Some of you need to get over yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny when I see threads sometimes with some knife "enthusiast" acting like he's such a victim who's being crucified by the non-knife people in society. And then I'll see threads where some knife "enthusiast" who thinks that just because he chooses to carry a knife with him everyday it makes him feel unique unlike some of the mortals in society who decide not to. We really need to get out of this mindset that just because we like knives and love this hobby, there's something special about it. It's just a hobby. We like knives. We're no different than a person who decides to collect stamps.

People who are alarmed upon seeing a guy take out a knife 3 inch bladed pocket knife in public to open a pack of Sweet-n-lo are not "sheep". They're just people who are aware that society is filled with weirdos. Let them be concerned. If they start running and screaming like banshees at the sight of a swiss army knife, that's one thing. But for the most part, even us knife guys would have some reservations upon seeing anybody flick a knife open in public even if it is just for a micro second.

Knife "enthusiasts" do not do society a favor by carrying a knife in public. Nobody other than us knife fans care about blade steels. Or sebenzas. Or locks. Or the latest knife designs. But who cares? It's a small sub-culture. That's fine. I don't look down on people who don't carry a knife in public. Neither should you. Only people who are insecure about their status and accomplishments in society would be insecure enough to think so.

Like I said, we are not more "informed" about being efficient in society just because we carry a knife. That would be like a guy who lifts weights just because there might be a time when he'll need to lift a Mazda off of a woman during rush hour. Sure, the time might come when a person might have an emergency and need a loose string cut off from his sweater vest and one of us knife guys will be the savior society needed, but one can only wish for a day like that. I know this thread will p!ss a lot of you off, but it had to be said. A lot of you are pretty silly.

Been carrying knives for so long, over 30 years so I really don't think about it one way or another, nor do I really care.

Sorry but we are way different than people who collect stamps. There is not a time that I can think of where in a time of need a stamp may help save someones life or free someone from a wrecked car. I think that the woman that had her child strangled to death by a scarf that got caught in an escalator would think that we are doing society a favor by carrying a knife.

There are so many things wrong with your post I don't even know where to begin.

Do people really get strange looks in public for carrying a knife? To me, and most people I know, it's as normal as wearing pants.

Follow your state law....when conceal means conseal carry. Who the hell opens a sweet & low with a Strider? You tear it up.....or slice an apple with a Hinderer? You bite that apple.

I like knives because it makes me happy....knowing its there when I need it. It's something that mean a lot to me. Who cares what other people thinks....

Sorry but we are way different than people who collect stamps. There is not a time that I can think of where in a time of need a stamp may help save someones life or free someone from a wrecked car. I think that the woman that had her child strangled to death by a scarf that got caught in an escalator would think that we are doing society a favor by carrying a knife.

There are so many things wrong with your post I don't even know where to begin.

And this is exactly the mindset I'm talking about. People like you probably walk around with your chest puffed out just because you carry a pocket knife. Like I said, your mindset is no different than a person who lifts weights just for that minute chance he'll have to lift a grand piano off of an old lady and be worshipped like a god among the peasants who only spend all their time on the treadmills at the gym. I love knives but a lot of the people in the knife community seem to have a delusions of grandeur.

Maybe its different where you are but down here, for most blue collar men, its just part of their daily pocket routine. Wallet, keys, pocket knife. If I were to ask a group of 5 construction workers to borrow a pocket knife I would expect 3 or 4 to pull one out along with a "forgot mine at home" or two.

Not owning one might be cause to have your country boy card revoked.

Last edited:
Gently please. The topic of conversation can't be each other. If this thread turns that direction, it will be locked and and offensive posts dealt with.

We have only used a cutting tool for over, something like.... 100,000 years! This is nothing new, its not a recent trend or fad, its something we all use daily and would have a hard time without.

Your thread title won't help you with this one either.

I don't look down on anyone who chooses not to carry a knife. I choose to carry one. I have since I was a kid. All the boys packed knives to school in my generation. We didn't fight with them or do anything stupid. We used them for what they are designed to do. Things have changed since then. Society has changed. So be it. I'll take my generation over today's any time. I pack my knives to benefit my needs and to help anyone who may need it. I would really hate to pull up on a car on fire and have to watch someone burn to death just because I didn't carry a knife to cut them free of their sear belt trying to be politically correct. That's the way I see it.

I see the attitude the op is talking about. It's a frequent occurrence on here,gun forums, headphone forums, tv forums, shaving forums and just about anywhere that people need to make themselves feel important because of something they do. Not everyone is like that but the attitude is very common. Carrying a knife is nothing special. Most people don't need one on a day to day basis.

And this is exactly the mindset I'm talking about. People like you probably walk around with your chest puffed out just because you carry a pocket knife. Like I said, your mindset is no different than a person who lifts weights just for that minute chance he'll have to lift a grand piano off of an old lady and be worshipped like a god among the peasants who only spend all their time on the treadmills at the gym. I love knives but a lot of the people in the knife community seem to have a delusions of grandeur.

I wear a belt knife daily and never feel like it's anything special.

People don't freak out about it, or find it unusual as far as I can tell.

I use it like the tool it is, I use screwdrivers and hammers quite frequently too.

I don't know your background or location, but in my world you're the one that's seems to have delusions.

Big Mike

OP, I agree with you somewhat. You're gonna continue get flamed pretty hard here though. This is Bladeforums so be careful when you deviate from the herd.

I carry a flashlight and a multi-tool too.
My watch has an altimeter/barometer/thermometer/moon phase and tide indicator.
I occasionally carry a handgun also.
Ex-Scout, go figure.
But, I don't really care what John or Jane Doe is carrying.
That is their problem.
Don't misunderstand me.
I'm not any "better' than the next guy.
Maybe just more prepared.
Or overly prepared.

Your post takes a straw man and proceeds to knock him down.

I'm curious as to why you felt your post had something worthwhile to say. Your entire statement assumes a freakish mindset about knives yet contains no substance.

By its tone you sound like you have some deep seated anger issues. I'm no psychiatrist (nor pretend to be) but it's obvious that you need to seek counseling for seeing things which aren't there

Last edited:
It seems like we have this discussion too frequently here and on other Forums (like the Spyderco Forum where I hang out). There are two factors at work here: 1.) capabilities of the tool and 2.) intent of the user.

In the case of the capabilities of the tool, almost any item could be deployed as a weapon (pencil, light fixture, wine bottle, automobile, computer). However, it all comes down the intent of the user of that tool. I use my computer to make a living, to entertain my family, maintain my house, and to pay my taxes. I have never used it as an offensive weapon. The same holds true for my knives...

When someone reacts to me using my small EDC blade - they are basically telling me that they do not trust my intentions - and that they are fearful of what I might be able to do to them. Personally, I find this deeply insulting behavior and I do not tolerate it well. But that's just me...

TedP

I started carrying a pocket knife because my grandpa did, and in my eyes he was the coolest guy alive. So in a way, I started carrying knives to be cool, and over the years it has helped me through many situations. I know some guys who carry giant switchblades, or an XL Espada just so they can whip it out and get peoples attention. These are the type of people who need to get over themselves. Even OTFs, I love em, there awesome, but the people I know that carry them daily tend to show them off as much as possible, and under the wrong circumstances. There is a big difference between a stag handle case folder, and a tactical black double edge ultratech. Youve got the right to carry what you want, (within legal reason) but the world also has the right to judge you.

.....Like I said, we are not more "informed" about being efficient in society just because we carry a knife. That would be like a guy who lifts weights just because there might be a time when he'll need to lift a Mazda off of a woman during rush hour. Sure, the time might come when a person might have an emergency and need a loose string cut off from his sweater vest and one of us knife guys will be the savior society needed, but one can only wish for a day like that. I know this thread will p!ss a lot of you off, but it had to be said. A lot of you are pretty silly.

Yet oddly enough, I seem to find uses for knives every single day, and I work in an office white-collar setting. You may be accustom to gnawing on packaging, but a generation back everyone carried a knife, not because they are cool, but because knives are very basic and practical tools to have with you.

n2s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back