SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

May need to invest in a Pacific Salt 2 in Plain Edge now. I like the Native but like a little bit larger of a knife.

Sold my Native salt, keeping the PE Salt 2.

Nothing against Natives, I just prefer the Delica pattern I guess.

I've only had H1 in Spyderedge. How is it in plain edge? I know it doesn't have near the edge retention as other modern steels.
I have to say, H1 is good at a lot of things. Edge holding isn’t one of them . In plain edge it rolls easily. Needs to be sharpened frequently. Lc200n puts H1 in the rear view for me. (I have been using H1 for at least 10 years) . H1 with a serrated edge seems to hold better. On the upside, it’s a very easy steel to sharpen, and it gets pretty damn sharp. I think the only H1 I will buy in the future will be in SE. (love my new native and Caribbean)

I have to say, H1 is good at a lot of things. Edge holding isn’t one of them . In plain edge it rolls easily. Needs to be sharpened frequently. Lc200n puts H1 in the rear view for me. (I have been using H1 for at least 10 years) . H1 with a serrated edge seems to hold better. On the upside, it’s a very easy steel to sharpen, and it gets pretty damn sharp. I think the only H1 I will buy in the future will be in SE. (love my new native and Caribbean)
Siren is awesome. Love the cats tongue grip.

I was Rolling my sea kayak today . I didn’t realize the pocket my brand new native salt was in was unzipped. Gone , dammit. Already ordered another, but still a kick in the balls.

I was Rolling my sea kayak today . I didn’t realize the pocket my brand new native salt was in was unzipped. Gone , dammit. Already ordered another, but still a kick in the balls.
Sorry. I've spent hours searching for a dropped Harpy in a log Jam. I hate the feeling of loss.

That sucks. We've all lost at least one good knife. Glad you got a replacement on the way. Might think about a secondary retention. Tighten the clip down and clip it inside the pocket. I've cut/sewn a few holes in pockets to accommodate being able to clip inside.

That sucks. We've all lost at least one good knife. Glad you got a replacement on the way. Might think about a secondary retention. Tighten the clip down and clip it inside the pocket. I've cut/sewn a few holes in pockets to accommodate being able to clip inside.
Yeah, usually I do have it clipped inside the main pocket and zipped, but I forgot to take my pacific salt out, so the pacific salt stayed clipped inside the pfd, but the native was just rattling around in there And was lost when I was upside down and the pocket was unzipped. I’m a dummy

I'm in Arizona so fishing isn't a thing people do often.. I've gone fishing here three times and it's been a bust each time. I've only ever caught one fish... and it was with my bare hands lol. Wasn't getting any bites, but a little one about 6 inches long swam up close enough for me to snatch it out of the water and joke to my friends that I caught one. Didn't get pictures unfortunately.

a3bxwXL.jpg

1ph2EOx.jpg

MY son is an avid fisherman here in Southern California who routinely uses a kayak , His own center console boat, And commercial tours to catch his fill. He also loves Spyderco knives.

I bought him a Tenacious first followed by a digi camo DLC PM2, Original Yellow Pacific Salt SE, RWL 34 mule, And finally a Waterway. He uses all the knives regularly, But the piece he can't be without it the Pacific Salt. It's permanently attached to his clothes, Be it swim trunks, Work clothes, Or casual. The knife has absolutely been abused the last 24 months , Having been cleaned of all kinds of gunk by me at least 5 times.

I recently asked for a knife while visiting my granddaughters and he handed me the PS. I could barely open the blade and the yellow scales were permanently stained with "stuff":eek:
I gave him a new SE Tenacious Lightweight to use and took his trusty tool to clean up and sharpen. Couldn't believe the crap I cleaned out. A quick ride in the dishwasher for the disassembled body completely cleaned the blk staining. She's lubed up and ready for sharpening. These knives are amazing. :)2020-08-19 20.13.06.jpg 2020-08-19 20.54.50.jpg

Lucky Craft on the Surf.
Siren in the pocket...

Nice to carry once I sanded down
the aggressive texture to medium.

Also noticing it is more sand sensative
compared to my FRN Atlantic.
Major PIA to disassemble.

Still a keeper

L3ExxWyl.jpg

Last edited:
I think there’s a gap in the Salt lineup for a knife around the 8” Endela/Manix 2 size range. I got Caribbean, Siren, Pacific Salt 2, Salt 1 and Native Salt. I feel like they are either too big to carry or too small most of the time.
The Caribbean came close, still slightly too big, but the mushy detent and the compression lock isn’t really suitable for my EDC.
I think the Golden backlock is the best for salt knives, hope Spyderco make a Manix 2 sized salt knife with backlock.

More than other similar knives? How so?
The tolerances are very tight on the siren so it takes a fair bit of wiggling and careful levering to pull it apart once the screws are removed. For cleaning I recommend loosening and/or removing the pivot screws to create some space then blowing it out with a high pressure water hose. I’ve never felt the need to fully disassemble my salt knives but every now and then I need to remove stubborn sand or fish parts and the above works perfectly for me. (On all my salt knives, whether frn or g10)

The tolerances are very tight on the siren so it takes a fair bit of wiggling and careful levering to pull it apart once the screws are removed. For cleaning I recommend loosening and/or removing the pivot screws to create some space then blowing it out with a high pressure water hose. I’ve never felt the need to fully disassemble my salt knives but every now and then I need to remove stubborn sand or fish parts and the above works perfectly for me. (On all my salt knives, whether frn or g10)
Okay. Makes sense. How's the reassembly? Some spydercos can be finicky to get back together and adjust back to optimum, like the pm2 (for me at least). The siren has such great action I'd hate to lose that, though since it is a back lock maybe less of a concern.

Back