Spyderco HAP40 Thread

I've cut food with my endura and just rinsed the blade with water and dried it off. No special treatment and no rust or patina so far. My super blue turned dark grey with the same kind of use.

Just got mine and love it. The color is awesome and it has a perfect bevel and is silly sharp. My lamination lines are not perfect but are certainly good enough for me. They are nowhere near the bevel and are straightish. It was a little stiff and gritty but I have that mostly worked out and it will break in from here.

Thanks Spydercrew! I have been aching for this one for a while!

This should have come with a black clip IMO. ;)

DSC02011_zpsrlprnbqb.jpg

Mine certainly looks to be ground thinner compared to my other two. I like to weigh my knives and knives of the same model can vary by at least a gram. These are all pretty close. The HAP40 model may weigh a gram less than the other two did new. The weight seems like an insignificant difference to me but the thinner grind is saweet. I have a scale but I do not have calipers. Maybe someone could get some measurements.

65.1g - Super Blue Delica with about a 20 degree bevel that has been sharpened and reprofiled a lot. I also ground the hump on the tip down a little one day when i was bored.
66.0g - VG10 Delica sharpened a little bit and reprofiled once.
65.3g - HAP40 Delica brand new out of the box with a drop of mineral oil since the others had been oiled too.

I have not had a chance to cut much with mine yet, but just upon inspection of fit and factory grind, I was pleased to find mine were nicer than many of the other Delicas and Enduras I have owned. Many Delicas I have owned I have touched up or even done basic reprofiles right out of the box, but I am going to use these as factory edge and see how long they hold before I sharpen. They have nice lamination lines as well.

Interesting, mine has an uneven lamination line on the non showside, not really that big of a deal but my ocd is kicking in hard. :D

That's a little closer to the actual color. Seems this one is hard to photograph.

Agree. Still enjoy all of its apparent shades. Depending on the lighting it almost looks more butterscotch to me than orange.

That's a little closer to the actual color. Seems this one is hard to photograph.

Yeah, this one is close but not quite. It is a tough color for the cameras to capture for sure. I think this is the closest one I have seen so for. Well, at least on my monitor. :)

I attempted to trick my phone's camera by including blue and dirty gray. Still seems a little different than in person. :D

Interesting, mine has an uneven lamination line on the non showside, not really that big of a deal but my ocd is kicking in hard. :D

Mine is the same way. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but it's not even close to the line on the presentation side. I'd post a pic, but I don't think I can do it justice without some sunlight to help. It's got excellent grinds and is plenty sharp. The HAP40 is definitely thinner than a VG 10 blade. The color is unique, and I really like it.

Does anybody happen to know what oil is coating the blade from the factory out of the box? I'm just kind of wondering if it is food safe. I know, I should just wash the knife first before eating from it, but just wondering...

Finally got my HAP40 Delica today, that was a long 8 days for priority mail! Man is it sharp, it made quick work of the priority box it was shipped in.

I've EDC'd the Endura and Delica and am now using the Stretch. I really like the steel.

sal

Back