately, I don't lose the photos myself. I could always download them and repost via Imgur, but that seems like a huge pain in the ass.

What a shame! Photobucket has single handedly managed to ruin probably more than half of all the great, classic WIP threads that have helped so many of us makers out. It's pathetic!

If I could make one request, it would be that you could somehow preserve your and Nick's famous, "Stuck in the Metal with you" WIP. That has, and still does help me out so often in my knife making endeavors.

Even if you re-upload the pictures in the thread and do a few every now and then, that would be better than not having it available at all.

I do know some guys were smart enough to save the whole thing as a pdf file, but I have no idea how to do that.

Capitalism is great when the people in the society have a conscience and have integrity... Unfortunately those virtues seem to be dwindling these days.

~Paul
My YT Channel Lsubslimed
... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

I’m in the same boat and I’m pissed....... years of photos on multiple forums ...... really disappointing

Many sites are doing this

It’s only a matter of time before they all do

My commercial MLS that is my main listing source for my work just went from hundreds a mont to thousands

They suck you in and than deal out bad hands .... the house never looses

I am

If I could make one request, it would be that you could somehow preserve your and Nick's famous, "Stuck in the Metal with you" WIP. That has, and still does help me out so often in my knife making endeavors.

that would be a colossal undertaking. I recommend that you go to that thread and take screen shots, collect them in a folder and you have it forever. This is why I gave as much notice as I could.

my American brothers and sisters, this type of situation is just the tip of the iceberg. With net neutrality on the sacrificial blood altar, the future presents you with the choice of paying, or doing without. It's scary stuff, and makes me fear for the future of Bladeforums itself, to be honest with you.

Joe, I'm liking Imgur a lot. It's at least as easy to use, is free (for now) not full of advertisements and very mobile friendly. I'm no expert but I am liking it. It has a social platform as well, which you might find useful in your business.

Just as you folks, i've lost a ton of photos...many yrs having to do with handguns before I got into knives seven or eight yrs ago..
PB is a real scar on the face of corporate ethical behavior. Almost, but not quite, unbelievable.

It's the equivalent of burning down libraries full of books that can't be reproduced!
On the other hand, I embed images (here and elsewhere) all the time direct from photo files on my hard drive - no cost. Unless a forum closes down, the only way my images will ever disappear from posts and threads is if I delete them from my computer. I use accessory storage drives to back up the computer in case it ceases to function. I also back up to the cloud. One has to do this stuff to protect important images and documents from sudden or capricious corporate changes, malicious hacks and other calamities. Shame on Photobucket but shame on us too, if we don't back up our files. Of course, as Lorien states, it can be a huge piece of work to re-create a thread if it is lost, even if you have all the images.

Every image I have EVER posted is still alive from 2004 and up. ($25 per year @ Fototime.) I don't rely on FREE hosting sites to change their rules. (Wait.... Imgur is different? LOL!)

I don't even bother with a second Hard Drive. I backup EVERYTHING to the cloud with Carbonite, and have for 8 years. (If my house burns down there goes my backup HD. :rolleyes:) Google has now made it easier and cheap too.

If you value what you do, the price of hosting permanence is SO inexpensive.

All this said, I have zero control over Fototime if THEY go bust. No one is immune, and I have my fingers crossed. So far, so good. Sigh.

That's what I have always done because I couldn't figure out how to work those fancy pants hosting sites. Weird how me being a computer dummy for all these years ends up making me look semi smart through no effort of my own. :confused::D The new forum posting/hosting software is much easier to use IMO.
.......I just upload direct to the forums here now.

I hated using photobucket - so slow and full of ads and it crashed often. I too switched to Imgur recently and have been pleased so far but then I don't post much so just use free version of both. I don't know if old posts with photobucket are still active, maybe not. I hate seeing those who do post detailed progress work and good content loose all their history. Sucks for BF too.

I've seen a LOT of content at various forums damaged by PB's backing out of free hosting. It's a real shame for sure. I'm glad I didn't rely more heavily on it in the past, though they got some of my stuff for sure. I used Picasa/Google pics for a long time while they supported hotlinking, which was a great combo. Also it seems as if not all of the old links have been broken, from them. I too have gone to Imgur for some things, but as mentioned in this thread, it's just another free host that seems solid for now, but who can tell? Curating and posting pics is a lot of time and work all told, and to have it all potentially undone is not something I want to risk, going forward. I use Facebook for image hosting a lot right now, as it's easy to upload and hotlinks well around the web. I don't really know what the long term outlook there is, either.

I can see though, why the web is becoming increasingly less free... frankly I think we took it for granted while it was that way for so long. With billions of pictures being stored for free, that's a lot of physical hard drive space and infrastructure that costs money to maintain. I suppose that in the past it fit into the business model of web companies to provide a lot for free... but now that entities like Google etc. have built vast empires through having attracted the masses with free services, I think we'll see everything beginning to cost an increasing amount.
For a while it seems Google, YT, PB et al played a role as virtual economic levelers... they got our poor, our tired, our befuddled masses and helped folks in rural areas be able to make money, sell and share art music and literature, research a huge range of subjects. Although we (poor folk) still need that and always will, the more we take it for granted the less appealing we are to provide for, and the harder we fall without it.

Despite their very real sinister edges, I've been a fan of Google in the past as they really seemed to provide a lot of empowering service to folks trying to start something. My website was built with their software and has been hosted for free with them since 2009, not to mention the tons of pics they've stored and hosted for me over the years.
As a person whose business depends almost entirely on the web, it's worrisome for sure at times to consider where things could go- like everything else, the net is subject to the winds of change and all we can do on some level is just try to find something solid to hang on to and watch it all happen.

my American brothers and sisters, this type of situation is just the tip of the iceberg. With net neutrality on the sacrificial blood altar, the future presents you with the choice of paying, or doing without. It's scary stuff, and makes me fear for the future of Bladeforums itself, to be honest with you.

...oh, it’s SO much worse than this. We’ve been sold down the river, and most of us don’t even know it. One of the darkest days in the history of my country, I think.

Sorry to hear about your precious WIP threads, bud.

$400.00 a year for a crappy/ slow /:poop: hosting site.

To add insult if you refuse to pay up. You get emails from them explaining how great of a site they have. Yea Right

And yes they are holding my pics hostage as well.

Bing

Sad to hear but I get it thanks for posting them and for maintaining them as long as you did. They were instrumental when I first started blade smithing and saved me from many many mistakes

Back