Spyderco Manix 2 broken ball lock cage

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the pretentious pricks on here are really annoying. It was normal use and pressure. There was no reason for it to fall apart the way it did. An infant would’ve done the same thing. If it fell from a foot up it would have done the same thing. The smallest bit of pressure and it broke.
Why not send to Spyderco for repair then?

All the pretentious pricks on here are really annoying. It was normal use and pressure. There was no reason for it to fall apart the way it did. An infant would’ve done the same thing. If it fell from a foot up it would have done the same thing. The smallest bit of pressure and it broke.

It fell apart because of you, not the big meanies on the forum. I truly hope spyderco and Sal look at this thread and deny your warranty. And you still have not confirmed how you have 2 springs.

From spyderco: Spyderco’s knives are assembled to exacting tolerances by trained technicians, so we discourage end users from disassembling or adjusting our knives. If a knife has been disassembled and reassembled correctly—so as to maintain its proper mechanical function—this warranty remains in full effect. However, if a knife has been disassembled and reassembled in such a way that, in Spyderco’s sole determination, the proper mechanical function of the knife has been compromised, it is no longer covered by warranty.

Sometimes in life you have to consider the possibility that it could of been your fault even if you don't think it was. They way you explained yourself here to many other experts who have taken apart this knife makes it seem like it was user error. You haven't shown a mastery of how this knife operates in order for us to make a definitive statement that it wasn't your fault. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words but there are two statement you described that can perhaps you can clear up.

1. The spring is supposed to be separate from the ball cage. If you count the ball bearing its 3 separate loose parts. If you glued these pieces together that's user error. A picture of what broke
would be helpful.

2. Manix 2 (old, revised and new) never had two springs. This statement doesn't give us confidence in saying it was defective product.

It fell apart because of you, not the big meanies on the forum. I truly hope spyderco and Sal look at this thread and deny your warranty. And you still have not confirmed how you have 2 springs.

From spyderco: Spyderco’s knives are assembled to exacting tolerances by trained technicians, so we discourage end users from disassembling or adjusting our knives. If a knife has been disassembled and reassembled correctly—so as to maintain its proper mechanical function—this warranty remains in full effect. However, if a knife has been disassembled and reassembled in such a way that, in Spyderco’s sole determination, the proper mechanical function of the knife has been compromised, it is no longer covered by warranty.
It even says in the policy you are quoting in Spyderco's sole determination. Not the determination of the BladeForum self-appointed warranty police. How is it you determined he caused the cage to break, especially in the absence of any pictures?

To the OP, pictures would be useful. I'd certainly take any of my Spyderco's apart if they became gritty to use. If parts broke (especially the one plastic part in a mainly steel knife), due to my fault or not, I would still expect support from the company. If they wanted me to pay for a new cage, so be it. But I doubt I'd buy another product from them if they said tough luck like some of the jackasses in this thread are saying. I would contact them, I suspect they will make it right even if you have to foot the part bill.

You also might post a picture if it's still apart. I can't imagine needing or using Krazy Glue to re-assemble. Maybe a dab of grease if I needed the spring not to fall off the little strut while re-assembling or something. But I've never taken a Manix apart.

It even says in the policy you are quoting in Spyderco's sole determination. Not the determination of the BladeForum self-appointed warranty police. How is it you determined he caused the cage to break, especially in the absence of any pictures?

To the OP, pictures would be useful. I'd certainly take any of my Spyderco's apart if they became gritty to use. If parts broke (especially the one plastic part in a mainly steel knife), due to my fault or not, I would still expect support from the company. If they wanted me to pay for a new cage, so be it. But I doubt I'd buy another product from them if they said tough luck like some of the jackasses in this thread are saying. I would contact them, I suspect they will make it right even if you have to foot the part bill.

You also might post a picture if it's still apart. I can't imagine needing or using Krazy Glue to re-assemble. Maybe a dab of grease if I needed the spring not to fall off the little strut while re-assembling or something. But I've never taken a Manix apart.

Ughh...... It doesn't take that much work to read the OP 1st post. He described exactly what he did. He disassembled the knife and broke the post. Not sure what kind of gurus we need here to figure this one out it's a pretty open and shut case of idiocy. If you do a quick search it's one of the harder models to disassemble and reassemble correctly because of the lock. You kind of need to know what you're actually doing.

Then op said it was a known defect which is bull. Then OP said that there were 2 Springs which is bull. Then you want to kind of come in and defend this kind of behavior why I have no clue.

Oh and this is not a support group. It's a forum with factual info. There are no support groups I know of for people who cry about blades that don't meet their expectations.

Last edited:
I actually read original post and it seems like he super glued the spring to the cage thinking that it was supposed to be a single piece. Only after then did the cage break when assembling. It's not clear but that's my understanding based on the way he wrote it. Obviously user error. It's the risk you take. I opened my manix 2 xl and knew I was gambling. I watched a bunch of videos but still knew there was a possibility of voiding warranty.

The only luxury I wish I had was buying parts, but Spyderco is great about setting clear expectations about what is covered in the stickies in the Spyderco forum.. Taking personal responsibility and hoping for Spyderco doing him a favor is the only expectation the OP should have. Instead he just sounds incorrectly entitled.

I, for the life of me, can't understand their pretentious attitude. Doesn't everyone reach for Krazy Glue when their knives break? I always keep a large supply of the generic WalMart crazy glue around for knives, guns, car engine repair, practical jokes, and my teeth when they fall out.

Polident works better, sir.

wow.......send to spyderco and pay the fix it fee. thats my advice.

Ughh...... It doesn't take that much work to read the OP 1st post. He described exactly what he did. He disassembled the knife and broke the post. Not sure what kind of gurus we need here to figure this one out it's a pretty open and shut case of idiocy. If you do a quick search it's one of the harder models to disassemble and reassemble correctly because of the lock. You kind of need to know what you're actually doing.

Then op said it was a known defect which is bull. Then OP said that there were 2 Springs which is bull. Then you want to kind of come in and defend this kind of behavior why I have no clue.

Oh and this is not a support group. It's a forum with factual info. There are no support groups I know of for people who cry about blades that don't meet their expectations.
Do people like you? Never said anything about two springs. Unless you’re referring to the newer manix. And all I was saying is that the part is so weak it broke under no force, it was cheap. And it actually is a common error if you take a minute to google it genius. Everyone who owns it complains that the ball cage snaps. It must be difficult to only be able to sound all high and mighty behind a screen and I feel bad for you.

Do people like you? Never said anything about two springs. Unless you’re referring to the newer manix. And all I was saying is that the part is so weak it broke under no force, it was cheap. And it actually is a common error if you take a minute to google it genius. Everyone who owns it complains that the ball cage snaps. It must be difficult to only be able to sound all high and mighty behind a screen and I feel bad for you.

No one believes you.

btw there’s no need to be condescending. You’re not better than anyone. And don’t for a second act like I’m some idiot. I know exactly what I’m doing when disassembling a knife and the issue I had has nothing to do with my abilities. All I’m saying is if you were to look at it wrong the cage would have snapped. I have light hands when disassembling knives. I wasn’t forcing it, or tempering or misusing it in any way. I’ve never had the issue with the black cage. Just the clear. You’re the type of person I would never hope to meet in person. I’d listen to you berate me for 10 seconds and end up punching you in the face.

btw there’s no need to be condescending. You’re not better than anyone. And don’t for a second act like I’m some idiot. I know exactly what I’m doing when disassembling a knife and the issue I had has nothing to do with my abilities. All I’m saying is if you were to look at it wrong the cage would have snapped. I have light hands when disassembling knives. I wasn’t forcing it, or tempering or misusing it in any way. I’ve never had the issue with the black cage. Just the clear. You’re the type of person I would never hope to meet in person. I’d listen to you berate me for 10 seconds and end up punching you in the face.

I can’t believe you’d punch Yo Mama in the face. That’s cold. After all she’s done for you.

hey everyone, so I just got a hollow ground Spyderco manix 2, the 154cm model with the clear button lock. I felt grit when opening and closing so I decided to take it apart and clean it. In doing so, the spring came right off the lock cage. I finally got it back on with crazy glue and then I was putting in the backspacer and had to engage the lock to get the last screw in and then that’s when the lock cage snapped in two.
What should I do?
Send it to Spyderco. The company advices against customers taking their knives apart, so dont know, what they'll tell you, since you fiddled with it. Ive got a bunch of Spyderco knives but never had to send one in.

Never said anything about two springs.

The confusion arose because you mentioned another newer Manix with a different design.

Besides I’ve had a newer manix and the design is completely different. It has the two springs on each side as opposed to the single coil spring.

Troll. Figured as much....definitely a troll though internet tough guy who plays the victim. Don't want to solve a problem you just want to beat on your chest how great at knives you are. Ignore function is a great feature of the forum...

Last edited:
J JDX Have you sent it to Spyderco for repair? An update on the issue/resolution would be helpful and useful in silencing your detractors. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back