Spyderco Positron

I realise this is a light use knife, but looking at your picture, that lock interface does not inspire confidence at all. There is not a lot material behind that tooth... I am curious about long term reliability.
If the Positron was designed for hard use, I might be more concerned about it. But given the kinds of tasks the Positron will likely be used for, I'd say there isn't much cause for alarm.

If the Positron was designed for hard use, I might be more concerned about it. But given the kinds of tasks the Postiron will likely to be used for, I'd say there isn't much cause for alarm.

My thoughts exactly

I hope you are right...

Actual cutting tasks should not stress a lock under normal conditions, but you will be whacking open the blade with the flipper most of the time. The stop pin will take most of the impact, but still, I would have preferred to see one less jimping notch at the base of the tooth to beef it up a bit.

Handled one yesterday along with my buddy at the SFO. I have large sized hands and my impressions were:

-Fit and finish were typical Taichung...superb. (Positive)
-Quite a bit smaller than I thought it would be. (Neutral)
-Aesthetically, Southard's knives do nothing for me. Purely my opinion. (Neutral)
-Decent handle comfort but nothing to write home about. Seemed kinda chunky to these hands, especially toward the back of the handle/my palm. I also wish the run of jimping went further forward on the spine. (Neutral to negative)
-I don't like non-functional Spydie holes...I like options when opening...again that's just me. (Neutral to negative)
-The liner lock(?) was difficult enough to operate on my example as to be annoying. (Negative)
-Flipping action was just alright...both me and my buddy botched the first couple attempts. Of course, I give leeway for it being a new knife, tight...and us both not being too keen on flippers/clumsy. (Neutral)

All that being said, lots of people are going to love this knife and I have great respect for all of them. I'm also appreciative for Spyderco making so many diverse products...there's truly something for everyone and its a wonderful time to be a 'knife person'. :thumbup::D

I've had mine now for several days now. It's grown on me a little from my initial impression. Ultimately I'll say I like the knife but I think it's a little over priced. At its price point, I would have expected a smoother flipping mechanism. It's not bad, it's just that it takes a strong flip to get it to come fully open and I would have expected less effort to get it to deploy.

Decided to open up the notch a bit for easier access to release the lock.

20151122_192732_1_1.jpg

20151122_192709_1.jpg

20151122_192715_001_1.jpg

Decided to open up the notch a bit for easier access to release the lock.

20151122_192732_1_1.jpg

20151122_192709_1.jpg

20151122_192715_001_1.jpg

Looks good you matched the sanding that came on the knife well! Can't even tell that it didn't come from the factory like that!

Can you open it manually with your thumb now, instead of with the flipper?

No. Manual opening is no easier to do than before. The hole is cosmetic. However, I did add thumb studs (through the hole) to my Pingo at one point. But I don't think I'd go "frankensteining" my Positron like that.

No. Manual opening is no easier to do than before. The hole is cosmetic. However, I did add thumb studs (through the hole) to my Pingo at one point. But I don't think I'd go "frankensteining" my Positron like that.

I can manually slide the blade open with my thumb some of the time, but not consistently. I really hoped that it would get easier if I opened the notch a bit.

I know the Spydie hole is small -- but I still wonder why your mod wouldn't give your thumb more blade to grip and then slide out.

I was kind of a cheerleader for this knife pre-release, but now I've purchased and returned mine.

This knife may work for some people, but not for me.
It's not a great flipper. Light-switching works ok but it still takes a wrist flick for it to fly open. Spyderco still struggles with flippers.
The grip was slick, fat, short and had numerous hot spots. These aren't fit and finish issues, these are design issues. It's like they designed a knife and never tested a prototype.
The lock was a PITA to disengage. Serious, they may as well have added a LAWKS system. :rolleyes:
This knife had the least smooth action with bearings of any I've ever felt.

I might have kept it if it had been $75-125, but at the price it seriously under-delivered.

Oh well, next up for Spyderco: The Nirvana! We'll see if that one's a keeper.

I absolutely love the Positron and bought a second.

Both of mine are easy to grip, flip and close. Size and weight are perfect for pocket-EDCing.

It's a great slicer!

I just wish it were easier to open manually with my thumb.

Having carried mine for a short while, I do like the Positron mostly due to its light weight, easy carry and being a slicer. I can open mine one-handed by pinching the blade using my thumb and middle finger. The lock disengagement issue and pointed/sharp bottom of the CF should've been addressed before release.

Pros

• Great blade, centered, FFG, thin, slicer, sharp and centered.
  • Great overall length
  • Great CF
  • Great flipping action considering a short flipper tab
  • Light weight and easy carry

Cons

• Handle is about 4" but usable is about 3.4"
  • Lock is cumbersome to disengage
  • Bottom of the CF is pointy as to be uncomfortable
  • Backspacer is not flush with the CF
  • Wire clip digs into palm since you have to force a comfortable grip

Last edited:
To each their own, and I don't begrudge anyone something that makes them happy, but I legitimately don't get all the grousing about this knife. Mine light switches as well as push buttons with speed and authority...no small feat given the relatively small flipper tab. It's lightweight, perfect for slicing and piercing, and sits unobtrusively in pocket. Okay, the lock isn't really "out there" enough...but neither is the one on the 0770, and that's a pretty universally beloved piece. Just saying, not every Southard has to be a heavy tank like the first one. :D

the wire clip grooves are real close to the edge of the scales..

I've already snagged my clip and broken the carbon fiber on the edge of the scale :grumpy:

other than that, I enjoy the knife

I can manually slide the blade open with my thumb some of the time, but not consistently. I really hoped that it would get easier if I opened the notch a bit.

I know the Spydie hole is small -- but I still wonder why your mod wouldn't give your thumb more blade to grip and then slide out.

In all fairness I don't think I ever even tried opening it manually before....

Back