1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco HAP40 Thread

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by SpeedHoles, Dec 6, 2015.

1. BenjaminRush

BenjaminRush Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Right, but I figured they had shipped out the 2000 or so pieces of each run initially. Is it possible they didn't? Would really like to get my hands on a DF2 that isn't marked up on the secondary market

2. nccole

nccole

Jun 2, 2011
    My guess is there was an issue with the Stretch and they ran some others them went back to the rest of the Stretch run. They could have misplaced some or had them in a quality hold for heat treat etc. Nothing wrong with hoping as this was a nice surprise for me! I don't think this oddity was planned, but who knows.

3. BenjaminRush

BenjaminRush Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Thanks for the info nccole. It helped to feed my addiction while also righting previous wrongs... Hap 40 stretch on the way!

4. nccole

nccole

Jun 2, 2011
    I was just passing along info a few posts before mine. I put mine to use today and have a patina started

5. ribstabsheart

ribstabsheart Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Pics? Haven't forced a patina on mine, but its starting to slowly stain.

6. nccole

nccole

Jun 2, 2011
    I'll get a pic tomorrow. I was chopping wilted flowers off. Kind of an odd thing, it's pretty light.

7. ribstabsheart

Jan 9, 2015
    Gotcha! My 4V mule has a light patina forming after all my chopping yesterday. Fun to watch!

8. nccole

nccole

Jun 2, 2011
    [​IMG]

9. speedseeker

speedseeker

Nov 3, 2011
    Look what I got in the mail yesterday. :)

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Brock O Lee

Brock O Lee

Jun 29, 2011
    That must be the most perfect lamination line I've seen to date any of the HAP40's... How does the other side look like?

That dog looks worried, I think he has good reason...

11. johnny_boy02

johnny_boy02

Apr 3, 2014
    Nope. I bought 2 as well.

12. ribstabsheart

Jan 9, 2015
    Wow, I like the color!

13. ribstabsheart

Jan 9, 2015
    Seriously, though! My stretch is super wonky in comparison. Think I may have figured out why mine was the last in the shop, haha!

14. speedseeker

speedseeker

Nov 3, 2011
    The other side is a bit less precise. Love it either way. And, no dogs were harmed in the making of this post - especially that one. ;).

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. ribstabsheart

Jan 9, 2015
    Well, yesterday I tried my hand at grilling a T-Bone steak, which turned out pretty OK I have to say:

[​IMG]

And, BOOM, insta-patina!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought only the lamination lines would stain (like my SB stretch), but I'm pleased to see it all taking on some color.

16. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero Triple B Handmade Knives, Big Brown Bear

Mar 22, 2014
    Mmmm steak

17. ejames13

ejames13 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 30, 2015
    This is interesting. Same thing happen to my Dragonfly after cutting some fruit. I wonder why the cladding is staining...

18. ribstabsheart

Jan 9, 2015
    Maybe I suck at cleaning? Lol.

19. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    Maybe the cladding has some hap40 residue left on it from the grinding process? Just a guess.

20. Seneca18

Seneca18 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2015