Spyderco/Farid K2

I think there are two conversations. Main is production and there's a side about custom K2s. The customs are by list. There isn't a production lefty. He was considering the possibility in the future

If Farid is reading I would suggest 3.5 to 4 inches blade with titanium framelock on one side and G-10 or carbon fiber on the other. (The all titanium handle gets slippery when wet).

I will take that in to consideration.
Farid

What? I thought I read a day or two ago that the mini K2 is planned for next year and now you are telling me that the list is already closed? Or are you talking about this years K2? It is a regular run so should be available without a wait list. I guess I am spoiled by how good the rough g10 Spidies feel in the hand so it is hard for me to adjust to all metal knives but guess there are many people who liked them so to each his or her own :)

The list which is now closed is for Large K2 with thick D3 tool steel blade, the Small K2 is for 2015 and I will start a thread close to the time of production also the spec for the Small K2 is not yet been decided.

Your link goes to the slysz bowie.. not this K2 knife.. AND those prices are high.. wrong thread?

parfums95... have you read anything in this thread yet? And search for the farid spyderco k2 review test thread... or enjoy the day :D

The BEAST has arrived. Deceptively light on its feet for such a big fella. Feels great in the hand. Blade centered and very sharp. Lock sticks some but hopefully it'll get better. Lockup is at 70%. A little jimping would have been welcomed. Very strong frame even with two connections. Bottom connection is beastly! Love it!

Got mine in the mail today. It's nice and large, while being slim. But I've found an issue with my lockbar engaging either at 20 percent when softly opened or at 70 percent when normally opened. It can be pushed in further as well, and unlocking it really makes the frame grind against the blade tang. Is this a normal occurrence or should I return it for another?

Got mine in the mail today. It's nice and large, while being slim. But I've found an issue with my lockbar engaging either at 20 percent when softly opened or at 70 percent when normally opened. It can be pushed in further as well, and unlocking it really makes the frame grind against the blade tang. Is this a normal occurrence or should I return it for another?

If it was mine I'd return it..

Hmmm got mine today too...

First Spyderco in... yes over 20yrs.. and well, the lockbar sticks majorly and engages at 60-70% (engaging at 60-70% not an issue). The lockbar is so stiff and placement of hand makes it almost impossible to close one handed... The detent is very stiff and gritty. The "Spyder Hole" has sharp inside edges.. no edges knocked off, no chamfering or rounding. I still don't like that it was made over seas. All of that all really bums me out..

THE GOOD.. The blade is sharp out of the box. The blade is centered. No blade play or lockrock. The lanyard hole tube acts as some structural support and the one screw near lanyard hole has a large tube to help spread out pressure. This all looks good.

I think the way the lock side is made, forces most people with normal to large sized hands to put pressure on the lockbar itself.. This obviously goes against the direction you want to push when trying to release the lock and close the damn knife!

So... size and weight.. I like.. I'm over 6'2" and have large hands. I really like the clip placement. In the pocket it rides great.

I've come to the conclusion, that.. I don't care for Spydercos-still. I like the K2 design. I will buy a Farid K2 custom. I think for a production knife, this is very well made with the exceptions noted in my first paragraph...

So... what am I going to do? Use it.. cut stuff and more than likely sell it used on the X in a month or so after I've decided I don't like using two hands to close a knife.

I hate crashing down on this party... I can't wait to test the steel/ht... but the lockbar stiffness and how hard it is to position hand to even try to open hand close it is quite a disappointment.. And that sharp inside hole, gah...

This is just my first impression and first day with this knife..

I hope others are finding this knife easier to close than I am.. Please comment on lockbar stickiness, closing one handed, and how you think the placement of the bar works on this handle.. Hard to explain what I mean there.. sorry :D

The scales are nice. The overall design looks great and feels good in hand. I like that it is 10v.. I like that it is from Farid's design.

It IS a beast of a knife. This is good :)

If one thing could be fixed, it'd be how impossible it is to disengage the lock... it is a bit insane. I might send it back, but if this is how the knife is... then...

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm not crazy about that. I noticed that unlocking it seems to put pressure on the lockbar into the blade tang further as characterized by a grinding feel, which contributes even more force on top of the sticky lock.

The lockbar issue is caused I think by the length of the handle and flex on the lockbar itself. Also, when disengaging the lockbar, my fingers would naturally apply counterpressure to the middle of he framelock and cause it to bend (on my custom K2). I had scales made for it, making it an extremely robust linerlock. No problems since.

As I mentioned above, I had exactly the same closing issue, but it doesn't bother me. Other than playing with it to annoy your significant other, I see no need to be able to close a knife in a micro-second. If it were difficult to open, that would be another thing.

I have played with it and have gotten better at closing it. It has gotten smoother, and less sticky. I too noticed at first that the fingers holding the knife would naturally rest on the lockbar fighting your thumb in closing it. I don't really care how fast I can close it, but I do require to be able to close it one handed. I have many times when working when my left hand is not available. A natural one handed closing is necessary, speed of doing so is a non issue. Even if you have to break the lock and then close it against your thigh that is fine.

While almost all Spyderco's do not require you to "figure it out" right from the box, I think if you do, it will be worth it and you will enjoy the knife.

Well, I will continue to work with it. Closing one handed is kind of important to me. Closing it fast, is not.

I realize it is a production knife, and a fine one at that.

I do feel the geometry of the lock face may be a bit off, as mine can push in further and is quite sticky. We'll see how it works in.

I'd rather not add scales to make it work. :(

The look and feel of the knife is awesome!

More feedback!

Back