Spyderco HAP40 Thread

Sal, can you comment on the corrosion resistance you've experienced? It's not SB, I can tell that. A site that sells nice kitchen knives with HAP40 calls it a semi-stainless. I might have a slight brown haze after cutting an orange and not wiping it down immediately (left overnight actually). Pretty good for 4% Cr IMO, not sure how the other alloy elements are affecting things.

I'm really liking it as well. Crucible's CPM REX 45 is the same steel. What possibilities of getting some Golden or Taichung Spydies with it do we have? Something other than FRN and a mid-lock would be nice (not that I don't like that combo). A sprint Chokwe with REX 45 sounds mighty nice. More wear resistance than CPM M4 and toughness on par with conventional M2 combined with that thin long blade would be killer.

While I would agree, the Chokwe and Jester are prime knives to get a tasty steel, why don't we first let them release this full HAP40 run and get it to market to see how it does before we get greedy and ahead of ourselves! :)

Carrying my fresh Endura today!
2015-12-11%2017.47.25_zps2rpyhdpb.jpg

I pre ordered the delica in September and just got it this week, but couldn't wait to try the steel, so snatched an endura when they came out.
I just pre ordered 2 dragonflys...

If anybody could email me with advice on which if any BF dealers have Enduras still?

Just showed up. Pictures show the lamination line is uneven on the two sides and the grind is a little uneven, but it cuts like a demon.

d92a1ab382a0753ae2b4006963cf11bf.jpg
0834b1f9f9be6aebfb4e2d1ef047721b.jpg
b2fb3b8bf9778d8bb9526ac6ad2075fa.jpg

I'm getting a very slight Patina on the HAP section. Of course, I live in Colorado which is relatively dry. I'd like to hear from those in "rusty" regions?

sal

I'm getting a very slight Patina on the HAP section. Of course, I live in Colorado which is relatively dry. I'd like to hear from those in "rusty" regions?

sal

I usually slap some Marine stuff Glide on all my blades as I live in Oklahoma now (I was that kid that insisted on meeting you and your brother in person a little over a year ago! You signed some boxes I still have for a 110v Manix) and it's humid as all hell here. My O1 fixed blade and my tool steel folders (M4, 3V) never develop even a faint spot.

Does anybody happen to know what oil is coating the blade from the factory out of the box? I'm just kind of wondering if it is food safe. I know, I should just wash the knife first before eating from it, but just wondering...

Synthetic Gun Oil. I would wash before prepping food.

I was curious about how corrosion-prone HAP40 is so I conducted a highly scientific experiment. :D

First I thoroughly washed the blade in case there was any residual oil on it. Proceeded to then stick it in an onion where it remained while I was at work, roughly 7.5 hours.

Got home from work, removed it, washed it, then cut a banana into thin coins with the peel still on it. For some reason banana, or the peel specifically, darkened super blue quite quickly, so thought I'd see what it'd do to HAP40. I let that sit unwashed for about 7 hours. Removed it, washed it, dried it, then stuck it in an orange for another two hours or so.

The result is pleasantly surprising. It didn't seem to darken really, just more of a hazy/cloudy reaction. Not sure how beneficial this'll be to anyone, but I was curious so I thought I'd share.

I was curious about how corrosion-prone HAP40 is so I conducted a highly scientific experiment. :D

First I thoroughly washed the blade in case there was any residual oil on it. Proceeded to then stick it in an onion where it remained while I was at work, roughly 7.5 hours.

Got home from work, removed it, washed it, then cut a banana into thin coins with the peel still on it. For some reason banana, or the peel specifically, darkened super blue quite quickly, so thought I'd see what it'd do to HAP40. I let that sit unwashed for about 7 hours. Removed it, washed it, dried it, then stuck it in an orange for another two hours or so.

The result is pleasantly surprising. It didn't seem to darken really, just more of a hazy/cloudy reaction. Not sure how beneficial this'll be to anyone, but I was curious so I thought I'd share.

Interesting. Maybe I'll try some things with my Delica.

Your results seem somewhat similar to some trial and error I did with ZDP-189. After cutting fruits and tomatoes and soaking it in several forms of vinegar and coffee and leaving overnight, it just hazed over and darkened very slightly.

Back