"Social guns" uses and opinions.

The Ruger Mini is available in 7.62x39...

Whats wrong with a levergun? You have some experiance with em, and I think they are a good choice if you dont want a tactical looking rifle. SWAT magazine had a great writeup on tactical leverguns awhile back, Im a subscriber, so if I can find the issue Ill gladly send it your way if you want...

AKs and ARs look unfriendly. Theres no way around it. Media has done them in. I dont care, but I can see why it would bother someone. Plus, ARs arent all there cracked up to be. The have their flaws, I have ALOT of time behind em. AKs are dead reliable, but accuracy at farther ranges suffer.

Springfield M1As are flat badass, but it costs a mint to train effectivly with em. .308 isnt cheap, but its a GREAT round.

Found the issue. Say the word and Ill send it to ya.

FALs are also nice, but again, .308 is spendy ammo.

Have you seen the remington pump rifles? Since you have alot of time behind a shotty, it would be a smooth transition. SWAT had an article on them awhile back as well...

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7615.htm

Last edited:
Mr. Shotgunner - I would also suggest you check out a Russian or Yugoslavian SKS. You should be able to procure a good one (make sure all the serial numbers on the stock, barrel, etc match) for about $350. And the ammo is reasonable.

It's very important to completely disassemble the rifle and thoroughly clean it of all the cosmoline if it hasn’t already been done.

There are loads of accessories that you can get for it for not much money. I actually think it’s a very good little battle rifle and since I never liked my M16 in basic, the aesthetics of the SKS rifle soothes me. And, they are very durable rifles and more accurate than an AK 47.

BTW, I also have an Mosin Nagant 91-30 that I bought for $120; and, I also refinished the stock and I really enjoy shooting it. You can buy 400 rounds for one for less than $100 if you shop around. The Russians used this as their main battle rifle until the AK 47 and then they still continued using it until in the 1980s.

As you are shopping I recommend Impact Guns... I bought my Mosin from them.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/index.html

BTW, This is a Hell of a deal!

http://www.impactguns.com/store/PWA-M9130.html

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more I think you should get a Mini-30. Ammo is cheap and the Mini's run like champs. Ruger is now producing 20 round mags for it, but they aint exactly cheap.

Plus from the PC side the Mini platform is one that many LEO's use as their patrol rifle and they look great with a wood stock.

[youtube]n4SVwSGPLOc[/youtube]

I have been looking at the Taurus Judge, the Public Defender model w/ the 2.5inch bbl. Every time I see the ad showing .410 against a watermelon I feel like Im missing out not having one. I know you mentioned rifle not wheel gun, but this one can fire .410 buckshot (3” rounds and contains 4 steel balls that are .375 inch diameter @ 75 grains each), and can fit in the waistband or under the pillow. The cost, about $450.

Or, if money is not an object, let's get serious! http://www.impactguns.com/store/706397021023.html

spr_na9102.jpg

Not chambered in .308 Win, 7.62x39 just like the AK and SKS.

Shotgunner, I don't know how it is in Texas but I would for sure sell the bow first, then buy the gun. You'll lose your ass trading, at least around here.

Whoops, sorry. Going off memory, shoulda done some research first. My bad.

IF you want a bold action cant go wrong with a .308, decent all around cartrage plus can travel long distances

Personally I like the idea of a 357mag lever rifle. Good accuracy 100> plus you get 5-10 shots depending on rifle. Then when you get a revolver just match cal and you will be set. (you get to shoot 39spl for cheap)

Whoops, sorry. Going off memory, shoulda done some research first. My bad.

In your defense, Ruger did actually produce a prototype called the XGI, which was a Mini-14 chambered in .308. Never came to be though.

I should have specified that I'm really looking in the direction of a semi-auto with detachable, reasonably high-cap mags. A modern battle rifle if you will.

I realize that a lever or pump action rifle would be good in a vast majority of cases but I really want to step up to the modern capability level of the defensive rifle.

Since you're a Texan I was also going to suggest a lever gun. Isn't it a requirement? :D But since you're looking at auto loaders, I throw out a couple others. First is the Ruger PC4 or PC9. They can be found on the used market in your price range. They're very shootable and they take hi-cap Ruger pistol mags. They're small enough to be very handy (like a .30 carbine) and would also work well with your wife and kids when they're old enough to shoot. Ammo is also easy to find------any 9mm or .40S&W will work.

My second suggestion is to give a good AR15 a chance. Keep one light weight and uncomplicated (avoid the tacticool trap), and keep it clean and lubricated. I think if you spend the day at the range with one you'll come back with a grin and a new favorite gun. It's the most popular gun right now for a reason! It's also the perfect platform to customize however you see fit. Simple, light, and uncomplicated, or as many add-ons as you see practical. The market is flooded with parts and accessories, and magazines. In a total chaos scenario, chances are the extra ammo or magazines you'd find laying around would be for the AR15 too. And for the 3-gun competitions you mentioned, the AR15 will be the most common, and also for good reason.

I completely understand your bias towards AR15s because I used to feel the same way. But after being introduced to them 10yrs ago, and shooting them extensively since then, I won't be w/o one. Buy a quality one and only cry once.

I've got a Mini30. There was some weirdness with the barrels early on. Always meant to slug mine and measure it, but it works so...

+1 SKS, AK, Mini30 are good options for the money.

+1 These days I'd look into a lever action.

The rifle I wished I'd bought when I had the chance was the Steyr AUG. Mechanical design and breakdown for cleaning were amazing. Lotta noise next to your ear though. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_AUG

Last edited:
another would be the Elusive Ruger PC9 (Police Carbine) based off of the 10/22 sorta...Great gun just hard to find..... & since you have a 9MM no new ammo is needed to be purchased

I agree, and I do dig my Steyr AUG.

IIRC, there is/was a company producing an updated(?) version of the Steyr AUG.

yes, there is a US company making them - and they use AR-15 mags instead of steyr mags. Can be found for $1k occasionally (new), although $1600 is more common.

yes, there is a US company making them - and they use AR-15 mags instead of steyr mags. Can be found for $1k occasionally (new), although $1600 is more common.

That's a good thing, as Steyr mags are quite spendy..ask me how I know...:mad:

Back