Spyderco Spyderco Drunken Thoughts?

Ah cool, that makes sense and is kind of annoying. Display the price you pay and not some artificial one.

People in the "know" already know about the OpFocus program. It's common knowledge to those who have been around; just takes time for others (like you) to learn about it.

Spyderco only lists its knives at MSRP. Dealers list at MAP until the knife is discontinued when they can lower the price further (if they like) to clear out their inventory.

However, there is already 2ndary market action in the Drunken on EB with asking prices over MAP at $475 and $510 (including shipping) on 2 right now as I write this msg.

Personally I think it looks like a stretched out ZT 0456. I don't see anything about it that makes it more or less appealing than the 0456, other than price, so I would go 0456. You may disagree though.

Different strokes for different folks.

I've got an 0456 that I'm selling and bought the Drunken because it looks better and is more appealing than the 0456 to me.

It also helps that the price that I am paying for the Drunken is no more than what I've paid for certain ZTs but I wouldn't buy it at MAP because I have an absolute limit of $400 on any knife that I buy which would automatically rule the Drunken out for me, as it will for the Paysan.

And some others have mentioned ZT lock failure. I haven't had that issue with the many ZTs I've owned. Seems some people have a problem with every single ZT and others never see any issues. Not sure what's up with that, but if you're one of the lucky guys who doesn't have ZT issues, I'd recommend that direction.

Several very long threads already posted on this "issue." The "ZT lock failure" I've read about seems to involve inflicting very severe and unrealistic abuse on the knife; like smashing it repeatedly w/a mallet on the spine to induce failure. I've still got 26 ZTs (just sold a 0450) and I do not treat my knives that way and therefore have NEVER experienced any "ZT lock failures."

Last edited:
Several very long threads already posted on this "issue." The "ZT lock failure" I've read about seems to involve inflicting very severe and unrealistic abuse on the knife; like smashing it repeatedly w/a mallet on the spine to induce failure. I've still got 26 ZTs (just sold a 0450) and I do not treat my knives that way and therefore have NEVER experienced any "ZT lock failures."
This is very wrong. You might go back and read these threads and watch the videos that show how easy it is for this to happen.

This is very wrong. You might go back and read these threads and watch the videos that show how easy it is for this to happen.
Dude, let it go o_O

We get it, you don't like ZT's so don't buy them (I have not in a long time just because I don't care for their newer pocket jewelry models). Your continual bashing is getting old...you reply to members who have no real world user issues with Youtube references, etc. so let's stick to the topic.

Dude, let it go o_O

We get it, you don't like ZT's so don't buy them (I have not in a long time just because I don't care for their newer pocket jewelry models). Your continual bashing is getting old...you reply to members who have no real world user issues with Youtube references, etc. so let's stick to the topic.
He was spreading false information.

According to the specs, the Drunken is 2 oz lighter than the 0456CF. It's barely heavier than a 940-1.

I would like to be able to see one in person, but it does look pretty good.

Someone please explain to me again how this is a $410 knife? I just don’t get it.

It should be a $300 knife imo. That being said, it is now my favorite knife. It is very light, very comfortable, addicting action to fidget with, very very thin in pocket (from pics thought would be thick), and small milling details are beautiful. Love love the design but QC could have been better. Mine has slight 5 percent centering issue and being one of their premier knives it should not. Will keep and make it my beater EDC i think and get another someday when they announce being discontinued. Like I should have on the Slysz Bowie.

But it is amazing knife and it quickly leaped ahead of all my others. Now to see if the Paysan can unseat it when it drops.

It should be a $300 knife imo. That being said, it is now my favorite knife. It is very light, very comfortable, addicting action to fidget with, very very thin in pocket (from pics thought would be thick), and small milling details are beautiful. Love love the design but QC could have been better. Mine has slight 5 percent centering issue and being one of their premier knives it should not. Will keep and make it my beater EDC i think and get another someday when they announce being discontinued. Like I should have on the Slysz Bowie.

But it is amazing knife and it quickly leaped ahead of all my others. Now to see if the Paysan can unseat it when it drops.
Any other "issues" besides centering? How's the detent?

Hating on ZT in a Spyderco thread is a bit off topic. Also, you're just wrong on this one. It seems like you just dislike ZT and are using the lock thing as a coverup to hate. Chill out.

Hoping the discontinued price on this is low, as its still a pretty sick looking knife.

Reactions: AF
Hating on ZT in a Spyderco thread is a bit off topic. Also, you're just wrong on this one. It seems like you just dislike ZT and are using the lock thing as a coverup to hate. Chill out.

Hoping the discontinued price on this is low, as its still a pretty sick looking knife.
If you can read I'm not hating on anything but telling him that what he said is not true. Go re read the threads and vids that describe how it happens.

Last edited:
Any other "issues" besides centering? How's the detent?
No issues, and I played with the pivot and got the centering a degree or two closer. So, at this stage I would say centering is not perfect, but not an issue. Detent is not strong, like a Reate flipper, but not weak. I like it where it is just fine. I can Spydie flick it just fine, and thumb flick it great to, but prefer to just roll out.

This video shows me doing that and apologize for it cutting off half way thru. Guess Imgur has size limits.

https://imgur.com/a/LYkmSiW

Knife enthusiast "me" of 2 or 3 years ago would have been all over this puppy, but IMO it just isn't compelling these days. The weight really is impressive though, from what I've heard/seen so far.

Just received a Drunken. :)

Spyderco-Drunken-folding-knife-carbon-fiber-S90V-blade-steel-titanium-edc-tool-1.jpg

Nice knife. Smaller, thinner and lighter than I thought it would be. The design/size of the pivot screw (as well as the general shape of the blade and handle) is very reminiscent of a ZT.

Closest knife that I have like it (in terms of design/size/weight) is a ZT0770, which is slightly lighter and smaller. It's nothing like a ZT0456 in terms of size/shape, which feels very heavy, fat and bulky in my hand; not so the Drunken. Don't have a 0456CF and have never handled one, but I doubt that it's as light as the Drunken is either.

I like the rippled ("drunken") pattern on the CF which reflects the light in a very pleasing way; the Ti back scale is rippled to match but isn't as attractive as the CF to me. I also like the muted blue annodized pivot screw head & clip; very understated. Would have looked better IMO if they annodized the polished heads of the scale/clip screws to match or at least left them unpolished instead. On the other hand, there's no lock stick and I like the polished "stonewashed" looking finish of the S90V blade which is similar in appearance to the Hanan and other Southard blades.

The things that I don't like are: 1) the raised tip of the clip which I can feel poking my (3rd and/or 4th) finger tips when opening the knife using the Spydie hole w/my thumb which is annoying; already pressed the tip down slightly, which reduces but does not entirely eliminate the problem, 2) the body of the clip lies very flat against the scale, which makes it difficult to slide the knife into/out of my pocket; don't think flattening the tip had any affect on this; may not use the clip as a result and 3) the fact that you can't use your 3rd finger to flick it open (the Ti liner lock is in the way). Lefties also won't like that it is a right hand only knife.

However, I just discovered that the detent is light enough so that I can wrist flick the knife open w/out using the Spydie hole; just like I can wrist flick open a Starmate. So, the inability to flick open the knife w/your 3rd finger is irrelevant. Some may not like this but I certainly do. Just add a better designed clip and I'd be entirely happy.

So, is it "worth" $409.50 at MAP? It is if you like it and are willing to pay the price. Not, if you're not. The clip aside, I like it and plan to keep it.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone, super new to the forum but have been lurking a bit and seen that it's a great group of folks. I was curious of everyone's thoughts on the Spyderco Drunken. I personally love Dmitry Sinkevich designs and the look/aesthetic of the Drunken as a whole. I've never personally owned a knfie with S90v steel but have read that it performs quite well. I know that it hasn't released yet and I'm not sure when it will, but what are your thoughts on the price point of it? Is it a reasonable price for what it's asking. I'm kind of thinking we simply won't know until we have it in hand. I'm curious to hear everyone else's takes on it.

Mine just arrived today ! A terrific knife with a weak clip. Blade, handle, fit and finish all great, and the action is the best of any Spyderco I've handled. But the clip does not work well with jeans unless slightly sprung, and then it's too loose except at the very top. Yet the knife is fabulous. Have to decide if I'm going to keep it before I remove the clip and bend it to suit. Not somehting one should have to do at a this price. Been waiting for more than a year for this one.

Mine just arrived today ! A terrific knife with a weak clip. Blade, handle, fit and finish all great, and the action is the best of any Spyderco I've handled. But the clip does not work well with jeans unless slightly sprung, and then it's too loose except at the very top. Yet the knife is fabulous. Have to decide if I'm going to keep it before I remove the clip and bend it to suit. Not somehting one should have to do at a this price. Been waiting for more than a year for this one.
Okay that is good to know, honestly very compelling! I'm hoping that maybe it's not an issue across the board and that maybe it's just your model, only time will tell.

Okay that is good to know, honestly very compelling! I'm hoping that maybe it's not an issue across the board and that maybe it's just your model, only time will tell.

The Drunken is the same size as the Manix 2, and to me it feels almost as comfortable in the hand. FOr me, if it were a half inch longer, it would be perfect. Again, the action is divine. Not quite drop shut just yet, but smooth and responsive. I imagine it would break in.

Last edited:
I'm keeping it. Will work with the clip. The Drunken is the same size as the Manix 2, and to me it even feels better in the hand, if you can imagine that ! Again, the action is divine. Not quite drop shut just yet, but smooth and responsive.
Very glad to hear that, maybe once I get this Olamic Wayfarer sold off, I'll pick one of them up! Do you think it's worth the price?

How's the detent? Is it weak sauce?

Back