something i have always done for free - Knife Sharpening

anytime you want to come over around or after noon is ok, just let me know. bring your dull knives and i'll teach you how to use the wheels. i forgot where you are at. send me an email.

just got a set of wheeks from woodcraft,,far as I know they are the same ones you recommend, made in Ca,,called the razor sharp edgemaking system, I am going to set them up tomorrow on my grinder,,I am looking forward to trying them out , I have a 1/30 belt system now and it works great,,I am planning on trying to start a part time business in the future, I will be retiring in a few yrs and want a lil something I can do to make a lil extra money,,and as I enjoy sharpening anyway I am going to give it a shot,,am already doing all my friends and families knives now,,I want to thank you for all the info I have gotten from reading your posts,,I feel I will have no trouble getting the wheels to do what I need, I will update you tomorrow after I use the wheels for a bit,,

Haven't read the whole thread, because, well, I have Adult ADHD.:p
Just wanted to chime in and say I provide this same 'no charge' service for my neighbors, friends and family.
I have all the tools and the skill set so, why not?:thumbup:
I tell them to use my services while I'm still around. Ain't gonna be around forever, so...

This is a great thing your doing, Richard.
Good karma seeks out folks like you.:cool:

misque, i'm glad to know you're doing the same thing for public servants :thumbup: :D. i make sure to check in at the fire department often and see if anyone has a dull duty knife. it could make a big difference in cutting the seatbelt to get someone out of a vehicle in a hurry. i make sure they know where i live so they can stop in and get knives or scissors sharpened. i use paper wheels to sharpen with. check out my thread on them if you havent already http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578787

Richard, I'm a FF and that's exactly what I would like to do; sharpen knives for the guys. Can you email me what you use and how you go about it? I'd appreciate it. Thanks! ~Frank~ FireChef@cox.net ( That's CHEF not CHIEF!)

Richard J does amazing work. He made an old knife that I was going to get rid of a new favorite with a convex grind (I paid of course). I don't serve the public, but if I did, I would pay him anyways.

very nice offer, this activity involves some effort. i once did all the deer camps knives. 82 of them on a lo-ray power belt system. took 3.5 hours. it really is great of yourself to help all these people .
dennis

dennis, you should have seen me when i had to sharpen 241 brand new knives for the atlanta blade show that never had an edge. it took me 17 hours total (over a 2 day period) and most knives had 2-3 blades each. he only had to touch up less than 10.

Last edited:
anyone wanting my card to print up so they can hang it in their station can send me an email. it has my info for free sharpening.

Back