"Social guns" uses and opinions.

My suggestion if your not in a rush is build an AR-gives you a great understanding of how it works and it's really not that hard. You can buy parts as your budget allows and you can customize to your hearts content. Since your a lefty go with a Stag upper-like I did hence StagLefty screen name. Buy once and you won't regret it. Famous last words as I now have 2-carbine and varmint. Good Luck Bro !

As being somewhat of a gun nut. I think in your range a SKS would be good or a M1 Car. Please stay away from AK's thay are one of the most inaccurate rifles out there but man are the reliable one out there. But you could take the 500 bones and start building your own AR thats the way I would go and the way I did go when i wanted an AR. If I remember right I payed about 800 bucks for mine and if i was to buy it as is it would be in the 1500-1700 range at a shop. Good luck i hope u peice an AR together because lets face it you know thats what you want

P.s. If you need help finding parts just ask me I'll be more then happy to help you find what you need.

WOW....

Thanks for all the info guys. This is a brainful to take in.

I guess my thoughts and theory that I was going to walk away with a decent rifle for $500-600 was a bit overly optimistic.

Looks like I'll be slowly putting this thing together.

I kind of have my mind set on a Mini 14. I guess I did before I started this thread but wanted to see what else was out there. Looks like there's not a ton more than what I've already considered.

I'm also going to spend a bit more time looking into the AR platform. I have shot them and trained with them. I do like them but price has always turned me off of them along with the reliability issues.

I would really like the project of building one myself, I am a chronic tinkerer, but would always worry about depending on it with my life if I built it myself.

Also not positive that it would be the "do all" rifle I'm really looking for, but I'm considering it.

Thank you all for giving me all the advise.

There's nothing wrong with a Mini-14. I have had one for year's and love the little thing. Plus if you ever need to get two people at the same time all you have to do is shoot one and make sure the other one it where you brass will be going. I got popped in my nose with some brass from my Mini-14 while a friend was shooting it. I swear he was 20 feet away from me and I damn near thought someone had punched! Mini's will fling some brass!

maybe you could get a kel tec su-16. it accepts AR-15/M-16 mags. it folds in half. not super expensive. forend folds to make a bipod. and the buttstock holds extra mags. if you like glocks you could get the kel tec sub 2000 chambered for glock. it would accept standard glock mags. and it also folds in half.

you know this is what you really want!
gungirl1990.jpg

maybe you could get a kel tec su-16. it accepts AR-15/M-16 mags. it folds in half. not super expensive. forend folds to make a bipod. and the buttstock holds extra mags. if you like glocks you could get the kel tec sub 2000 chambered for glock. it would accept standard glock mags. and it also folds in half.

Good idea. I cant believe I didnt think of that one.

Oh, I forgot completely about that rifle, until saw it in my safe just now :D - another option is AR-180B.

They have discontinued them (yet again) but you can find a used one for a good price, and it is a very reliable and light rifle. Some do not like the plastic lower, and it is a "black" rifle, but it is within your price range and semi-auto. Also takes AR mags.

here is a good review on it:

http://savvysurvivor.com.cnchost.com/armalite_ar180b.htm

Last edited:
The thing I like about the AR platform is the ease of swapping out uppers to reconfigure your rifle to a different barrel length or caliber (gotta take mags into consideration of course). Im an AK guy though. It does what I need it to do and is plenty accurate for me.

My suggestion if your not in a rush is build an AR-gives you a great understanding of how it works and it's really not that hard. You can buy parts as your budget allows and you can customize to your hearts content. Since your a lefty go with a Stag upper-like I did hence StagLefty screen name. Buy once and you won't regret it. Famous last words as I now have 2-carbine and varmint. Good Luck Bro !

Since you have trained with an AR and want hi cap mags then you quest is over. Like Stag, I built my AR in pieces. Ordered an RRA 16" Carbine upper assembled with chrome lined barrel. Bought a DPMS lower receiver at a local gun show. Dropped in a trigger kit with step by step instructions on AR15.com. Put on a 6 position stock that I ordered. Added a 3-9X50mm scope fron CTD (Cheaper Than Dirt) and sighted it in for coyote hunting (200 yard zero). Yes there are coyotes in Virginia. It is 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards so I hold dead on out to 250 yds. Works great and did it all for about $850. I got what I WANTED and did not sacrifice with what you get in a pre-assembled rifle where they cut corners to keep the cost down. I figured I saved around $400 by doing it myself and am very happy so far with around 3000 rounds down range so far. Easy to do. Go for it. If I can help let me know.

I would say like many other people on this thread that the mini 14 would be a good choice, however summit gunbroker has those elusive ruger patrol carbines in .40 and 9mm they are in your price range if a pistol caliber carbine interests you.

The mini 14 is a realy good rifle there is nothing bad i can say about it. But if you are looking for a bigger round you could build an AR 10 that fires a 308 round but is a bit more to build. as far as puting it all together it's not hard at all the only part that is tricky is the trigger springs. I you do it wrong it will go full atuo in till you stop fireing and at that piont you will have to chanber the next round before you start fireing again.
If you need help just ask bro.

Well, just a little update....

I'm pretty committed to building an AR at this point. Been shopping around for a decent upper. Once I get that I'm locked in for the long haul.

More money than I had planned on spending but I guess a few sacrifices here and there will be good for me and spreading the cash output out over months and years will make the impact more tolerable. Few less custom knives, more PBJ for lunch....

Still not thrilled with the stigma that comes along with the rifle. Might be slightly less comfortable driving around with it in my truck but I'll get over it with time.

Looking at a 16" flattop upper and Magpul stocks, grips and the like. Not sure about lowers right now, haven't done any research on them. Simple red-dot sight, something cheap, and a decent light. That'll be about it.

Be putting my bow up for trade looking for a decent upper this weekend.... Big step for me.

Best wishes Shotgunner, the AR is an excellent platform. You should love it, no matter how you configure yours. :)

Not sure of their backlog but check out Delton. I have heard good things about their builds. They have kits that include everything except the stripped lower for less that $500.
Also check out RB Precision. Great people and great customer service. I got my RRA upper from them.
www.del-ton.com www.rbprecision.com

Thanks for the links!

Man, those Del-ton's need a bit more looking into, those prices are crazy!

you mentioned you didnt like the "black gun" aspect of the AR, and im not sure if it would meet your needs and its a bit pricey, but take a look at the Remington R-15 or R-25. basically an AR, but much less "bad" looking. plus, the r-15 is compatible with aftermarket ar mags, and the r-25 comes in bigger rounds than .223. ive never shot one, but just another option out there.

Back