Spear-Carriers!

Here's one I didn't like so much at first, and not because of the blade. I love it now. It's ground exceptionally thin, to a very nice tip and with a top shelf sharpening notch.

46774045375_55975b8c9f_b.jpg

40723689403_ce1987ef97_b.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement, Dwight & Will. :)

Will, whenever you post that knife, I break the Tenth Commandment about not coveting! :rolleyes:

- GT

GT It's a nice knife that I got for not too much, very beautiful & unusual horn that has shown no tendency to warp, unlike some.

As for covetousness ....Well, I don't know, I can honestly say I have never envied other people except if they have robust health. As for their goods, pretty temporal. I find a lot of veracity in what the Buddhists say, A Man is What He Thinks. Intentions are vital, not masks of niceness, then envy turns to admiration, and that's not too bad :)

For we are so inclined by nature that no one desires to see another have as much as himself, and each one acquires as much as he can; the other may fare as best he can. And yet we pretend to be godly, know how to adorn ourselves most finely and conceal our rascality, resort to and invent adroit devices and deceitful artifices (such as now are daily most ingeniously contrived) as though they were derived from the law codes; yea, we even dare impertinently to refer to it, and boast of it, and will not have it called rascality, but shrewdness and caution. In this lawyers and jurists assist, who twist and stretch the law to suit it to their cause, stress words and use them for a subterfuge, irrespective of equity or their neighbor's necessity. And, in short, whoever is the most expert and cunning in these affairs finds most help in law, as they themselves say: Vigilantibus iura subveniunt [that is, The laws favor the watchful].

— Martin Luther, The Large Catechism[58

Luther had a point too, but was it a Spear? :D:D;)

Thanks, Will

Here's one I didn't like so much at first, and not because of the blade. I love it now. It's ground exceptionally thin, to a very nice tip and with a top shelf sharpening notch.

46774045375_55975b8c9f_b.jpg

40723689403_ce1987ef97_b.jpg
This looks just great!
Did you sand down the bone a little, or did it get new handle scales?

GT It's a nice knife that I got for not too much, very beautiful & unusual horn that has shown no tendency to warp, unlike some.

As for covetousness ....Well, I don't know, I can honestly say I have never envied other people except if they have robust health. As for their goods, pretty temporal. I find a lot of veracity in what the Buddhists say, A Man is What He Thinks. Intentions are vital, not masks of niceness, then envy turns to admiration, and that's not too bad :)

For we are so inclined by nature that no one desires to see another have as much as himself, and each one acquires as much as he can; the other may fare as best he can. And yet we pretend to be godly, know how to adorn ourselves most finely and conceal our rascality, resort to and invent adroit devices and deceitful artifices (such as now are daily most ingeniously contrived) as though they were derived from the law codes; yea, we even dare impertinently to refer to it, and boast of it, and will not have it called rascality, but shrewdness and caution. In this lawyers and jurists assist, who twist and stretch the law to suit it to their cause, stress words and use them for a subterfuge, irrespective of equity or their neighbor's necessity. And, in short, whoever is the most expert and cunning in these affairs finds most help in law, as they themselves say: Vigilantibus iura subveniunt [that is, The laws favor the watchful].

Thanks, Will
Thank you for sharing these thoughts!

Al, that's some beautiful celluloid, never seen that one before!
Thanks, Jeff!
Thanks very much:thumbsup: I can see some similarities to the GEC Conductor which is a scaled down version, again the Queen DNA morphing to GEC with Bill Howard.

Al, I don't forget that you made me a very generous gift of a BB Teardrop, such kindness:cool:

iyE5FWU.jpg

I strongly agree with Jeff @black mamba , that Cell Shap is rich and beautiful, kind of 'watermarked' effect:D

Regards, Will

Thanks, Will! The BB Teardrop found a wonderful home!

A little more on the Shapleigh...
WFPUXqi.jpg

A Christmas present from long ago that perhaps was so cherished that the recipient couldn't bring himself to use it. Or maybe it was simply misplaced and found only when the original owner's estate was disposed of. One of the fascinating things about old knives and old stuff, in general, is there's always a story... one we most likely will never know.

— Martin Luther, The Large Catechism
Excellent. Thanks Will.

A Christmas present from long ago that perhaps was so cherished that the recipient couldn't bring himself to use it. Or maybe it was simply misplaced and found only when the original owner's estate was disposed of. One of the fascinating things about old knives and old stuff, in general, is there's always a story... one we most likely will never know.
Beautiful and well said.

IMG_3362.jpeg

Thanks, Will
Thanks for your thoughts and the quote, Will. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Luther nailed it! ;)
I need to start finding occasions to use "rascality". :rolleyes:
Rather sobering to me that humans haven't seemed to make much progress in 500 years in the area Luther addresses. :(

Here's another Spanish spearpoint:
bigstagLB.mark.open.jpg

- GT

Back