SOG Gov-Tac question and photos.

"Try a woodcarving tool or something."

What and miss a reason to have a new knife!!!!!!

Tops knives have both in one.those blade are thick enough to use them as a crowbar.
they are not lightweight because of that..

I can understand that a soldier would choose a Sog Seal knife ,(Pup or Team,not the tigershark,too much blade) or a Ka-Bar because of lesser weight .

Chris,

I've just send you the same mail as I have send to retail (Jose). It's about the tracking number like I said two posts before. I didn't receive a mail jet so I think he didn't get it or whatever, so that's why I've send it al so to you so you can check it and see if it arrived and maybe you know the answer.

Thanks

I have received an email with the tracking number from Lindsay. I'm trying to track it on USPS but the tracking system doesn't work at the moment, lol!

I will check the number again later, I'm pretty curious about my package.

Thanks

The bast*rds have my package again. No idea why, I think they check it. Don't no why they put any energy in it. The knife is legal and they can't let me pay any taxes. So another ridiculous action of our great criminal government and their bureaucratic employers.

Detailed Results:

Into Foreign Customs, July 21, 2008, 4:33 pm, NETHERLANDS
Arrived Abroad, July 21, 2008, 4:33 pm, NETHERLANDS
International Dispatch, July 18, 2008, 10:19 am, SAN FRANCISCO

Your item is being processed by customs in NETHERLANDS. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

They held the package for over a week now. Well, they have a month or three to give them enough time to ‘check’ it. But I think I will receive it within two weeks. Although I can imagine a custom guy who is just sitting and who has a great time if he can delay packages as long as he can, lol.

I will just wait and see.

The bast*rds have my package again. No idea why, I think they check it. Don't no why they put any energy in it. The knife is legal and they can't let me pay any taxes. So another ridiculous action of our great criminal government and their bureaucratic employers.

Detailed Results:

Into Foreign Customs, July 21, 2008, 4:33 pm, NETHERLANDS
Arrived Abroad, July 21, 2008, 4:33 pm, NETHERLANDS
International Dispatch, July 18, 2008, 10:19 am, SAN FRANCISCO

Your item is being processed by customs in NETHERLANDS. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

They held the package for over a week now. Well, they have a month or three to give them enough time to ‘check’ it. But I think I will receive it within two weeks. Although I can imagine a custom guy who is just sitting and who has a great time if he can delay packages as long as he can, lol.

I will just wait and see.
vertel mij wat over die douane in NL.
moet je aan Fred van Drongelen van want2have vragen of hij daar wel eens last van heeft.
wat voor mensen ze daar hebben werken...idioten.
het zijn maar messen.in godsnaam.je kan van die hele grote keukenmessen kopen bij de Blokker(bv)of de Hema.ze gedragen zich alsof mensen geheime wapens proberen te importeren.
stelletje mafkezen.

translation from dutch to American/English:
tell me about the customs in the Netherlands.
you should ask Fred van Drongelen of want2have(website selling knives)if he has any trouble with them.
what kind of people they have working there at customs...idiots.:jerkit:
it's only knives.knives for christsake.you can buy big ones at any store for kitchensupplies.they act as if people are importing secret weapons.
bunch of fools.:barf:

I like to order from ebay. Knives like the Flash 2 are here 70 euro and on ebay 30.
And knives like the Military are here 150 euro and on ebay 70 euro. Although you must take good care because if your knife costs more than 44 euro customs can charge you with at least 20 euro. I once had a package from 44.34 euro and because of that I had a 23 euro bill.

Update,

Your item cleared customs in NETHERLANDS at 7:56 AM on July 30, 2008. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

I will get it soon now.

Update,

Your item arrived at the delivery Post Office in NETHERLANDS at 12:13 AM on July 31, 2008. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Last edited:
I've just send another mail to Warranty (Lindsay) and Marketing (Chris) (the same mail).

Reason:

The worst nightmare came true, customs want me to pay 54,59 euro and I did buy the knife for 42 euro 2 months ago. SOG repaired the knife for free, so it's just simply impossible that I have to pay tax. I didn't buy anything, how can I pay tax then?

I might think that SOG put an insurance amount on the package and that the stupid customs thought that that was the price that I had to pay or whatever.

Now I have a whole lot of troubles to get things right, all thanks to our customs.
This will cost me a lot of time to make calls, go by the shop to ask for the custom papers and whatever the hell I have to do.

I also hate it that I have to bother SOG again, they have already done enough for me.

If I know any more news I will put an update here.

I’ve just called with the Dutch Customs. They told me that our Post Service (TNT) has to let customs know when they send a package above 45euro. In this case, TNT took the insurance amount on the box and told customs that that is the package value. They didn’t know that it was a free reparation.

I have to call TNT Import now and explain the story. Then I need prove that it was indeed a free reparation and that the insurance money on the box was not the price that I paid. The guy from customs said that normally the US factory’s place a higher insurance amount on the box to make sure everything is well insured.

Chris, maybe our Post Service wants prove that it was a free reparation so you might have to send them a mail but I’m not sure jet. I will let you know of course. I will try to call TNT now and see what they say.

TNT has already paid the tax and they also need to explain customs so they can have their money back.

I've just called with TNT and they told me that the guy who send the package should contact the company who send it and then tell them that it was a free repair and that SOG send it free.

In other words,

Chris can you please (or Warranty) contact USPS (they have send the package I thought) and tell them that the package CP799560055US (my tracking number) was send to me at no charge?

Then USPS will tell customs that it was a free reparation and then TNT will get their 55 euro back. And then I can pick up the package without paying anything.

I will mail this also to you and warranty.

I hope you can take care of it. Please let me know if everything is alright and when USPS has handled it.

I think that TNT will call me when they know it was a free sending but if you have contacted USPS I will call them again to ask it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
SOG did already contact me, Chris said that Lindsay will take care of it and she's doing that now. I received a mail but USPS said that they can do nothing about it, lol. Always the same, the companies are blaming each other.

It's now 6:54 PM so I can't reach the TNT phone service anymore, I will call again on Monday.

Thanks johnu2, I'm sure it will work out but it will take some time.

This is the most exciting thing to happen with SOG since 1989.;) Mission Impossible: Gov-Tac to Netherlands, over?

I called for nearly one hour with TNT and customs and when I finally had someone on the line they only said more strange things. Not one time they said the same. All different solutions. I’ve talked again with warranty and I think I will just wait until they return the package to sender. It will take over a month at least before I have my knife back but there is no other way to get through this maze of different rules. If I know what SOG and I will do then I will let you know.

what a mess:jerkit:

if people would act a little bit more professional,more concerned instead of acting like robots.

people sometimes fail to do their work properly.they just act out of habit.

I've send the mail again to warranty because I would like to know what they want to do.
Maybe they have another idea than I. It's ofcourse better if the label could change to 'gift'. But I'm afraid that the package has to be re-send to give it another label.
They will send it back to SOG in two weeks. So I have to wait a few weeks more.

I told you guys just to send him another knife. This is beyond belief. A Taiwan knife that cost how much to manufacture(?) has now gone into a several week public customer service ordeal. Can we say, "Opportunity Cost"? BTW, RAT Cutlery has connections in Holland. The whole foundation of SOG Knives is based on the history of the Studies & Observation Group that pulled strings and made things happen and on time. Chris, no offense, but the people you work for has turned the company into just another business model. Check out Al Mar down the road. Pretty please, send him another knife as soon as possible and just throw away the one customs sends back.

Last edited:
Back