SOG Gov-Tac question and photos.

I don't know Culpeper, but I think that no one could have foreseen the buraucratic attitude of both Dutch customs and TNT overhere.
Their ways in this affair are a shame for my country.

It’s all very strange Piet, they really don’t know what they’re doing. Just because warranty did put the wrong thing on the label. They didn’t know that they had to put ‘gift’ on it.

But anyway, I’ve send Culpeper a PM. He offered to sent a Gov-Tac so I told him about the costs and some more. Maybe he will sent a knife instead of the SOG repair. Although SOG maybe will send the knife again to me if they have it back. Then I can make some pictures of the repair job. I will just wait and see. But thanks to Culpeper anyway because he offered me a new knife.

I don't know Culpeper, but I think that no one could have foreseen the buraucratic attitude of both Dutch customs and TNT overhere.
Their ways in this affair are a shame for my country.

This could have all been avoided privately through SOG customer service. The dude could have sent the blade back to SOG, which he did and SOG could have just sent a replacement in the same manner the buyer received the original in the first place. Even replacing his broken blade with a so-called "seconds" knife would have been excellent customer service. This has become a public customer service fiasco for the company. In the old days, customer service would be able to get away with nickle & dime warranty offers but those days are gone. This is an extraordinary circumstance. A circumstance that is moot considering the extraordinary customer service competitors are providing in this day and age of electronic dissemination of information. In some situations going by statutes, regulations, and internal policy is merely complying. It is not thinking. Sometimes we have to replace a rule with something else that will work.

Last edited:
Yes, i was out of town traveling to trade shows and other events. I will check with warranty about what is going with the knife.

You have my email address feel free to email me directly at any time.

Chris is back and he is working hard on solving the problem. He will properly let warranty department send out a replacement knife to fix the problem. He will start it in a week. So I’m glad that Chris can fix it.
I only hope that they will put ‘gift’ on it this time so we don’t end in the same situation! Lol.
So everything is 'rolling' again. I will put a new line when I have more info and I still hope that I can put some pics of the Gov-Tac here on this forum!

Chris I think that you might have miss this mail since you answer always. Maybe a mailing fault or something but just to be sure I place it here:

‘What I can do is have our warranty department send out a replacement knife for you. I’ll have this started this week.’

Chris did you start something or did warranty send a knife out? Do you know the tracking number?
I hope they have put 'gift' on the package cause otherwise customs can't see it's a gift and than they will let me pay tax and handling costs.

Thanks

Chris did respond to me very quickly and the knife was already shipped out so all I have to do now is wait. Thanks.

I have received the knife via UPS so thanks SOG and especially Chris. I've made some photos at once to show the knife to all of you.

DSC00834.jpg

DSC00836.jpg

DSC00837.jpg

DSC00838.jpg

I'm very glad SOG fixed it so well, I will never pry with any of my knives again, lol.

I'm glad to see, it came through at last.
Is this your knife with a regrind or is it a new knife?

I'm glad to see, it came through at last.
Is this your knife with a regrind or is it a new knife?

this one looks very new to me .
but a little prying should be of no problem with a good quality blade.
if it is excessive prying than the tip might/will not hold(depending on the blade,there are some knife brands out tere which are as strong as coldchisels).

but this Governtac you would think of to be able to withstand som prying.
it hasn't got a slim tip like the Seal Team has.

maybe the steel is not that strong?would ,for example, 1095 carbon steel made a difference?or 154CM...

SOG did send a brand new one. I won't pry with this one anymore, I think that the tip is perfect to pierce something or someone but maybe it's not really a prying tip. I don't need to pry anyway. But I did that just to test a little.

I still think that this is one of the best looking knives for the price. It's for me the model that I would think off is you talk about an fixed blade. It's feels like a real tactical. If you hold it in your hand and than think in terms of self defending purposes than I would say that the guy in front of you will have a big problem if you put this in him, it will pierce through everything very easily. (That was just an example, civilians in the Netherlands are not allowed to defend their selves, if you hit or hurt someone who’s for example stealing something from you than you will end up in jail).
The blade tip is superb for piercing, but that makes it a little less practical for prying.

Overall it is very balanced and has a nice grip. It can be used perfect on wood as long as you don't pry too hard. You can better use it like warranty says. It's razor sharp and feels just superb and the looks are also superb. I'm really glad I have this piece back!

I did some prying in wood with the Sog Seal Team Elite.
the tip did bend(I did bend it back after that),but didn't break.that was after stabbing deep in the wood and then bending the tip.
and the tip is a very fine one,like a slender dagger.so,I was amazed by the relative strength of that tip.

Just guess what I just found in my mailbox, no doorbells ringing but just a package that was left in my mailbox.
The TNT post service dropped the package with my first GOV-TAC in the mailbox. I guess they have seen that I didn’t had to pay tax or that SOG paid it.

I now have a change to see what the package note says: ‘ detailed description of contents: “Value for insurance purposes only no commercial value”. And I saw two amounts ‘insured fees $201’ and ‘SDR value $137.
So that means our STUPID customs/TNT did only look at the amounts on the package and did not even read the detailed information. What an assholes, properly they are so foolish that they can’t even read English.
I would like to apologise to SOG for the idiot behaviour of the Dutch customs and TNT. They charged tax for no reason at all.

Btw, the knife is well repaired by SOG, it feels a little different but that’s of course caused by the missing steel and less weight. I’m glad that I have two Gov-Tac’s now cause I can use the repaired one for the dirty work and have one left which I can keep clean.

So after all it seems that TNT just dropped the package to get rid of it, they didn’t even ring the doorbell. I don’t hope that SOG had to pay these taxes and if they did than, Chris please let me know. If your company had to pay 55 euro for nothing then I will write a letter to start a procedure to get the money back. I hope that they just read the description one more time and realised that they made a mistake.

Well anyway, thanks for the repair, the second knife is really handy for the dirty jobs but to be honest I love the new one even more. I can conclude that SOG warranty can fix a knife outstanding.

Back