spyderco warranty clarification

It's not about that. He wants to win. He was already unequivocally proven wrong on this thread after boasting that he had the correct information and will rub it in when Spyderco answers back. Now that he came back, and he doesn't have his moment in the sun, he will press on with this crusade.

When's the million man march protest at Spyderco HQ? :p

Hmmm... From Spyderco's warranty on its website:

Spyderco’s warranty does not cover damage caused by abuse, misuse, loss, improper handling, alterations, accident, neglect, disassembly, or improper sharpening.

But, but, but...he hasn't been proven wrong....:p

Did you read the words DAMAGED CAUSED BY? Soooo.. what about disassembly and reassembly with out damage???

My sarcasm blew right over you. Just wanted to point out that you aren't the only one who can make up and believe their own twist.

How would Spyderco know that a knife had been disassembled without damage?
There won't be a problem when you take apart your Spyderco knife as long as you can also put it back together correctly.

How would Spyderco know that a knife had been disassembled without damage?
There won't be a problem when you take apart your Spyderco knife as long as you can also put it back together correctly.

Some people are either too good or too challenged to grasp that though. Common sense is not enough for them.

I've never been good at recognizing sarcasm through letter lol some of the posts in this thread make me wonder if people even read the first post, you know I like my delica and pm2 and wanted to clean them is how this came about..I love the knives and just wanted to warranty on the website to be accurate so I could clean my knives in peace of mind.
My sarcasm blew right over you.

Actually revdevil has said spyderco can tell if a knife has been opened up through a variety of methods which include examining the internals for marks,fingerprints, signs the knife has been opened I'll try and find the post. Why should getting a company to abide by there published warranty be like pulling teeth? I agree common sense ain't so common
Some people are either too good or too challenged to grasp that though. Common sense is not enough for them.

Wow, 12 pages worth of this? The warranty ALSO states that ANY repairs made or attempted my anyone BUT spyderco voids the warranty. Unless the knife needs repair, perhaps there is no reason to disassemble it?

So in turn if you have a knife you have an issue with and believe it is under warranty why wouldn't you first contact the manufacturer you feel should warrant said product before playing with it yourself?

Bottom line, if your that upset with a company like spyderco because they want to repair the knife (which requires disassemble most likely) rather than anyone else. Might want to start shopping at aliexpress.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
And if a knife has zero damage before and after disassembly what was repaired? Cleaning and repair are not the same.
Wow, 12 pages worth of this? The warranty ALSO states that ANY repairs made or attempted my anyone BUT spyderco voids the warranty. Unless the knife needs repair, perhaps there is no reason to disassemble it?

So in turn if you have a knife you have an issue with and believe it is under warranty why wouldn't you first contact the manufacturer you feel should warrant said product before playing with it yourself?

Bottom line, if your that upset with a company like spyderco because they want to repair the knife (which requires disassemble most likely) rather than anyone else. Might want to start shopping at aliexpress.

Just my 2 cents.

I sometimes disassemble to clean or mod... I have no worries though, I know that Spyderco's warranty dept Charlynn will take care of me as she has on two of my knives that I gave obviously opened and tinkered with. The key here is that I didn't break those knives by not knowing what Im doing taking it apart so I know I was good on the warranty.

They deal with a lot of fraud and people trying to take advantage, I can see why they choose to take certain steps on making it a limited LIFETIME warranty with grey areas to their advantage instead of an unconditional one. They do seem to make an obvious effort in treating customers right though so it's a non issue to those with common sense.

I'm satisfied with the outcome of this thread, If I trust the company I have no issue with grey warranties, the way I understand it, if I buy a brand new paramilitary 2, the blade snaps in half cutting cardboard or it won't lock up due to a reason unrelated to being taken apart Spyderco will make it right regardless of if its been disassembled. If I strip screws, screw up the lock bar, or send in a letter or email completely incomprehensibly, I may have to pay, I completely understand not wanting to commit to either fixing other people's screw ups or telling honest customers they are screwed if they take the knife apart.

Actually revdevil has said spyderco can tell if a knife has been opened up through a variety of methods which include examining the internals for marks,fingerprints, signs the knife has been opened I'll try and find the post. Why should getting a company to abide by there published warranty be like pulling teeth? I agree common sense ain't so common

The common sense part is, you won't break it because you know what you are doing, and if the knife develops a warranty issue that has nothing to do with you disassembling the knife, Charlynn will take care of you.

It isn't like pulling teeth. You don't even have a knife issue. How are you inconvenienced? It's petty really.

They can easily tell if you opened it. Rev had to tell you to know that?

I'm curious doesn't the warranty as it is already cover spyderco completely? It clearly states if you damage the knife in any way that it voids the warranty... what else needs to be covered?
I sometimes disassemble to clean or mod... I have no worries though, I know that Spyderco's warranty dept Charlynn will take care of me as she has on two of my knives that I gave obviously opened and tinkered with. The key here is that I didn't break those knives by not knowing what Im doing taking it apart so I know I was good on the warranty.

They deal with a lot of fraud and people trying to take advantage, I can see why they choose to take certain steps on making it a limited LIFETIME warranty with grey areas to their advantage instead of an unconditional one. They do seem to make an obvious effort in treating customers right though so it's a non issue to those with common sense.

Not quite the point. If there is not an issue with the knife what purpose to take it apart?

If your taking it apart simply for curiosity or tweaking or whatever then that is on us as owners. If there is a real issue with the performance or build or materials I think you should just send it in as is if you expect it to be warranted.

Look at this from their point of veiw. If your making and selling knives in the volume that spyderco does would you want to encourage everyone with a set of torx bits taking it apart and stripping screws, loosing parts bending liners/washers and then think, oh crap, I will just put it back together and send it in for warranty. The majority of their sales are not knife nuts that actually care about details.

usarmy if your active or retired service I thank you for your service to me and our country, however I think we will have to agree to disagree on this. I don't think you will find a more stand up group of people than we have in Golden, CO.

And if a knife has zero damage before and after disassembly what was repaired? Cleaning and repair are not the same.

I'm curious doesn't the warranty as it is already cover spyderco completely? It clearly states if you damage the knife in any way that it voids the warranty... what else needs to be covered?

Wait. What are you arguing about, then?

There are a few logical thinkers who have seen my point and if you can't then reread from post one I've covered everything several times.

Sal has said in these forums the act of disassembly of a spyderco knife voids the warranty even if there is no damage. The warranty says the warranty is voided if you DAMAGE the knife.
Wait. What are you arguing about, then?

Sal has said in these forums the act of disassembly of a spyderco knife voids the warranty even if there is no damage. The warranty says the warranty is voided if you DAMAGE the knife.

Right, but you are going over and over again. You don't have a knife that is broken and Spyderco didn't take care of you. You know that Charlynn will take care of it if a problem arises so WHAT are you arguing about? You are being petty.

That's what R8shell is saying.

Back