"Social guns" uses and opinions.

It's worth the effort to save for better componants. Spending a little extra for the better bolt carrier assembly is advised. Building slow and correctly with better parts will give you a rifle that will bring years of reliable service.

I know that you are concerned with reliability as you should be. I have a Bushy factory AR and two builds with a third in the works. I've had zero and I mean ZERO problems with the two builds. Had a problem with the Bushy at first because the guy behind the counter suggested Wolf ammo for break in. It was my first AR, 10 years ago, and I didn't know any better. Changed ammo and never had any problems since.

I won't go into a 15 page explanation about the different components, and my personal philosophies on building AR's or ammo choices but will be glad to give you my 2 cents worth if you want to message me sometime.

bro I know your set on the ar so I am not going to try to sway you either way, the ar is a great gun. I just am not fond of the 5.56.

this is what I have been looking at for a while, I think I may just do this for myself one day.

http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/mechtechccu.html

I'm honestly not a big fan of the .223 either. When money isn't so much of an issue for me, I'll be picking up a SA Socom 16 and that'll be MY rifle.

With that said, a .223 is a pretty handy caliber to have around in my opinion and with the Mrs. being of such small stature, the adjustable stock and low recoil will be perfect for her and I can crank the stock out and shoot it too.

It's been a problem for us, with me being 6', 250lbs and her being 4'3" :D, we have troubles with her shooting my shotguns and even air rifles.

I'm honestly not a big fan of the .223 either. When money isn't so much of an issue for me, I'll be picking up a SA Socom 16 and that'll be MY rifle.

With that said, a .223 is a pretty handy caliber to have around in my opinion and with the Mrs. being of such small stature, the adjustable stock and low recoil will be perfect for her and I can crank the stock out and shoot it too.

It's been a problem for us, with me being 6', 250lbs and her being 4'3" :D, we have troubles with her shooting my shotguns and even air rifles.

SA Socom 16 is an exellent choice, I really would like to get an oldschool m1a someday.

Just as an example, here's my EDC gun with hers. She likes it because she can get a full, 4 finger grip on it and she says it's "Only a little too heavy to carry"

DSC06609.jpg

:D

I carry the glock 17 as well as the so called mousegun naa 22lr, I think each serves a purpose, the most important thing to remember about self defense is: it needs to be a firearm that you can operate comfortably. if it is combersome you will most likley miss your target in the struggle.

got to admit it though, I would backdown quicker if the big pistol was pulled!

G23?

I like the grip job. Looks cool.

G17.

Yes, with all the complaining I do about the .223, I carry a 9mm.:D

The grip is one of the decal grip kits that I cut my logo out of. Makes it easier on range day when 3 or 4 of us set our identical 17's down and have to check serial numbers to get our own back.:D

Glocks and RATs. You can get prettier, but can't beat that combo for working tools.

Pssst, shotgunner, it looks like your holster was made for the wrong side!

Is that one of your sheaths? You do some great work man. What are those phillips head screws you use for the belt loops. I've been looking for some to mod some factory kydex stuff I have.

even rimfire is thru the roof here, a box of 100 is like 18 dollars. I remember buying 550 bricks from walmart 2 years ago for 8 dollars!

WOW-I just bought a value pack-525 rds I think at Wally World for $14.

Glocks and RATs. You can get prettier, but can't beat that combo for working tools.

Pssst, shotgunner, it looks like your holster was made for the wrong side!

Is that one of your sheaths? You do some great work man. What are those phillips head screws you use for the belt loops. I've been looking for some to mod some factory kydex stuff I have.

If I want pretty, I go with this:

DSC06610.jpg

But if I'm depending on my tools to save my life I'll take the RAT and the Glock any day.

Yes, thats one of my sheaths. It's a blem that ended up being mine, the rivet holes are uneven on one side. The screws are holding on a large Tek-lok, still my favorite attachment method.

Thanks for the compliment.

.....Pssst, shotgunner, it looks like your holster was made for the wrong side!......

Yes my friend, I am a member of the superior minority. Thus the affinity for lever guns and ambi kydex sheathing.:D

WOW-I just bought a value pack-525 rds I think at Wally World for $14.

I just picked up 2 20rd boxes of Rem. UMC .223 for $8.50 each at "the mart". First time they had any ammo I wanted in a long, long time.

I just picked up 2 20rd boxes of Rem. UMC .223 for $8.50 each at "the mart". First time they had any ammo I wanted in a long, long time.

maybe the mart is starting to get fresh shipments of ammo in, I may need to go check mine out soon then!

maybe the mart is starting to get fresh shipments of ammo in, I may need to go check mine out soon then!

My super Wal-mart has had a steady stream of .40 for and .223 for a few months now. The .45, 9mm, and .380 have been spotty and there has been no .22lr. A few months back I saw some of the Federal 550 round, 36 gr, hollow points so I bought 6 of them because my Remington 597 loves them. That's the only time I've seen .22lr in almost a year here.

I could get stuff from the gun stores, but they have everything marked up twice as high as Wal-mart.

Just talking to my dad, and he still reckons the best rifle you can get is an L1A1 SLR (aussie version of FN FAL) Semi-auto, incredibly accurate, big bullets and ak level reliabilty. Seeing as you seem to be concerned about encounters of the large-four-legged kind, it would be great (they nick-named it the Elephant Gun for a reason)

http://www.5rar.asn.au/weapons/slr.htm

Last edited:
Wow loads of opinions here. Since you don't want to go tactical my vote goes for lever action 30-30. you can even reload without dropping any mags and opening any chambers. A mosin nagant in 7.62x54R is a good gun that has stood the test of time. If you want plastic stocks and are willing to go with a single shot NEF makes a single shot rifle with a hollow stock in .308 caliber called the survivor. For zombies though go sks all the way.

Back