Some Thoughts on Youtuber Nick Shabazz

What more could you ask for?
A less annoying voice :D
He demonstrated an ability for imitating accents in his old Medford praetorian disassembly, so he can do it!

He demonstrated an ability for imitating accents in his old Medford praetorian disassembly, so he can do it!
Not only that, but the "Nick Shabazz" voice itself is something of a put-on! Listen to his first couple of videos if you're curious. What a gem.

Not only that, but the "Nick Shabazz" voice itself is something of a put-on! Listen to his first couple of videos if you're curious. What a gem.
:D yep now and then I'll click one of his vids and hear the accent waning in some and stronger in others. Until something gives I guess I'll have to settle for his well-put comments.

Nick is one of my go to reviewers when considering a knife purchase. He definiltey is not the be all end all of anything and doesn’t try to be. His attention to detail is great and the way he breaks down his rating categories is easy to understand. I also, like others, have to mention how much frustration his disassembly videos have saved me. In the end he’s one person with an opinon and voicing it, and what a voice it is. To top it all off I’ve had a few interactions with him on Instagram. He is always helpful courteous and comes across as a real down to earth person. What more could you ask for?

What more could one ask for from a "go to reviewer"? Carry the knife for a week or two and actually use it to cut a bunch of stuff.

What more could one ask for from a "go to reviewer"? Carry the knife for a week or two and actually use it to cut a bunch of stuff.
Nick is more of an EDC reviewer, light duty type stuff. Or so I recall him saying.

Which is fine too because a lot of folks are getting into knives through the whole EDC thing. It's making knives more acceptable and hopefully changing people's opinions on them, which will change the country's archaic knife laws (in certain parts).

I too come to/at knives from an EDC point of view. Have only been "into" them for a few months, although I've carried little Kershaw 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton knives for years. While I admire higher end ($$) knives I know I will never have the resources to own them. So my viewing tends to run that way also.

Seriously, how can you get angry at a reviewer who refers to himself as “a random jackass with an opinion” and “not a brilliant man”. If you don’t like his opinions, watch a different channel.

He has said many times that he is an acoustic engineer, and as part of his daily tasks, he has to use his knives to slice foam. If you have ever tried to slice foam, it is probably one of the most difficult substances to slice cleanly and requires a very thin slicey blade. So I understand why Nick tends to have a bias against thick pry-bar type knives.

That said, if the tasks you use your knives for are less slicey and more hard use, then you would probably have different opinions. But there is no need to criticize Nick.

Seriously, how can you get angry at a reviewer who refers to himself as “a random jackass with an opinion” and “not a brilliant man”. If you don’t like his opinions, watch a different channel.

He has said many times that he is an acoustic engineer, and as part of his daily tasks, he has to use his knives to slice foam. If you have ever tried to slice foam, it is probably one of the most difficult substances to slice cleanly and requires a very thin slicey blade. So I understand why Nick tends to have a bias against thick pry-bar type knives.

That said, if the tasks you use your knives for are less slicey and more hard use, then you would probably have different opinions. But there is no need to criticize Nick.
Agree. Another point in his favour is that he responds to criticism here, not all of it reasonable and some of it personal, with good humour and good grace. He is a class act, in my view. How many YouTubers have flounced off forums, their petticoats all awhirl, because the narcissistic little darlings couldn’t take the lumps? I have lost count.

His vids are useful, often amusing, and it is all entirely free to watch.

I like Nicks reviews although my knife needs/uses are different than his I feel he's a good source for me to go get a good indepth review of a knife from a different perspective and user. It aids in my decision seeing his end of the spectrum versus what my end of the spectrum is on a knife and its useability. And I also find some of his videos pretty hilarious and I like the fact that he doesn't seem to take himself to seriously and doesn't fall into the typical reviewer category IMO.

Well he calls himself a jackass and "not a brilliant man" but his demeanor belies it. Per no need to cricize Shabazz, Nick criticizes a lot of things, made a mini career of it, so as they say "turnabout is fair play." :) I stumbled across his EDC missive, his selection of personal "keeper knives" says more about him than any comments in this thread.

Well he calls himself a jackass and "not a brilliant man" but his demeanor belies it. Per no need to cricize Shabazz, Nick criticizes a lot of things, made a mini career of it, so as they say "turnabout is fair play." :) I stumbled across his EDC missive, his selection of personal "keeper knives" says more about him than any comments in this thread.
You seem salty.

Whats wrong with the knives he chooses to keep?

Whats wrong with the knives he chooses to keep?

Nothing "wrong" w/his collection (at least based on the Mar 2018 video of his collection that I saw just saw) BUT it is a pretty eclectic selection which proves (at least to me) that we share very few opinions about what knives to buy and keep.

We would share a closer point of view based on his video on which EDC s that you "should buy or handle." However, I find it odd that there are no (or few, if any) knives that are in both videos, based on my recollection of those videos.

Last edited:
I just stumbled across this thread, and I thought I'd give my thoughts on Nick's videos.

I find them very helpful, very thorough, and nice and concise. He does an excellent job of noticing small details, as well as large ones, and gives you a great idea of the overall quality, design, and fit and finish.

The only thing I have against his videos is really not anything against him at all, but more against myself. I work on a farm, so I use my knives very often. And I always have to remind myself that it doesn't matter if the knife has outlandish branding, or a shallow carry clip (in some cases), or slightly uneven scales, and that the knife will still be use able, even if it has a mark against it in the ugly department. My only thought is that he isn't a hard knife user, and that his videos should be viewed as such. That said, I find the information invaluable, and he will always be a trusted name to turn to for an opinion.

He was one of the first reviewers I watched when I got into the knife hobby and after getting used to that accent I'm now a big fan. He's a pretty funny guy and always tries to include something to complain about which I appreciate :) I haven't disagreed with too much of what he has said so far so I'll continue watching.

At first I didn't like his voice, but I gave him another chance and watched a few more videos. He is now honestly my favorite knife reviewer, he's funny, interesting, knowledgeable, and shares a lot of the same EDC needs that I do on a daily basis. I agree with him on most matters and really appreciate his content and think he's a great voice in the knife community.

I'd rather watch The Cutlery Lover. Jeff Smith varies his content and is easier on the ears. His story time vids are pretty funny and he is personable as well.

Back