SOG Gov-Tac question and photos.

Hello,

I've bought a gov tac because I wanted a nice fixed blade and I like the looks of the gov tac the most. ( I also watched the pup elite and daggert2).
I also have a Sog flash2 and Trident for every day use.

I received my knife a week ago and it's really nice. Feels great and looks great, also razor sharp.

I did put my knife in the kydex sheath and when I had it out of the sheath again there where black scratches on. That's the downside of the kydex sheath, I’m sure it will do a great job outside but I was a little disappointed that the blade was full of scratches and black stripes from the sheath.

But I've washed the knife with water and dried it and now most of it is clean again. And a few scratches doesn’t matter to me. And after you've sheathed your knife a few times, there will not be so many black stripes on your knife.

Next thing I wanted to do was use the knife of course.
I saw a 'sog use video' on youtube where a guy used a flash 2 to split wood with the tip and I also tried that on soft wood.

But I scared myself to death cause I heard a weird sound and I realised the tip broke off . About 0.2 inch is gone, I can't find the tip anymore.

The knife is still very good and it cuts great but it sucks without an tip of course so I was wondering how I can fix this?

I've read something on this forum about it but what do you guys think is the best to do? I was thinking of getting it to a knife seller and ask him if he can make a new tip. Or should I make one myself with a sharpening stone?

And I didn't know the tip could break so easily, what can you do with this knife? Only cutting and chopping wood? If there's a new tip on it I will not use it anymore to split wood with the tip.

But putting the tip in a object without moving the knife shouldn’t be a problem right?

I still love this knife even now it's broken. I wish I hadn't use it to split wood with the tip. The knife can't take that.

I hope someone knows what I can do to make a blade point and maybe some one knows what I can do to avoid the black stripes from the kydex.
I've already read the kydex info on sogknives.com and followed the instructions to loose the lip.

And what’s that screw on the bottom of the knifes handle?
I tried to open it but I only scratched the screw.

Thanks for reading,

William

Last edited:
I will post a few pics, they will say more than a thousand words I guess.

You can see the broken knife tip, the wood where I've used it on and some cutting and the black stripes from the kydex.

I hope it's now more easy to answer my questions, I don't know what I should do now with the broken tip.

Last edited:
DSC00166.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00172.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

Last edited:
I'd contact SOG and see what they way. If all you truly did was stab the piece of wood, the tip shouldn't break off like that. If you were twisting and prying with it, then you'll need to reprofile the tip, because they probably won't cover it under warranty. All you can do is ask though. Hope this helps!

itseasyforyou

Sorry to hear about the trip of your knife. The rub marks/scratches on the knife are an unfortunate side effect of a bead blasted blade and a Kydex sheath. Fortunately they are only cosmetic and do not effect the performance of the knife. As for the broke trip. Typically that is not covered under warranty as it was broken while prying, but if you want you can send it in to have it looked at. I think or warranty/repair department can even re-profile the tip for you. Please feel free to contact the warranty department at warranty@sogknvies.com or 888-405-6433 x229.

Man, I took an SOG Scuba/Demo and beat the snot out of the tip into a fence post and it didn't hurt it a bit. The Gov-Tac is the same AUS8 steel. I can't believe the tip broke off in those thin planks at all. Nevertheless, almost any knife will lose the tip when the tip is used for prying. The GOV-TAC tip is a lot thinner than the Scuba.

Last edited:
Thanks johnu2 and coletrane and Chris.

@ Chris,

sir do you think that it's a option for me to send the knife to Sog, cause I live in the Netherlands (Europe) and it will cost me 27 dollar to send the knife. And if I have to pay 27 dollar twice then I can also nearly buy a new knife.

I think I will send a mail to warranty and give them a link to this photos so they can see my problem. It's of course good to send the knife cause Sog will repair it right and they can see if the knife was well made. But as I said, the sending costs for me are high.
Maybe they can advise me what I should do. Maybe a knife maker here can make it if I can't send it or if the sending is to expensive.

Thanks.

@ Culpeper,

I swear, I just had it three days and only used It twice for 5 minutes in total on the wood I've shown on the pics.
I can't believe it myself that the tip broke, I didn't know that it could break on that wood.
The knife looks like it can pry an steel plate, it has a pretty thick .200’’ blade.

Maybe I did not put the knife tip deep enough in the wood. That's why only .2'' broke off, if you put your knife deeper in the wood you have more power of course.

Last edited:
At the tip it thins out.But as thin as it is it's very tough!!! When got my Gov-Tac the frist thing I did was grind off the part of the sheath that snaps over the guard so you can draw the knife with one hand.I've split 2x4's cut off pant leg one swipe(fun)
My wife had it in the garden all day chopping tree roots jamming the blade into the dirt
and the stonse that were in the ground for hours (I was so not happy!)It cleaned up great and about 20min on the stone I was shaven hair off my arm.Tip was in great shape.I was cutting slashing stabbing couple of pair of old shoes & boots up when I did it.when i had nothing left but the souls and I had it griped one hand on the handle one hand atop of pommel came down hard into the steel shank and flatened the tip out but it did not break.Ive reprofiled some.maybe you should have gotten a blk tini one?
anyway send it in to sog pay the to have it re profiled if you begg them they might replace it.(tip) if you send it to them pay extra for faster shipping I sent in a seal pup elite that had a real messed up edge ups ground standard took 10 days to get ther from MI and 10 days back i felt naked with one of my sogs gone for so long. Crap!!! you live in the Netherlands! if they won't do it for free go buy another one.

All I'm saying is that tip shouldn't have broke on that wood based on your argument. I really hope this isn't a Taiwan quality control issue. Come on SOG. The guy lives in the Netherlands. It takes him forever to get a blade through customs. You can see on the picture he had the blade buried in the wood much deeper than the break. The break looks clean to me. No leverage in either direction. BTW, this is a tactical knife. If that tip broke off like that on some guy's rib the person with the GOV-TAC probably won't be around to find out it isn't under warranty. Think about it. It is not just a business of selling knives with a bottom line on the Income Statement.

DSC00166.jpg

Last edited:
Alright Culpeper I understand what you say. If you look at the this picture:
DSC00174.jpg

you can see that the point where the blade tip starts is not equal. I don't know if that’s matters. But I know what you mean, the knife broke a little fast on the soft wood, so I think it's a good idea to let SOG watch it. Then they can tell if everything was well made. And they can also repair it.

I will mail them and let you guys know what they said about it. Maybe I only have to pay for the sending costs once and I will ask how much the repair costs are.

I've send this mail to SOG warranty:

Dear sir/madam,

I broke my knife tip and for that reason I've started an topic on bladeforums.com.
Chris@sog the moderator of the Sog forum said that I should contact you.

I have my story and photos on the bladeforum site: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561349
If you log in on bladeforums if you can then you can see the damage.

But what I want to know is if I can send the knife so you can repair it and take a look at it.
I know that knife tips are not under warranty but it broke on very soft wood, so maybe SOG can also look if everything was well made.

I live in the Netherlands (Europe), and I would like to know how much the costs are for sending and repairing.

I hope you can also take a look at the bladeforum thread cause then you can see the damage.

Hope to hear from you soon,

William

I will let you guys know what they said to me, I hope they can help otherwise I have to let it repair myself or I have to do it myself with a stone. But making a new tip with a stone will take hours, and I’ve never even sharpen a knife myself.

Culpeper

I did not know that he lives in the Netherlands. So no need to give me hard time about asking him to send the knife in. That is our standard procedure for all warranty claims not matter where the owner lives and we do pay for the return shipping to the customer.

Yes, I can and did see the pictures he posted. His knife may have had a defect in the steel at that point and without actually having the knife in hand there is not a lot we can do to diagnose the issue. If it is a defect in manufacturing we will replace the knife and he will get a brand new knife. If it was not a defect we can re-profile the tip for him and we will do it at no charge.

William (itseasyforyou)

I am going to print out the thread for the warranty department and take it to them. Unfortunately, we will have to have the knife back here at SOG for inspection. What I will tell them to do is either replace it if it is a defect or re-profile the tip for you at no charge. We will cover the return shipping. I'll have them send you a micron as well with the GOV-TAC.

Thank you Chris,

It would be great if you can replace or re-profile it for free. I understand I have to pay the shipping to SOG. Thank you very much for asking warranty, I really appreciate that.

Do I have to wait for an email from warranty? I hope that they know that you've contact them, I think they will.

I will let you know when I have a mail.

Next time I won't use the point for prying anymore, only for putting it into wood or other material without moving the knife. Only cutting and chopping.

If I have my knife back I will start a new forum with pictures of the repair and the great service!

I'm not giving anyone a hard time. I know he has to send the knife in. I just don't think he is making it up and it is a big hassle to get it to SOG. The guy has gone to a lot trouble showing the problem. I think he is bona fide. Anyway, this is an internal problem between the customer and the company. This is a good forum as an internal control for quality control is all and I appreciate him taking the time to inform readers. Of course, SOG has good customer service and I realize there are procedures that must be followed.

SOG has indeed good customer service,and Chris did always answer any questions I might have.

I didn't have the same experience for example with Cold Steel,one time a short answer,and then the quiet zone..
:confused:

Chris, when do you think that I receive a mail from SOG?
I'm not in a hurry, but if they give me an address and permission to send the knife then I can do that maybe tomorrow on Sat or next week.
Or did they not yet received this thread from you?

Thanks

Thanks for your interest Culpeper, I've already send an email to warranty.
I've also posted my email here as you can see a few messages before.

I wait until SOG gives me an email to say to me that it's alright to send my knife to them.
And that they know that Chris has send this thread to them. He said that he would instruct warranty so that’s why I wait. They will repair or replace it.

I hope that it's a defect in the knife. I've used my flash2 and trident on the same wood and their tips didn't brake. The Gov-Tac is a lot thicker so it shouldn't break easily.
Well, I just have to wait for a mail. I don’t like it anymore to see my knife without a tip, it’s a dishonour to this knife. So I hope I can send it away next week.

Back