Spyderco Brad Southard Flipper

Dang so much money will be spent on spyderco in the coming months. Why did they have to go and make so many wonderfully designed knives this year? Curses Sal. Your genius is quite foreboding.

If we are fortunate enough, perhaps they will heat treat the lockbar like the Techno?

I realized I never came back and update you guys with the final word on the Lockface. It is not carbidized or a steel insert, it is however heat hardened at the lockface, Just like the Chris Reeves Sebenza, or the Spyderco Techno. An excellent way to prevent wear.

I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

Yes..thought the same thing. Wish the handle was a tad longer or the finger choil inched up a little closer.

I think you guys will like it, Ive got pretty large hands myself. I generally get Large or X-large gloves if that gives you an idea, and the knife handle fits me perfectly. Also works great for my wife, who has tiny little hands. Haha

I really wanted to fit as much blade into the handle as possible, without a ton of excess. Aspects of flipper geometry didnt allow us to push the choil any farther forward. Hope you get a chance to handle one, shoot me a pm or email, Id love to hear feedback!

I think you guys will like it, Ive got pretty large hands myself. I generally get Large or X-large gloves if that gives you an idea, and the knife handle fits me perfectly. Also works great for my wife, who has tiny little hands. Haha

I really wanted to fit as much blade into the handle as possible, without a ton of excess. Aspects of flipper geometry didnt allow us to push the choil any farther forward. Hope you get a chance to handle one, shoot me a pm or email, Id love to hear feedback!

And this right here is why bladeforums is a great place. Both the owner of the company and the designer of the knife posting here and answering customer questions. Now if we could just get either of them to tell us when we might be able to snag one...

For some reason whenever the designer speaks up in a forum it always makes me want to go buy one. Brad, you just cost me a couple hundred bucks. LOL

JD

Guys, this is one great folder been playing with mine for an hour. I'm in line for the Spyderco sale in Golden.:thumbup:

How many will be made?

sorry too lazy to read whole gigantic thread

I realized I never came back and update you guys with the final word on the Lockface. It is not carbidized or a steel insert, it is however heat hardened at the lockface, Just like the Chris Reeves Sebenza, or the Spyderco Techno. An excellent way to prevent wear.

I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

I think raw titanium works fine as a lock-face material. Many makers have used it over the years with good results.
Proper lock geometry and design are more important than carbidizing and steel lock-face inserts. Whatever works. ;)

A flipper with a Spydie-hole and a superb blade-steel... this knife is gonna be a hit, for sure. :D

Very impressed with everything on this flipper.

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

I have to say the Southard is a lot more comfortable and natural feeling in “my” hand then my ZT 0561.

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

Now the real question is who is going to be the first one to throw a custom scale on this beast...?

Are the handle scales the same thickness? Like the lock side scale and the non lock side with the G10 are they the same?

Back