SpydieChef thread

This is also on my buy list. Of all the mid year releases this one with the corrosion resistant blade is the only 1 I have any interest in.

I can understand using a folding knife for food prep in a pinch or in the field. But for the life of me I don't understand why a folding knife would be chosen for food prep at home. It is far more difficult to clean and the possibility of bacterial contamination in a food area is a real turn off. Can somebody explain this to me? BTW, I love Slysz designs. His Bowie has been my EDC since I received it. The design of the chef is not the issue.

I have several buddies who we rotate houses between for BBQing, cooking, watching football etc. All of them have crappy dull kitchen knives. I could see how this could he handy for that.

I have several buddies who we rotate houses between for BBQing, cooking, watching football etc. All of them have crappy dull kitchen knives. I could see how this could he handy for that.
Sure, I agree with that. But would anybody who likes and uses knives use this as a primary kitchen knife at home? Maybe I'm a complete nut job here but I would assume that knife people have sharp kitchen knives designed specifically that use. And they would maintain them.

Na wouldn't do that. Depends how much you cook out of your own kitchen I guess. I do occasionally cut up an apple or an onion at home with a sebenza though.

it's cool to be able to use this in a pinch, but I'm just in for the design. LOVE my Techno, and this is like the bigger brother!

First impressions are very good. Will update later. Quick pics... If you have any requests I can try to take better ones tonight.
30301345920_fcbf5eb93f_k.jpg

30484477922_33d32f5cda_k.jpg

30513072011_46864d7a0e_k.jpg

30301323440_6eb45e2020_k.jpg

30301329150_3f8937182f_k.jpg

30301334810_f3cae04745_k.jpg

30301340510_3ea733e6c4_k.jpg

Great shots, abba! Beautiful lines.

Hard to say before I actually handle it, but I think I like it better than the Bowie.

Curious to see one along with a Rock Lobster for comparison.

Great shots, abba! Beautiful lines.

Hard to say before I actually handle it, but I think I like it better than the Bowie.

Curious to see one along with a Rock Lobster for comparison.

Me too! Hoping someone here still has one.

I quite like the Military for impromptu food prep. The negative blade angle creates space for the knuckles when working on a cutting board. The flat but angled spine is very useful for scraping food off the cutting board.

Looking at these pictures, I realise that the Spydiechef lacks that flat and angled spine, which is a bit of a bummer.

Well... still without going into details... what a slicer! Great for EDC as well, flat and light but still you get strength of a Ti framelock.

spydiechef_web_01.jpg

and please, don't ask 'where did you ...' ;)

LC200 N is the equivalent rebirth of a steel called Cronidur 30, but the newer named steel is made with a process they call PESR. Another particulate manufacturing process, that allows for a very very fine grain. NASA makes ball bearings out of this steel. If it's good enough for the space shuttle it's good enough for me. It was originally marketed for tools used in corrosive environments and/or under dynamic loads. 60-62HRC. It's a stainless steel with 15% Cr.

I'll buy it just because of the open standoff construction, I love that set up. I wish they would've done that type of handle contouring on the K2. Look how the belly of the blade sits considerably lower than the handle, even the lowest part of the handle, when the knife is on a horizontal plane. Would that not make for a great chopper?

Back