Spyderco/Farid K2

Thanks, Mastiff. I was wondering about its corrosion resistance. Have an M4 blade that rusted on me as I sharpened it so I get worried with some of these steels. Cruwear and 3V has been good to me so hopefully same with this. Good info!

These steels aren't stainless so even more than the very corrosion resistant class of steels these steels ( 3V, Cruwear, CPM M4, 4V, etc.) can vary a lot from knife to knife ( say Spyderco 3V vs. Bark River 3V). The differences in the way they were heat treated and tempered, at what temps, and how they were finished ie: hand satin or blasted, can affect the steels about as much as changing steels outright. If you had problems with CPM M4 but not Cruwear , it could change to the opposite in different knives. The finishes, and heat treats really do make a difference. When I say it's in the same grouping as steel "B" take it with a grain of salt as steel "B" can vary greatly from knife to knife. Always begin very carefully until you get to know that knife better. Personally I've found CPM M4 to be pretty rust resistant, and in the knives I used it was. If I tried the one you used I likely would have gotten the same results you did.

I'm not talking about quality problems either. Some steels need higher heats to reach the performance the maker desires and typically that will make the steel slightly less corrosion resistant than middle of the road temps. Couple that high heat with a not so highly finished blade and you have a knife that will corrode much easier than a different knife in the same steel.

Once again it's not a quality control problem just the way it was made. Toughness and wear resistance are affected by heat treat too. Usually if the steel is ran for the highest wear resistance it will have lower toughness and corrosion

Joe

Just got mine yesterday, and thus far has been great. I can do the Spyderco flick no problem, and closing has been no problem. Actually, there may have been 2 times at most where the lock felt sticky, but for all the other times its been great. I mean it does take some pressure, but its still no problem.

Thanks Jeff at the Cutlery Shoppe for his excellent service, received K2 today. Works great centered blade , flicks easy , thinner then the titanium Military spot on fit and finish and feels like quality .

Gooey, I'm pulling the trigger on a production version, and I'm pretty pumped. After seeing your post though, I'm considering having someone put scales on it (obviously dependent on how it feels in hand from the factory). Can you post a pic of the lock side of your K2? I'm curious to see how you attached that scale, as the non locking side screw configuration probably wouldn't work with a lockbar cutout.

Gooey, I'm pulling the trigger on a production version, and I'm pretty pumped. After seeing your post though, I'm considering having someone put scales on it (obviously dependent on how it feels in hand from the factory). Can you post a pic of the lock side of your K2? I'm curious to see how you attached that scale, as the non locking side screw configuration probably wouldn't work with a lockbar cutout.

The scales are attached the same way on both sides, held by 2 screws. I don't have a good pic of the lock side, but here's a video I did a while ago when I got it back from fastlt1nos:

[video=youtube;JRKzzWwm6hg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRKzzWwm6hg[/video]

Damn I knew I wanted a persian.. now I WANT a persian.. but all Ti.. gooey.. give... :)

I had those same feelings about the Persian, and just gave in. Then the Ti framelock junkie in me pushed even harder.

Back