Spyderco packaging

I don’t know about you guys but I wish they’d take some of the cost of the knives and fancy up the packaging! I’m talking soft touch finish, lots of colors, litho label printing, sequins, gold flakes, make that thing look like something off the top shelf of Sephora!

...kidding. I don’t care if it comes in a true value sandwich bag that Sal used for lunch that day, as long as the knife has the proper fit, finish, and function.

Spyderco has raised their prices a good bit from the past and it sure as heck isn’t because they have to pay for premium packaging

But Grimsmo knives are so damn expensive, if you buy one, you can probably afford that 20-30 dollar extra

You guys do realize that every penny sunk into packaging is a penny more in the price of the product, right? Therefore, why the heck do you even care about how fancy the box is that the knife comes in? Strikes me as pretty stupid.

I'd take a knife in a plain brown envelope packed well in a plain box any day if they dropped the price as much as possible by using that kind of simple packaging.

Last edited:
Some people who spend large sums of money on things want to feel like it was worth it in every aspect. Again, i dont, its just something i thought about

If the knife you spent a large sum of money on wasn't really worth it, would a nice box improve anything?

I admit I'm tickled when I open a CIVIVI and get a padded taco case, a microfiber cloth, and several stickers (oh yeah, and a knife!) -- but all that stuff just goes back in the box, which then goes into my closet.

If I were buying my only knife, I'd love to get the goodies with it. But as I'm not, I'm content to have Spyderco (and most manufacturers) just provide a cardboard box and a baggie that adequately protects the knife during transit.

I have no problem with Spyderco's packaging as long as the knife is as it should be when it arrives. . I bought a couple White River Caper knives and I love the knives ... but they came in a nice wooden box with a slide top and a cutout where the knife was nestled in all cozy ... one box became tinder for a fire one cool night and the knife still works great ... go figure.

I don't care for packaging or added goodies inside because the OCD crowd focuses on that stuff more than the actual knife and expect discounts when everything is not prestine. Would you believe someone didn't buy a CRK I was selling because the CRK sticker was missing?

In business it is common to put lower cost products in boxes, etc to give the product a better presentation.
Also Chinese manufacturers are getting their boxes,etc dirt cheap because of the lost cost of manufacturing. Buying and importing would add cost to Spyder.
Also I believe Sal is a meat and potatoes guy. Who would laugh about the need for a pretty box!
Stickers would cool......

No real issues with Spyderco's current packaging, except maybe if they could use thicker cardboard stock like what they used for the older grey "web print" boxes. Those tended to be sturdier. I still have boxes like that, almost 20 years old, in great condition.

I have 43 Spyderco's.....never considered the packaging to be an issue at all. But, I am here to attest to the fact that Kizer packages their products in some mighty fine boxes! So there's that. o_O

Last edited:
Back