Spyderco PM2 in s110v

The longer you sharpen the more room for error you have, but I'm guessing the bevel is thicker than whatever you're trying to sharpen at. If you have a undamaged but totally dull edge at 30 inclusive and touch it up on the 40 setting it takes a minute. To rebevel. Dear lord I can't imagine

The longer you sharpen the more room for error you have, but I'm guessing the bevel is thicker than whatever you're trying to sharpen at. If you have a undamaged but totally dull edge at 30 inclusive and touch it up on the 40 setting it takes a minute. To rebevel. Dear lord I can't imagine

I can rebevel a production s90v blade to 30 degrees in 10-15 minutes (or less) on the sharpmaker with the diamond rods. Obviously that number depends on how long since the last rebevel and how much steel you have to remove, but I never let my microbevel get anywhere near taking over so that helps. It might mean that I "reprofile" a bit more often, but it is way less work when I do it.

I can rebevel a production s90v blade to 30 degrees in 10-15 minutes (or less) on the sharpmaker with the diamond rods. Obviously that number depends on how long since the last rebevel and how much steel you have to remove, but I never let my microbevel get anywhere near taking over so that helps. It might mean that I "reprofile" a bit more often, but it is way less work when I do it.
Diamonds tend to almost cut these more nasty steels faster, I would not want to try using ceramic to change a bevel on s90v.though.

The difference in your angle and the orginal angle also matters a ton I've noticed as well as the thickness behind the edge. Don't try to take a 25dps bowie down to 15 if you have anywhere to be for the next week.

To TJWeeks or anyone still learning to sharpen:

Keep at it. S110V is not an easy steel to sharpen. Even though many folks here are good at sharpening, high carbide steels take time and patience. I'm sure someone will follow up with a "nuh uh, my first blade was S110V and I'm great at it." Good for them, they get a gold star. For all of us still learning, keep practicing and you'll eventually get there.

For me, the factory edge was well sharpened. With just a few min on a loaded strop, I was able to get face shaving sharp. I understand that this is not the best razor steel out there, but I am impressed the factory edge for S110V. Spydies are always sharp from Golden.

Enjoy your blades, these are great times for steel junkies.

To TJWeeks or anyone still learning to sharpen:

Keep at it. S110V is not an easy steel to sharpen. Even though many folks here are good at sharpening, high carbide steels take time and patience. I'm sure someone will follow up with a "nuh uh, my first blade was S110V and I'm great at it." Good for them, they get a gold star. For all of us still learning, keep practicing and you'll eventually get there.

For me, the factory edge was well sharpened. With just a few min on a loaded strop, I was able to get face shaving sharp. I understand that this is not the best razor steel out there, but I am impressed the factory edge for S110V. Spydies are always sharp from Golden.

Enjoy your blades, these are great times for steel junkies.

You won't get any argument from me. I consider myself fairly proficient at sharpening and am comfortable working with most any steel but these high carbide steels are a bit more fussy to work with. It's not so much the actual time it takes to grind it to an apex...that can be done readily with diamond stones. The problem is getting the apex cleaned up and to a high level of sharpness. These steels seem to be a bit less forgiving of sloppy technique or angles and require lighter pressure and truer angles when micro beveling or refining the apex. They are just a little bit trickier to get to that very high level sharpness IMO. The more I work with them and understand what kind of technique they require, the easier it gets...but yeah, fussy, that's the word.

Actually resharpened the manix 2 again today, no reason just got bored. And it is for whatever reason legitimately harder to get sharp. I can split the occasional hair off the 1k stones with s30v. Takes a few minutes of stropping to get close with s110v

Actually resharpened the manix 2 again today, no reason just got bored. And it is for whatever reason legitimately harder to get sharp. I can split the occasional hair off the 1k stones with s30v. Takes a few minutes of stropping to get close with s110v

In my experience, most of the high carbide steels will lose their screaming sharp edges quickly anyway. The best performance for my effort is to finish them rather coarse, and then stop. As long as they can pop arm hair off a Sharpmaker diamond or medium stone with no stropping, I am happy. I love those thin, coarse, grabby, slicer type edges that seem to last forever for my EDC's.

For the hair splitting, push cutting edges, it is maybe best to choose a better suited steel.

In my experience, most of the high carbide steels will lose their screaming sharp edges quickly anyway. The best performance for my effort is to finish them rather coarse, and then stop. As long as they can pop arm hair off a Sharpmaker diamond or medium stone with no stropping, I am happy. I love those thin, coarse, grabby, slicer type edges that seem to last forever for my EDC's.

For the hair splitting, push cutting edges, it is maybe best to choose a better suited steel.

Agreed, most of these high carbide steels I just finish the edge on a medium Spyderco ceramic. You can still whittle hair off this edge too. High carbide steels also love that coarser edge.

Waiting on wider availability. Here's the picture from the Spyderco website.

C81GDBL2_L.jpg

Mine should be here tomorrow. I don't know if it's me or what but I have less a problem getting s110 sharp then s90. I have a wicked edge and the s90 at least on my Benchmade and shirogorov's take some work.

National Knives has 5 of these in stock right now...

EDIT: ....and gone.

Last edited:
Honestly, I like that G10 more than I care about the S110v. Can't wait for a Military version, and I hope there is enough of that G10 to go around.

Honestly, I like that G10 more than I care about the S110v. Can't wait for a Military version, and I hope there is enough of that G10 to go around.

Rob at National Knives indicated that there will be more models coming in 2016 with the same dark blue G-10. I'm hoping for a Manix!!!

Back