Spyderco HAP40 Thread

I've got a new HAP40 Stretch coming in the mail...from Hawaii, no less.
Happy to check it out.
And....SurfingGringo, how does that Hap40 cut alongside your serrated H1? Curious.

How are you guys sharpening your HAP blades? Any tips? I only have a stock Sharpmaker.

I had to reprofile my Delica because the grind was really uneven from the factory , no big deal but a fraction disappointing .
When I do a reprofile like that I just freehand on my diamond stone , so I have no idea of the angle .
When I got the edge shaving sharp on the diamond I gave it a micro bevel ( 7 strokes each side on the white stones with hardly any pressure ) with my Sharpmaker at 40 degrees .
Then I stropped it quickly on my home made strop .
I usually don't bother with the strop on a working blade , but thought I'd give it a birthday just this once .
The Sharpmaker will get your blade as sharp as you will ever need in the real world .

Ken

Sal has shown some reticence to include a non stainless steel in the regular production lineup. Folks like us might appreciate it but it can create issues for the company when the average Joe buys a work knife and after a month of poor maintenance finds that it is rusting. "Spyderco must make crappy knives" can often be the first and only assumption. I would LOVE to see them do some regular production with this steel, but we may not see it for that reason. I hope I am wrong though!!

Glad I was able to pick up a Stretch then. Maybe they'll do another run in the future like what was done with Super Blue.

Sal has shown some reticence to include a non stainless steel in the regular production lineup. Folks like us might appreciate it but it can create issues for the company when the average Joe buys a work knife and after a month of poor maintenance finds that it is rusting. "Spyderco must make crappy knives" can often be the first and only assumption. I would LOVE to see them do some regular production with this steel, but we may not see it for that reason. I hope I am wrong though!!

Very good point. Years ago before I knew anything about knives I bought a gerber gator for work, it rusted after about 3 days. I was pissed and returned it, guess what brand of knife I have stayed away from since.....

I've got a new HAP40 Stretch coming in the mail...from Hawaii, no less.
Happy to check it out.
And....SurfingGringo, how does that Hap40 cut alongside your serrated H1? Curious.

They are completely different animals. I can tell you that I prefer hap40 to a steel like s30v (and I really like s30v). I find hap40 to have slightly better edge retention while also being easier to bring to high level sharpness.

Thanks as well just ordered one of each. Also have a DF2 on the way. Heard enough about this "voodoo" steel to pick a few up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completed the set finally!

b4d7c3be1bfefe31ced5739a60618f46.jpg

I just ordered a HAP40 ladybug. It will be my first ladybug. Looks like it will be a good office knife. I really wanted a dragonfly but I'm a little late in the game for that one it seems.

With the Stretch coming back into stock at a lot of retailers, do you guys think we might see some of the other models pop up soon too? I figured they were all gone, but the return of available stretches has me hoping...

With the Stretch coming back into stock at a lot of retailers, do you guys think we might see some of the other models pop up soon too? I figured they were all gone, but the return of available stretches has me hoping...
Doubt it. Spyderco ships in batches. There seemed to be a lag between shipments but I don't think they ran extra.

Back