Spyderco Salt 2 perfect choice for me??

Just received the knife. What I like is the handle, size, weigh almost nothing and easy to operate lockback (used to tri-ad locks). Dislikes: spydie hole is sharp and why is all the hardware coated black? I knew the pocket clip would be black, but screws and lockback also black with what seems to be a black phosphate type of coating. It's a black matte type of coating. I hope the lockbar is not coated Ti, because that will wear down faster than stainless over time. I do like the contrast of the black against the yellow FRN. It was a bit weird receiving the knife, because I was holding my para 3 when the guy delivered the salt and are total opposites of each other.

woCYqGE.jpg

wuWmli6.jpg

I don't get coating the hardware either. I do not believe the lock bar is Ti. I may be a bit odd in this, but I prefer the older version handle better (not the clip attachment though) so I bought a back up of my Pacific salt SE.

I don't get coating the hardware either. I do not believe the lock bar is Ti. I may be a bit odd in this, but I prefer the older version handle better (not the clip attachment though) so I bought a back up of my Pacific salt SE.
Coating any rust proof material makes no sense. I'm sure they did not coat the hardware to prevent rust, because it only takes one small chip or scratch on the coating of material that may rust for rust to form.

It's a different scenario if the blade and handle was black. Then black hardware would look nice all blacked out

Coating stainless hardware makes it more stainless. Especially since it's not H1

I too, was concerned about the change in hardware. I recently loaded up on the Pacific Salt. Although lusting for the Siren or Carribbean the full size Salt is checking all the boxes for me. In the pic the dye job salt, my first, has the best fit & finish for me. Prolly going back to dye shack for a complete dark green like the bottom of handle. Ordered 2 more SE 's trying for same hardware. The second one from top is my looker. Black blade I've read will show wear but wanted SE. Bottom might go back. Extreme tip is rolled/bent. Can live with it but also excessive blade play when closed. I have read that is OK because when open there is no play. When shaked I have a silent type of
IMG-3230.jpg
rattle.Undecided, still in return window. I have a tough time returning things.

Coating stainless hardware makes it more stainless. Especially since it's not H1
A coating doesn’t change the characteristics of the metal. Coatings can prevent corrosion by serving as a barrier to the elements, but it doesn’t make stainless steel “more stainless”.

I actually like the yellow color. Maybe if I get tired of the color I would consider dyeing them. Ok, so I have disassembled the knife and was quite impressed by the fit and finish. The lock-back is very nicely done and the blade cutout in the tang looks different from the Delica 4 cutout. Is this maybe a CQI example or maybe just me? The tolerances of the pivot and lockbar pin is also very tight. The interesting thing is the pivot pin and lockbar pin looks like Ti compared to the uncoated shiny parts of the screws and lockbar. The lockbar is definitely stainless as it has some weight to it, but the pins is very light, but difficult to tell because of their size. I have attached some pics. Have a look at the pins and tell me what you think...

saJEklC.jpg

0dUqMFg.jpg

A7uwQLq.jpg

Last edited:
So far this knife is everything I wanted it to be, except maybe a flat grind. I left the pocket clip in paint stripper for 12 hours and nothing happened. Don't know what coating this is, but definitely not the normal paint/powder coating. Impressed and irritated at the same time, because now I have to start sanding the clip. Plan is to do a heat ano and dip in acid to try and get a cool pattern.

Last edited:
Great work on the clip. Can't say I've ever say I've seen an uncoated Salt 2 with coated hardware like that.

The new black hardware looks horrible. Totally doesn't go with the rest of the knife.

Back