1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Thoughts on Youtuber Nick Shabazz

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by VermontEdge, Mar 15, 2017.

1. RipD

RipD Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Agree with all the Nick praise. On top of all the info he shares, he seems like a very decent human being who cares about others and tries to help.

I don't agree with everything he says. I suspect few of us do. Regardless of agreeing on preferences, he's very educational and he's really done a lot for awareness of quality, value, and for calling out knives that don't cut well.

Stang Bladeworks likes this.
  2. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead

Nov 6, 2017
    Hey Nick, thanks for the content. I like your reviews of bad knives especially. The humor is appreciated.

3. sgt1372

sgt1372

Oct 16, 2018
    Very long and rambling reviews that I skip through in order to glean the highlights.

He has clear biases that become apparent after watching/listening to just a few of his reviews -- like blade steels, overly "sharp" (unchamfered) non-blade edges and one hand operation, which aren't all that important to me. He often "beats a dead horse" by over-analyzing a specific aspect of a knife that he doesn't like. Doesn't make his opinion "right" but does make clear what he bases that opinion on.

Overall, I think his reviews are a positive contribution but I also think that he could pare them down substantially w/o reducing their value. What takes him 15 mins really should take only 5 at most.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    brownshoe likes this.
  4. NickShabazz

NickShabazz Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 10, 2014
    At risk of a long and rambling response :), thanks for the feedback!

Stang Bladeworks likes this.
  5. sgt1372

sgt1372

Oct 16, 2018
    You're welcome, Nick. :)

6. ribeyemediumrare

ribeyemediumrare

Oct 5, 2018
    The first youtube knife channel that i watched. so Ill give my thoughts:
    The videos could be shorter, but then again a lot knife videos seem to go around the 30 minute mark, at least Nick is entertaining, I find his cartoonish voice to be very relaxing when its in the background and Im doing something. He's very opinionated, which I appreciate compared to other boring reviews that just show you the knife and give you specs. What I dislike is the "good, bad, and ugly" theme because most of the time decent quality knives don't have much bad or ugly, so he ends up picking on some small thing like a little sharp corner and blowing it out of proportion, as well as blowing size out of proportion by calling many medium size knives huge. A knife and its handle shape, materials, blade shape, components might be designed exactly as the maker wanted it to be because it serves a particular purpose for a given task. Nick, as well as other reviewers will be completely ignorant to the purpose of the tool and call a feature ugly when in fact its well though out for its purpose. Also disagree with his criticism of anything tactical. The category of products is popular for a reason, people like buying gear marketed as tactical because it usually means its durable and you don't have to baby it, and because the design serves a purpose. A good example of all of this is the hinderer investigator pen, its a "tactical" pen, obviously not for everyone, but to make a review of a tactical pen, and criticize the purpose of what it is, complain about the sharp tip , and rough texture , is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. That same mentality is used to evaluate a lot the knives.
    At the end of the day though, its a guys opinion on a knife and we all make mistakes and cant know everything about every product. Overall very good content, says whats on his mind and is quite a character

NickShabazz and kreisler like this.
  7. yotgguitar

yotgguitar

Nov 19, 2018
    I'm somewhat new to the hobby... I'm just now getting into the higher end knives...
    I've watched a couple of his videos.... He's a pretty good reviewer, although I will admit, I thought he was just faking that voice to be unique...
    I now realize that's his real accent ... And it sets him apart from the rest... Nothing wrong with being unique, that's for sure... Especially in a world full of "SHEEPLE"!
    If he reads this, I want to thank you for taking time to do what you do... It really helps guys and gals who are new to the higher end offerings out there.

NickShabazz likes this.
  8. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Nick has been putting out ALOT of content for a long time.

I appreciate the videos, it costs us basically nothing (WiFi/data), and has value.

I also appreciate his consistency and the simple qualities of his videos.

Thanks for all the hours of entertainment, opinions, and subject matter Nick!

NickShabazz likes this.