Sorry, I'm not going to Friend you on Facebook.

I do not A$$book but I can see that it certainly has its uses and can be convenient but the big difference for me is that I set aside time and sit at my desk top to do my stuff. It is my tool, not vice versa. It is there when it want it, not when anyone assumes I have all the time in the world to listen to their brain droppings. And, I'm not on-line while: ignoring the people I'm with; walking into traffic, fountains, sign posts or telephone poles; driving and endangering all within near proximity. Same goes for my phone. A tool for my convenience, not yours. (Present company excepted.)
Pete
Post Script: Yes, I assume that I am there on Facebook. I did the minimum to 'like' Busse Combat and 'Knife Hunter' and have otherwise ignored it. Friend requests and other notifications go directly to my 'Junk' folder and are deleted without view or reply. Nothing personal. I simply will not use it to 'interact'.
PS

I hate facebook but before I deactivated my account gotta say, I got some killer deals via the knife groups and such. Also handy if you join local city groups for multiple reasons (getting bargains/recommendations/sourcing help etc). Got an original shbm on there a few months back actually, cant knock that.

Just a FYI as a guy that has been on facebook for a while.

You can have lots of friends without seeing everything they post and keep in contact with them at the same time.

Do not un-friend, do not, not be friends, just hide or not follow :)

I have some "friends" that I do not see what they had for lunch or whatnot but they are still friends, feelings still in tact :)

It will save you lots of sanity :) and no ones feelings get hurt.

Hope that helps.

I'm not going to defend it and I have unfriended people that post too much but I do like it for the people I have lost touch with over the years. I had no idea how to get in contact with some of my college friends from 20 years ago until Facebook. Back then when you moved you got a new phone number.

This is where the "like" function comes in handy :)
I like Jerry's comment :)

Yeah, have to agree with Eric on the deals to be had. I've filled an entire 3 car garage with gym equipment for pennies compared to what it would have cost retail. I've joined a few knife groups ( but never seen a SHBM....boo) And keeping up with old army buddies is a bonus.

Working nights, there's a lot of down time and it's great to help stay awake.

No offense to those on it....but I've never spent a second of my time on there and never will........last time I went to the post office to get stamps I was talking to the cashier there and said yea I'm mailing my friend a letter, she looked confused and said "Don't you have Facebook?" , I said what is that with a smerk...and said my kids WILL still know how to mail a letter when they grow up. When I was a kid we had "pen pals" ......say that to a kid nowadays....they think you're an alien.

Do not un-friend, do not, not be friends, just hide or not follow :)

True. I have a cousin who posts constantly about dog rescue, so I put her on ignore or hide, and now my page is not filled with her drivel.

Now, If I could just get away from all the ridiculous stuff that resinwife shares... :rolleyes::foot:

True. I have a cousin who posts constantly about dog rescue, so I put her on ignore or hide, and now my page is not filled with her drivel.

Now, If I could just get away from all the ridiculous stuff that resinwife shares... :rolleyes::foot:

When you figure that out my friend I will pay you in infi for your secrets...

I completely understand where you all are coming from :)

Now if you guys would go on Instagram facebook would look very inviting :)

Im shocked that you guys dont want to hear about what i had for lunch, see 100 pictures of my kids every second, and read about my hopes, dreams, and feelings...

whats a fellow to do :rolleyes:

Probably the most shocking social networking trend I am seeing is that ( a lot of ) people find it socially acceptable to try to hold a face 2 face convo whilst updating/checking posts...

I would feel better if the non-surfing individual would walk away in disgust-- but instead (most of the time) they stand there & try to engage the social networker while largely being ignored...wtf? :confused:

Also, I wonder if anyone has got the kahunas to do a study about how much of the USA's GDP is wasted due to surfing social networking while on the clock?

There's always been goldbricks on the job since the time of pyramid building, but smartphones have made it OH SO MUCH EASIER to waste time under the guise of "keeping busy"

I work with one dude who says he "just checks his Instagram a couple of times per day--" Me & 2 other co-workers kept him in our sights for almost an entire shift & tallied up how many times he pulled out his iPhone

drumroll, please >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>107 TIMES in an 8.5 hour shift-- NOT COUNTING LUNCH & 2 15 min. breaks ( we let him have free range then )....:eek::eek::eek:

we told him...he said "Oh well, I guess that is a lot" ( unfazed )...:eek:

And he's not the most hardcore user at my job-- he's just the one I knew wouldn't care being surreptitiously observed for a shift.

Think about some you know like that (or worse) and multiply it by the total workforce in America that update/check @ work...it IS NOT A TRIFLING AMOUNT...and yet most folks don't seem to care to reform their ways :mad:

<old fart rant over & out>

Everything you said is true except "lets drink", because we both have been drinking for sometime already

Its a day later and I STILL second all that was said by both of you! haha

wait, where did my drink go! Damn single malt keeps disappearing right out of the damn glass!

I'm pretty sure heavy FB usage leads to increased dissatisfaction with one's present state of affairs and general distraction with real life rather than providing any real benefit. I know of more than one friend whose life it has wrecked, for instance. The planet wouldn't miss its absence one bit.

rant over. is it 5 o'clock yet?

Have family al over the usa. 80% of my friends are family. It how I keep in touch with them. We organize our family reunions on it. It is a serect group. So u can't even search for it.

But on the other note. I follow a bunch of gun, knife, motorcycle stuff on there as well. Keeps me in formed of new laws and when it is time to send letters to government to get new gun and knife laws passed.

I don't FB. The cons far outweigh the pros. Exclusive bargains, discounts, giveaways and opportunities exist for many things but everything one posts (even when set to "private" and much like on forums) is never really private. Once something is stored digitally, it's security is forever compromised...see recent news on data leaks/hacks.

Mark Zuckerberg is a little too creepy for me.

Then again, I don't even do banking on line.

I don't believe in staying "connected" to people through Facebook and similar. If you're a friend or a family member, I will see you in person or make a phone call. People seem to have forgotten how to communicate with the people they care about. I'm not anti-technology or against leaning new things. I'm against stupefying the human race. Staring at stupid info about people's lives that you don't really care about isn't healthy. Thinking your silly posts about what you ate for dinner, actually matters to people that weren't there, is a bit self-indulgent. Plus I don't want my kids seeing me spend so much time in the virtual world. I'd rather spend my free time with them. When they are old enough to go online by themselves, I don't want them making mistakes like putting too much of their own personal info out there. I see too many parents spending way too much time staring at their phones all day long instead of enjoying their kids. How do you think their kids will act when they get older? We are raising a generation of zombies.
OK I'm done. Next person in line for the soapbox.

I totally agree with this post. I would like to add, though it doesn't matter to me what someone had for lunch I sure as heck want to know what they cut it with !! LOL

I'm tending to believe more and more that social 'media' such as Facebook really do not bring us closer together as popular belief would lend to…..

A friend of mine's sister had a really awful miscarriage not too long ago and he said to me when I was talking with him about it at the bar that only ONE person out of dozens of friends actually went so far as to call him to talk following this….. instead most chose to simply write something along the lines of 'sorry for your loss' blah blah blah on social media.

Just sad really, I think if anything at best it may just give the illusion of really being more connected to one another. I certainly don't feel more connected in this 'golden age' of social networking…… :foot:

I like Facebook, idiots posting every idea that escapes in their minds, criminals posting their latest scores from burglaries, snowflakes getting all butthurt becuase everyone doesn't agree with their ideals.

Any angel gets it's wings everytime a liberal blocks me.....
Hahaha........ Now that's funny!

Back