Spyderco HAP40 Thread

So far, it's a tie as my 3rd best knife steel with ZDP189, behind M2 and CPM M4. But the delica is my 2nd best knife.

Sounds like a word problem:

A man gets into an M3 with an M2 in his pocket and an M1 in the trunk. Travelling east at 80 MPH, what time does he arrive in Chicago?

What knife do you have in M2? And do you have any M3?

Benchmades 812, 835, and 145 in M2.
I might possibly have a few home made knives in M3 which started life out as a Starrett Redstripe HSS saw blade. From web references though, there's some discrepancy as to whether it's actually M3 or M2. But the most credible source, which claims they contacted Starrett, says Starrett replied that it's M3.
EDIT: The Starrett UK site does say it's M3.

I also have home made blades of what I believe to be M35, M42, and T42.
I don't include these much when talking knife steels because not only is it unfair to pit these against production blades, the only ones I know to exist are self made ones, not for sale.

Last edited:
My HAP 40 Delica arrived today. :thumbup: I am so very impressed with this knife.

Everything about it makes me happy. :D

• The color is a sophisticated orange - not burnt just slightly toasted :cool:

• I have NEVER received a sharper out of the box Spyderco. :eek:

• Ergos and quality of build - just perfect. :)

• The lamination line is very nearly even along the edge - just slightly shorter on the clip side but still even. :cool:

• Glad they went with a polished clip. :thumbup:

• I'm happy I didn't let this one slide by. This is a good Spyderco get (if you like Delicas). :D

I really like HAP40. It seems to be a nice steel. Also, the burnt orange FRN looks very nice. It is one of my favorite FRN colors.

Really liking my Delica so far. The steel sharpens up easily and takes a great edge. Haven't used it enough yet to have an opinion on edge retention but I like what I see so far.

Carried my HAP40 Endura today. Sliced up a big ol Ruby grapefruit. Didn't actually have much effect on the blade. Cut it up way beyond necessary just for fun! :D

And honestly, I have owned a couple of other Enduras in the past, and NEVER carried either of them nearly as much as this HAP40. This one speaks to me more and works great - loving the steel and fit & finish.

Has anyone sharpened theirs on the Sharpmaker? Just tried tonight and cannot get it as sharp as my VG-10 Delica. It seems to micro chip on the ceramics, even with extremely light pressure.

Has anyone sharpened theirs on the Sharpmaker? Just tried tonight and cannot get it as sharp as my VG-10 Delica. It seems to micro chip on the ceramics, even with extremely light pressure.

I have sharpened mine a couple of times on the sharpmaker. Only micro beveled at 40 degrees. Mine will treetop hair off the medium stones. Perfect edge with no micro chipping of any kind.

Really liking my Delica so far. The steel sharpens up easily and takes a great edge. Haven't used it enough yet to have an opinion on edge retention but I like what I see so far.

Did you grind the spine straight on that one? Looks great, like they used to!

Can anyone comment on how brittle HAP40 is? I use the tip of my knife several time on a daily basis (I know, I know.....) and want to make sure it's not going to snap off on the first day. Only Knife I have broken is a Leek. My tenacious, 0550, and griptilian have held up to the the abuse fine.

Can anyone comment on how brittle HAP40 is? I use the tip of my knife several time on a daily basis (I know, I know.....) and want to make sure it's not going to snap off on the first day. Only Knife I have broken is a Leek. My tenacious, 0550, and griptilian have held up to the the abuse fine.

Use your tip for what? While I haven't done any kind of prying with it, I would consider the tip of this knife extremely fragile. It's ground even thinner than the standard Delica, which is already pretty thin.

Back