"Social guns" uses and opinions.

I'm going to wade into this, probably getting a few people heated up. Ok, you like lever guns. What about a 45-70? The round's been around for years and is a proven cartridge. You can get ammo for them almost anywhere. Loaded correctly they can take almost any game out to some pretty extreme ranges. You like pump guns, so recoil shouldn't be an issue. Mine is comfortable to pop soda bottles offhand with just outside deer camp.

A couple of years ago I picked up a used Marlin 45-70 for $260. It came with Lyman flip-up peep sights. I took a doe at 376 yards my first season. A good idea? Well, I'm comfortable with my marksmanship.

A drawback is where you throw end-of-days and zombies into the mix. 45-70 cartridges are heavy, so you're going to have to E&E if possible. You'll have to reload the tube more, too. If pushed, though, you can rain hell on your opponents. With zombies you're going to want to shoot-and-move, seeking serious cover and/or higher ground. I do feel, however, that the big bore will be good zombie medicine.

Go with the 45-70 lever. Practice reloads.

The Mini-14 is often viewed as the poor man's AR-15. Nothing, absolutely nothing, wrong with them.

They are NOT as accurate as a tricked out AR but they are infinitely more affordable. You can get a solid used Mini-14 for under 500 bucks.

I would not hesitate to own one if I were trying to get a "bang for the buck" type rifle. My second choice would be an AK.

Things like ARs, FALs, etc are awesome but are just so expensive.

First off, I like it. It now comes with a 20-rd magazine. It is a very "normal" looking wooden rifle that doesn't scream "tactical" the way an AR-15 does. It doesn't scream...well, whatever an AK screams. It is WAY fun to shoot...basically no recoil. It is easy to take apart and clean. You kinda gotta hold your mouth just right to get the bolt out and back in but it isn't really hard. Takes down into 4 or 5 parts. That's all good.

It has a bad rep for accuracy. I am not a good enough shot to judge myself, I always hit what I aimed at...or let's say I did so at the same rate as other guns.

Here is the problem. It is a 70 year old design basically, made from wood and steel (and not particularly fancy wood at that) and it costs about $800 new:eek:

There is a saying: "The Mini-14 is the best $300 rifle that $800 will buy".

At that point, shoot, shell out $200 more (maybe not even that, if any more) and get a pretty decent AR and get a gun that is even more fun to shoot, easier to clean (albeit more necessary to clean), as accurate as a bolt gun almost with that 6 lug barrel lock-up, and essentialy infinitely upgradeable. Hell, you can even make an AR-15 legal in California :eek: if you play some of their silly games with the "tool necessary mag release" or those kooky stocks. I don't think there is a way to make a Mini legal in California but I am not sure about that...don't live there and don't want to.

The SKS is kind of a neat piece of rough and ready gear but it's heavy and ugly but it does shoot a great round and they're not expensive. The sights stink.

Of the three guns I discussed, I used to own a mini which I got cheap but had to sell cheaper and I currently own an SKS.

I also have a Mosin Nagant. Right now, I am over commie guns. But I'll hang on to them because they shoot cheap ammo and are indestructible.

If the Mini-14 cost maybe $500 or even $600 maybe. Almost $800? Too much. If they cost what they should, which is $350-$400, Ruger would have to build a new factory, lay on three shifts, and work everybody 6 days a week from now until doomsday making them. Now if you can find a used one that's good, you might have something.

My next semi? AR-15 'cause everybody should own one.

The Mini-14? The gun out there that I most want to like.

Last edited:
Wow....

Blast from the past here.

Here's my current combo as an update.

DSCF1174.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic.

Rifle has been built for about a year now and the Mrs. even built her own. :D

Wow....

Blast from the past here.

Here's my current combo as an update.

Sorry for the blurry pic.

Rifle has been built for about a year now and the Mrs. even built her own. :D

looks similar to my rifle case, voodoo tactical?

First off, I like it. It now comes with a 20-rd magazine. It is a very "normal" looking wooden rifle that doesn't scream "tactical" the way an AR-15 does. It doesn't scream...well, whatever an AK screams. It is WAY fun to shoot...basically no recoil. It is easy to take apart and clean. You kinda gotta hold your mouth just right to get the bolt out and back in but it isn't really hard. Takes down into 4 or 5 parts. That's all good.

It has a bad rep for accuracy. I am not a good enough shot to judge myself, I always hit what I aimed at...or let's say I did so at the same rate as other guns.

Here is the problem. It is a 70 year old design basically, made from wood and steel (and not particularly fancy wood at that) and it costs about $800 new:eek:

There is a saying: "The Mini-14 is the best $300 rifle that $800 will buy".

At that point, shoot, shell out $200 more (maybe not even that, if any more) and get a pretty decent AR and get a gun that is even more fun to shoot, easier to clean (albeit more necessary to clean), as accurate as a bolt gun almost with that 6 lug barrel lock-up, and essentialy infinitely upgradeable. Hell, you can even make an AR-15 legal in California :eek: if you play some of their silly games with the "tool necessary mag release" or those kooky stocks. I don't think there is a way to make a Mini legal in California but I am not sure about that...don't live there and don't want to.

The SKS is kind of a neat piece of rough and ready gear but it's heavy and ugly but it does shoot a great round and they're not expensive. The sights stink.

Of the three guns I discussed, I used to own a mini which I got cheap but had to sell cheaper and I currently own an SKS.

I also have a Mosin Nagant. Right now, I am over commie guns. But I'll hang on to them because they shoot cheap ammo and are indestructible.

If the Mini-14 cost maybe $500 or even $600 maybe. Almost $800? Too much. If they cost what they should, which is $350-$400, Ruger would have to build a new factory, lay on three shifts, and work everybody 6 days a week from now until doomsday making them. Now if you can find a used one that's good, you might have something.

My next semi? AR-15 'cause everybody should own one.

The Mini-14? The gun out there that I most want to like.
then you would love the price I got my mini for -- Cabela's paid me to take it off their hands.
They lost the free scope rings out of the box and knocked $40 off
it didn't sell fast enough for some reason, so they put it on the used rack and knocked another $100 off.
Cabela's sent me a $20 coupon AND one of those deals where depending on how much you spend you get a bigger gift card. $500 purchase ='d $150 GC.
I had $425 in "cabela's points"
After the discounts & coupons, then adding sales tax back in, I was $149 and change out of pocket, then they gave me the $150 GC because the original sticker was over $500.
:)

oh, yeah - and the new 1:9 barrels are not spaghetti fire hoses like the old ones.
and when I got home I called Ruger about the scope rings and they mailed me a set for free.

An Arsenal AK should work great, as will any other quality Kalashnikov variant rifle. Do some digging on the AK-series weapons, I'd say. Mini's are fine, but a Kalashnikov will well outlast one.
If you wanna save some money, a good SKS can be had well under $500, and for a little more of an investment you can feed it from Tapco 20 round detachable mags. One of those is deadly out to 400, maybe even 500 yards with practice and decent ammo (which is cheaper in 7.62x39 than 5.56x45).

Last edited:
As its clear many of us have many thoughts on the topic. So here is mine.
Lever action rifle in .357 or .44 for a few reasons.
1. You have fired them before therefor are more comfortable with it
2. You mentioned revolver I am guessing one of yours has either .357 or.44
3. They dont look tactical and you commented on the beauty of a revolver many of them have a "traditional" look to that thats cool (at least to me)
4. They are both right and left handed because they operate by just a lever.
5. With the Leveroution round you can get much better performance out of a .357 or .44
6. They can hold up to 10 rounds which is enough in my book to let you get to a safe place or at least reload(some more some less depending on maker)

Ok just realized this tread is YEARS! old. WTF.... either way my information still stands and I saw your set up...I approve the AR platform.

then you would love the price I got my mini for -- Cabela's paid me to take it off their hands.
They lost the free scope rings out of the box and knocked $40 off
it didn't sell fast enough for some reason, so they put it on the used rack and knocked another $100 off.
Cabela's sent me a $20 coupon AND one of those deals where depending on how much you spend you get a bigger gift card. $500 purchase ='d $150 GC.
I had $425 in "cabela's points"
After the discounts & coupons, then adding sales tax back in, I was $149 and change out of pocket, then they gave me the $150 GC because the original sticker was over $500.
:)

oh, yeah - and the new 1:9 barrels are not spaghetti fire hoses like the old ones.
and when I got home I called Ruger about the scope rings and they mailed me a set for free.

THERE IT IS! Great find. I am actually happy for you and would be even more happy, being the selfish bum that I am, if it were me. Congrats my friend. Now that you have it, I really thing you'll love it. Handy, attractive, FUN FUN FUN. It is the getting of one in the first place that bugs me.

I love my MINI14 it is a 580 series and it shoots fantastic ,I know it's limited and I know not to stretch beyond them....I purchased mine new in 2007 (I think I gave about $600 OTD) and added 5 factory 20rnd mags and 1 factory 30 so far....I just love the mini14 garand style action,solid & reliable rifle ! I reach for it 1st everytime over anything I have in the safe.

Didnt read all the posts, for around $6-- you could get a ruger mini 30 shoots 7.63x39, and if I am not mistaken, you can get a high cap mag for them. I dont know anything about them though.

On the other hand, if you can save and wait, you might be able to get into an m1a service rifle for aroun $1300, I know its more than you want to spend. Dont know what you can get a used one for though. If looking for a used one, look an snipershide.com, the px their always has good deals on sales.

It would seem your battery is lacking the bolt-action centerfire rifle that allows dispatching of zombies and large game at 50-250 yds. The time-tested .30-06 has been doing this (game anyways) for 100 years, so I expect it will continue to work.

You can get a nice used Remington 700 or Savage 1xx in your price range, with iron sights. Good glass will run you extra. I've even seen used Remington 7400s in that price range, which give you the .30-06 in a semi-auto package.

SP

I got beaten to the punch. There is nothing scary to most folks about a lever action 30-30. They associate it with the rancher trying to protect their ranch from nasty things and putting down the injured horse or animal. That is more pc than the SAIGA's AK's or AR's. There have been descent articles about the 30-30 as a totally under rated home defense weapon. And for home defense racking the lever (just like the rack of a pump shotgun) will usually back most folks out of your home rather quickly. Most people know that sound and if they are still proceeding then you have bigger problems... cause they are either too stupid or too crazy to get the point.

Darn ... from a couple posts back I see you got it covered.....

I would go with the Kel-tec su-16c( $350) or the Kel-tec sub-2000($300 hard to find) or a century arms ak($350) . The Su-16 is a .223 that pretty much folds in half it's cheap reliable, and if shtf .223 is should be widely available. The Sub 2000 is folds in half to and uses 9mm and .40 glock magazines they are hard to find but well worth it since 9mm is so cheap , it's also compact . The ak varients are also very easy to get ammo and are very affordable.

Back