Some of you need to get over yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your post takes a straw man and proceeds to knock him down.

I'm curious as to why you felt your post had something worthwhile to say. Your entire statement assumes a freakish mindset about knives yet contains no substance.

By its tone you sound like you have some deep seated anger issues. I'm no psychiatrist (nor pretend to be) but it's obvious that you need to seek counseling for seeing things which aren't there

You need to read my post (#9). The last line of your post is exactly what we don't need.

Knives have many levels.
I like to carry one on me all the time. It's like a good friend.

It's funny when I see threads sometimes with some knife "enthusiast" acting like he's such a victim who's being crucified by the non-knife people in society. And then I'll see threads where some knife "enthusiast" who thinks that just because he chooses to carry a knife with him everyday it makes him feel unique unlike some of the mortals in society who decide not to. We really need to get out of this mindset that just because we like knives and love this hobby, there's something special about it. It's just a hobby. We like knives. We're no different than a person who decides to collect stamps.

People who are alarmed upon seeing a guy take out a knife 3 inch bladed pocket knife in public to open a pack of Sweet-n-lo are not "sheep". They're just people who are aware that society is filled with weirdos. Let them be concerned. If they start running and screaming like banshees at the sight of a swiss army knife, that's one thing. But for the most part, even us knife guys would have some reservations upon seeing anybody flick a knife open in public even if it is just for a micro second.

Knife "enthusiasts" do not do society a favor by carrying a knife in public. Nobody other than us knife fans care about blade steels. Or sebenzas. Or locks. Or the latest knife designs. But who cares? It's a small sub-culture. That's fine. I don't look down on people who don't carry a knife in public. Neither should you. Only people who are insecure about their status and accomplishments in society would be insecure enough to think so.

Like I said, we are not more "informed" about being efficient in society just because we carry a knife. That would be like a guy who lifts weights just because there might be a time when he'll need to lift a Mazda off of a woman during rush hour. Sure, the time might come when a person might have an emergency and need a loose string cut off from his sweater vest and one of us knife guys will be the savior society needed, but one can only wish for a day like that. I know this thread will p!ss a lot of you off, but it had to be said. A lot of you are pretty silly.

How would you know another persons feelings, justification or mindset in order to tell them they are wrong? Does this not put you in the same category by chastising them for not believing as you?

Maybe its different where you are but down here, for most blue collar men, its just part of their daily pocket routine. Wallet, keys, pocket knife. If I were to ask a group of 5 construction workers to borrow a pocket knife I would expect 3 or 4 to pull one out along with a "forgot mine at home" or two.

Not owning one might be cause to have your country boy card revoked.

That's pretty much how it is here too, Almost everyone carries a knife, not to hurt anyone but to use it because you need it in daily tasks. I don't look down on anyone for not carrying a knife, that's just silly, but I also will not let anyone borrow my knives either, if something needs to be cut and they don't have a knife they ask me , "hey can i borrow your knife?" followed by me saying , What do you need cut, and i will cut it for them. I don't think I'm better than anyone for carrying a knife if they choose not to, that is just silly, however if a situation arises and a knife is needed I may cut something for you but my knife never leaves me hands. Same can be said for a lot of things that are on my person everyday, I carry a gun on me at all times , except while working, DO i do it for the cool factor or to be better than anyone? NO I carry a gun and no one knows I have it except my family or close friends who have just seen my guns or know I carry one at all times. I don't carry it to be cool or for intimidation , I carry it in case the lives of my family or myself were to become threatened I have a way to protect us. That is all.

Knife "enthusiasts" do not do society a favor by carrying a knife in public.

Every man I know carries a knife in public, and while at home. They don't have to be an "enthusiast".
If someone doesn't have a knife on them around here people are jokingly going to give them a hard time.

My nephew needed one a few weeks ago and I gave him a hard time, and also gave him a knife.

And this is exactly the mindset I'm talking about. People like you probably walk around with your chest puffed out just because you carry a pocket knife. Like I said, your mindset is no different than a person who lifts weights just for that minute chance he'll have to lift a grand piano off of an old lady and be worshipped like a god among the peasants who only spend all their time on the treadmills at the gym. I love knives but a lot of the people in the knife community seem to have a delusions of grandeur.

I like knives, along with lifting weights and cardio.

I too have gifted several co workers and friends knives, I got tired of them asking me to cut stuff for them (again I don't loan out my knives, bad experience once)
So i will just give them some of my lesser value knives that i never carry or use. I also enjoy staying in shape as well, not because I want to "lift a car off a woman on day" as you put it, I just want to be as healthy as i possibly can and stay physically fit, for no other reason than my personal health.

Every man I know carries a knife in public, and while at home. They don't have to be an "enthusiast".
If someone doesn't have a knife on them around here people are jokingly going to give them a hard time.

My nephew needed one a few weeks ago and I gave him a hard time, and also gave him a knife.

When I grew you knives for men where like pocketbooks were for women, they all had one. ;)

People carry a knife because it is a tool. At least the people I know. If life is so mundane that you don't ever need a tool to help you through it, I don't know what to say? Sorry? People don't walk around with their chest puffed out because they have a knife. Except maybe some immature mall ninja types. But I'm sure we have all walked around with some type of ego. We are human and that is a pretty common stage of life. I would hate to think what you see in a person that chooses to conceal carry a gun. What you describe would get just about everyone arrested and I have heard of, well no one, being arrested because of the way they carry themselves while carrying a real weapon and not a simple pocket tool.

I also don't know anyone who lifts weight with the mindset that being strong is going to save someone. They do it because they like that form of exercise and to look good. God forbid someone wants to be able to take their shirt off and not have a lazy American gut hanging over their britches. Yeah some might want to be strong so they can protect themselves, though that doesn't help that much in a fight. Most just want to pick up girls.

I would imagine you are fairly young (nothing wrong with that) if you haven't seen the usefulness of a sharp tool in daily life and only see it as chest puffing. There used to be a time when it was said every gentleman had a pocket knife and a handkerchief. We are long past that. Now movies and the news portray knives as evil things and lots of people have bought into that mindset. Right or wrong, I don't let others fear of an inanimate object effect my views on the practicality of a tool and being prepared. I carry a lot of other things besides a knife to try and be prepared for the unknown that pops up in life. I also carry a Jack and spare tire instead of a AAA card. Much more convenient than being stuck on the side of the road for 2 hours relying on someone else to save your butt. Or thinking a cop that will take 15 minutes to respond is going to save you from everything. Taking some personal responsibility seems to be a thing of the past. BTW, I'm not very old and stuck in the glory days. I have seen my fair share of situations where I'm the one that has to fix a problem and led me to my mindset. I guess life effects everyone different which doesn't make their opinions right or wrong.

OK, THIS thread doesn't get locked or moved the W&C WHY? I could say I farted and get dinged for it, but this guy.......:grumpy:

And this is exactly the mindset I'm talking about. People like you probably walk around with your chest puffed out just because you carry a pocket knife. Like I said, your mindset is no different than a person who lifts weights just for that minute chance he'll have to lift a grand piano off of an old lady and be worshipped like a god among the peasants who only spend all their time on the treadmills at the gym. I love knives but a lot of the people in the knife community seem to have a delusions of grandeur.

Wrong. Funny thing is you have me all wrong. You don't know me. I don't walk around like that. I don't even own a knife that costs more than $120. I don't ever expect to be worshiped. I don't even care what you think. I just think that if it is legal to carry one, and someone chooses not to, they best not ask to use mine. I also don't flick mine out real loud. I'm discreet, even if it's legal. I think you are trying to put everyone in a box by what you read on this forum and you can't do that.

You really sound like you have a chip on your shoulder. Someone piss you off? Having a bad day?

Problem solving tool. Art of form and function. Fun hobby. In that order. Besides, a fella would have to constantly follow and watch a person to deem that individual void of the tool's usefulness.

Good thread IMO. My name is Archie & I have a knife problem?

but it had to be said

We need to get over this fantasy that our every thought is so insightful that it must be shared for the betterment of society.
[edited per Morrow's cautinary post #9]

It had to be said.:barf:

Last edited:
I carry a flashlight and a multi-tool too.
My watch has an altimeter/barometer/thermometer/moon phase and tide indicator.
I occasionally carry a handgun also.
Ex-Scout, go figure.
But, I don't really care what John or Jane Doe is carrying.
That is their problem.
Don't misunderstand me.
I'm not any "better' than the next guy.
Maybe just more prepared.
Or overly prepared.
Very well said, same here. Not better, just different. Personally, I don't really care what folks opinions are of me when I am out and about. I behave responsibly and do not give anyone a reason to be fearful. I think this annoyance is an annoyance in and of itself. I also work in. White collar environment, around executives, CEOs, CIOs, CFOs, HR Directors, etc, I can't say that I sit and flick a 4" folder carelessly or any other such behavior to draw negative attention to myself. people can live their life as they see fit; as long as they allow me to do the same.YMMV.

Read this: http://www.knives.com/knives/history/67-knives-and-evolution.html

To me carrying a knife, a flashlight and a way to make fire is as natural as grabbing my car keys, cell phone and my wallet. I actually don't understand why someone would NOT carry these tools as to me it's a part of being human. It's not about showing off my collection or anything like that. In fact I go out of my way to not show them off as I don't care what others think of my tools. My tools are carried for their intended purpose and not as some weird status symbol. Do I care if anyone else carries these things? No. However it sure is funny to have someone espouse to never needing a knife and then asking to borrow one. Same with the flashlight and lighter.

Real Talk always gets the concentrated firepower....... unless you are slingin' steel on a grinder to put food on the table, this is essentially a hobby.

Let's take the example of the 17 year old, Wal-Mart haunting goth kid with a shopping mall quality 7" fixed blade hanging off his belt. Why do you think he gets stares - because he's a good citizen just carrying around a useful tool?

Because someone looks at you sideways for flicking open your [FILLINTHEBACKKNIFEOFYOURCHOICE] does not make them weird, out of touch, or "sheeple." (go look up the origins of that phrase before you repeat it, ad ad nauseum, on your favorite Internet Hobby Forums)

Being discrete will always be my prefered carry method - YMMV :)

Sorry but we are way different than people who collect stamps. There is not a time that I can think of where in a time of need a stamp may help save someones life or free someone from a wrecked car. I think that the woman that had her child strangled to death by a scarf that got caught in an escalator would think that we are doing society a favor by carrying a knife.

There are so many things wrong with your post I don't even know where to begin.

Life and death situations like that do happen often enough, where your discrete edc could determine the outcome. I would like to think most of us here are more prepared to assist than the average......not an attitude of superiority over "non-knife" people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back