Spyderco Siren Lock Issue

Same here. I just printed the return form and sent mine in on Tues 2/22 (with $5). I wouldn’t wait on emails personally. The return form mentions “known issue” such as this one as a reason for return.

Same here. I just printed the return form and sent mine in on Tues 2/22 (with $5). I wouldn’t wait on emails personally. The return form mentions “known issue” such as this one as a reason for return.

I'll probably just do that. The place I drop my packages off is having some issues with their computer, so I have to run to the Post Office on Saturday or Monday to drop some stuff off anyways.

Reactions: mb>
I filled out the form on their website and sent the knife in without notifying them that it was on the way. The knife was sent to their warranty dept. I did not include $5 as I sent the knife in early and did not realize that return postage might be required. I called Spyderco (NOT the warranty dept. as they never answer their phone apparently) and explained what I had done. I was told that warranty exchanges do not require that the customer pay shipping and that if the Siren exchange was considered something outside of a warranty claim, then they would be in touch with me about payment. I never heard from them--not about postage and not that they received the knife in the first place.

They did notify me by email that my replacement was on the way. I think the total time to get the new knife was approximately 4 weeks from the time I sent the original off to Spyderco.

Last edited:
Spyderco got back to me today. :)

I’ll be sending my Siren in on Monday. Luckily I have a Paramiltary 2 in Micarta/Cruwear and a Wharncliffe Delica in 20CV on the way to keep me busy until the replacement comes in. :D

Just received my replacement along with the $5 they didn’t keep. :)

I didn’t get any shipping notification FWIW. 16 calendar day turnaround. Thanks to Sal and crew for working this one from the “hard pile”.

Gonna necro this post, I just picked up a siren(haven't received it yet in the mail) and I was wondering if spyderco did indeed fix this issue and does anyone know if they removed the old stock and replace with the fixed version, thanks.

Gonna necro this post, I just picked up a siren(haven't received it yet in the mail) and I was wondering if spyderco did indeed fix this issue and does anyone know if they removed the old stock and replace with the fixed version, thanks.
If you are going to necro it, why not also read it?

Yes they fixed it. Not sure if they recalled stock at dealers and replaced with CQI version. I highly doubt they did that as the issue was not deemed a safety issue and reportedly not every knife had the faulty lock.

Insulting or Rude behavior
If you are going to necro it, why not also read it?

Yes they fixed it. Not sure if they recalled stock at dealers and replaced with CQI version. I highly doubt they did that as the issue was not deemed a safety issue and reportedly not every knife had the faulty lock.
I did read it, I was mostly asking about the old stock. I guess Ill know for sure if mine has this issue when I get it, then I'll have to send it in for a replacement. Maybe just answer my question next time without being a dick or don't answer at all, thanks.

I did read it, I was mostly asking about the old stock. I guess Ill know for sure if mine has this issue when I get it, then I'll have to send it in for a replacement. Maybe just answer my question next time without being a dick or don't answer at all, thanks.

From the man himself in this very thread:

We sell to dealers and distributors, and end line users. Our distributors sell to many dealers that we do not know. Literally thousands all over the world. there is no way, nor is there any reason to do, as you say, a recall.

Reactions: mb>
Let's move on. (Rippa7 can no longer post or respond in this thread.)
Will do. Just wanted to point the guy to where sal had infact answered that question in this thread. Really, he put up with a lot of grief in this thread (some by even me if you can believe it) and I think it is important that since he did answer the tough questions, he should get the credit.

Back