"Social guns" uses and opinions.

1. an ak would serve you better than a mini....they are not known as accuate...

I'm a gun guy that's moved to knives. Listen to Drew (unless taking pics). Both an AK or Mini would work.

Last edited:
Some pretty good info above, shotgunner, but I'll add some things.

If you're looking for a semi-auto, detachable mag rifle, they pretty well leaves AR, AK and Mini. Price range pretty well leaves the AK or a Mini. Either way you may have to hunt a little for a deal.

Mini-14s aren't the gun they were 10 years ago, which is where a lot of people get their opinions from. I have an older Mini and it has several shortcomings the newer ones do not. Ruger has put better iron sights on them instead of the folding rear sight and large front sight the Ranch rifle used to come with. They have also taken measures to improve the accuracy, which was not up to par in the older guns.

Ruger is now making factory 20 and 30 round mags in great enough quantity that the prices have gone down a lot. Stick to the factory mags IMO.

.223 is no slouch, but that's up to you. You could look in to a Mini-30 in 7.62x39. Ruger will be improving high cap mags for these in the near future (if they haven't already, it was in a press release a while back). If it were me, I'd stick with .223.

The Romanian WASR-10 AK is a basic entry AK. The price has dropped nearly $300 since the Obama-nation has started to calm down a little bit. $379 here at AIM. But as you said, not low pro. The truth is, if it is say a SHTF situation, whether you are toting a Winchester 94 or an AK is pretty much a moot point IMO. If someone notices you have a gun, you have a GUN.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_GP-WASR_10_63_7.62x39_Rifle.html (Crap out of stock)

All in all, for the money, I'd probably go AK. I'm not the biggest AK fan, but they are very good guns and I wouldn't recommend one if I didn't think it was a good choice. Do some research on the WASR-10 and learn the ins and outs and I think you might like it. With the change, pick up some spare mags and ammo and something to carry mags in. As far as the AK goes, the rifle, mags and ammo are cheaper than the Mini. As far as training there is no substiture for hands on, but the king of AK training is Gabe Suarez. He has training DVDs that are worth every penny. Good stuff to work on on rainy days when you can't go to the range, or just to brush up on skills.

Shotguns are very versatile and serve a lot of roles, but every man needs a rifle IMO. $500 and under for rifles can be kind of tough, but I bet Texas gun shows are full of them if you keep your eyes peeled.

Last edited:
I also have a line on Yugo AK's for a good price. Let me know if you need it.

Semi, under $500.00 AK47 all the way.
BUT, I have two AK's, FAL, H&K91 and a AR. 99% of the time a lever gun is in my truck or on the trail and a 12 GA. Next to the bed.

A 12ga. and .22 is a GREAT start. As you know you can have slugs, bird and buck shot.

Right now we only have a double barrell .410, I have 2 1/2 bird, 000 buck (for inside home use) and 3 inch slugs.

Getting and older model .22 bolt action made in the 30's.

But like you, a .30-.30 or .306 would be good to have.

I know it is kinda small but a .22 Magnum would be a small but nice start as well.

I am with those who point you to the AK direction if you really need high cap magazine.

However consider if you really do. It is very fast to reload 10 round SKS from a clip and the rilfe was developed for a battle at the times where high cap mags were certainly available (e.g. PPSh). You will NEVER loose it or it will fall apart on you. Something to think anyway.

With AK you have to consider the environment you are in. 5.45x39 will probably not work as well as 7.62x39 in the woods or in a city. The bigger round will go through a wall or a thin tree, where smaller round will tumble.

There is no such a thing as "the best" rifle. It is highly specialized as any tool :) including knives. But between SKS and AK you will not make a mistake IMHO.

Regards.

Shotgunner, if interested in a WASR, check out Impact Guns, they have them in stock currently. Something else to consider is that if you run an AK with a good folding stock, you can carry the rifle in a "sneaky bag" with the stock folded and a mag in the gun. Walking around with the rifle out may not be practical. Just more food for thought.

If you need me talk to the Mrs. about your purchase, just let me know!

Well, it's not semi-auto, but a Browning BLR in .308 would be the right gun as far as caliber, non-tactical, magazine fed, defensive, cost, and just about everything else you mentioned. Otherwise i'd start looking for a nice M1 Garand; for some reason they don't get the "black gun" stigma.

I second the recommendation that you look at a WWII \ Korea vintage M1 Carbine. Light, very convenient to carry, relatively high mag capacities and ammo is still readily available. It also does not have the look of an assault rifle, obviously. On top of all that they are fun to shoot. I've got one and love it. You can get them through the Civilian Marksmanship Program (see link). You have to meet some eligibility requirements to buy one through them or you can just pick one up by shopping around on the internet or at gun shows.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1carbine.htm

The truth is, if it is say a SHTF situation, whether you are toting a Winchester 94 or an AK is pretty much a moot point IMO. If someone notices you have a gun, you have a GUN.

Much more likely for me is a bump in the night while out camping. Happened a few times this summer, one of them was a freaking cougar 20 feet from my tent, and in a few of those cases even the mighty shotgun did little to ease the Mrs. mind.

If I did have to use a rifle to fend off 2 or 4 legged problems in the night, I'd feel a little bit less nervous handing the gun over to the police afterward if it didn't look like it just left a war zone.

Point taken shotgunner. I used to share your sentiments in some cases. Truth is I'm not going to pick a less useful tool to be PC or ease someone's mind. In that case, I'd just go with a lever gun for sure. For the time being, it's still free America, especially in Texas.

Sounds like you're on the right track for what you want. Want me to find you a good deal on a Mini-14? :D Just cleared it with the Mrs. in Rat Chat.

As far as the AK goes, I had one for a time. It was dead nuts reliable and a good, solid, proven caliber but I was living in Jersey at the time so I had to let it go.

Don't think I'd buy another. I hated how it sounded like you were shaking a coffee can full of nails when you moved the gun around and it really kind of felt cheap to me. I realize that I'm looking for a cheap gun, but not positive that the AK fits my personal bill.

Had a SKS for a time also. Great gun but the mags were abysmal. I tried the detachable versions, terrible. Went back to the fixed with stripper clips for awhile....sold it off.

Point taken shotgunner. I used to share your sentiments in some cases. Truth is I'm not going to pick a less useful tool to be PC or ease someone's mind. In that case, I'd just go with a lever gun for sure. For the time being, it's still free America, especially in Texas.

Sounds like you're on the right track for what you want. Want me to find you a good deal on a Mini-14? :D Just cleared it with the Mrs. in Rat Chat.

Honestly, there's the PC angle which matters to an extent. I mean, I don't really want to hand the prosecutor a home run, but also, a standard stock rifle feels much more comfortable to me and is a bit more my "style".:D

Hey man, if you can find a mini 14 for either 40 bucks cash or a compound bow, your my hero>:thumbup::D

I gotta keep my eyes out on the local pawn shops. Someplace that'll take gear in lew of cash. I'm a poor, poor man with a bunch of toys.

I still see some reasonable Mini-14's - some with the very cool full wood forestock (like mine and in stainless), instead of the ventilated polymer top, on Gun Broker.

Man I only paid about $350 new for mine before the gun grabbers put "The Fear" into everyone. Supply and demand. :rolleyes:

First, I must confess that I know very little about guns. My brother, however, is a gun enthusiast, so I asked for his input. Included in his collection are a couple Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1s, which shoot .303 rounds. My brother described the Lee-Enfield as a good bush gun - they have bomb-proof reliable design and can operate in poor conditions.

Good luck with your decision.

First, I must confess that I know very little about guns. My brother, however, is a gun enthusiast, so I asked for his input. Included in his collection are a couple Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1s, which shoot .303 rounds. My brother described the Lee-Enfield as a good bush gun - they have bomb-proof reliable design and can operate in poor conditions.

Good luck with your decision.

your brother is right about the enfields however it is a bolt gun and he is looking for a semi......but enfields do rock

- Ruger Mini 14
- Ruger Mini-30? Its a Mini 14 chambered in .308.
- M1-Carbine/Garand would be nice.
- Marlin Camp .45 would be good because you can use 1911 mags in it, thus your sidearm (if it IS a 1911) and your main gun can use the same mags.
- Remington 7400 in .308 Win or .30-06 Springfield
- Ruger deerfield Carbine in .44mag
- SKS

All are "non-tactical" looking, reliable, semi-auto, and chambered in rounds that can stop a BG in his tracks. I DO love my SOCOM 16 though. M14's are my favorite rifle, I'd DEFINITLY reccommend one if any way possible.

Well I have trained on, shot or played with most fighting rifles around..for me nothing equals the AR. perhaps its my extensive training on this weapon but I will tell you it is reliable, accurate and fast..the 5.56 mm cartidge is not a joke and will do what needs done in practical range. I've owned sks, aks, but if i were going into battle today I would feel less than adequate with anything except an AR-15. My opinion is its the ultimate fighting rifle. Save up your money and get the best. There are a whole lot of high speed low drag individuals that share that opinion.

I have shot many a hog and deer with my Remington 7400 in .270 win. I even have 10 round magazines for it, if ever needed. I like the mini-30, too, but the 7.62x39 is not a .308. I've never shot one, but have to admit that 7.62x39 round has some appeal to it. I think either rifle would be a good hunting and defense gun in one. You can pick from a variety of calibers in the Remington. Both guns new msrp for $700-900, but you could probably pick up a used one for much less.

Back