Speed checks, "pass it down", proxies, please read.

I don't really have a dog in this fight and perhaps shouldn't even bother saying anything but I figured a bit of an outsider's perspective may or may not be relevant.

My HDFK is perhaps my most prized fixed blade and is the only CPK I own. Due to the kindness of a forum member as well as the Carothers family, I was able to purchase this knife directly from the source (as they say). Since acquiring it and appreciating its excellence, I have wanted a smaller CPK to go along with it. However, I long ago discovered that forum sales (aka shark feeds) are not for me. Not only am I not an adrenaline junkie but I very rarely have the time to be available for these sales. That isn't a matter of "not wanting it badly enough" or whatever other hyperbole one might cast on another, it is simply the predicament of the professional.

Admittedly, when I first became a member on these forums and began to see all the amazing knives that were being made and sold, I would get put off by these types of sales. I wasn't fast enough, was never in the right place at the right time, etc. Over time, I realized that in the end, you win some and you lose some. I've acquired some very fine knives over my relatively brief stint here and I've also seen many fine knives slip through my fingers. I realized that I shouldn't bemoan the "what-could-have-been", rather, I should enjoy those that made it to me all the more.

I guess my overall point is this: These types of conversations pop up all over the place in the forums. Jilted losers, triumphant winners, and disgruntled grouches alike usually have something to say about these sorts of things, whether it be positive or negative. All I really have to say about that is, ultimately, patience pays off and making lasting friendships can pay off even more. Many of the knives I have, I have because of friends I have made here. I guess, in the end, does it matter more to be first in line or is it more meaningful to build relationships? YMMV, as the acronym goes...

Back