SpydieChef thread

Well... still without going into details... what a slicer! Great for EDC as well, flat and light but still you get strength of a Ti framelock.

spydiechef_web_01.jpg

and please, don't ask 'where did you ...' ;)

Mine is soon boarding a plane from the US:thumbup: :cool:

wait, did I miss something.. is this out??

There was already one that sold on the Exchange. I was tempted but there were some pretty obvious marks from the clip rubbing and the lock up looked really late.

I believe there were a few that got sent to a dealer last week, but most dealers should start getting them this week.

Could someone tell me more about the steel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To your question - THIS FROM THE LATEST SPYDERCO byte email -

Spyderco’s extraordinary Salt Series revolutionized the cutlery industry with the introduction of a complete line of 100% rustproof knives featuring nitrogen-based H-1 steel. Although H-1 is still the steel of choice in most of the knives in the Salt family, it has recently been joined by another remarkable corrosion-resistant material: LC200N.

LC200N is a high nitrogen alloyed tool steel produced by a combination of the PESR (Pressurized Electric Slag Remelting) Process and “smart forging” technology. This results in an amazing increase in the steel’s purity and a very fine and homogenous microstructure. The material’s advantages include excellent machinability and polishability, outstanding dimensional stability after heat treatment, and superior corrosion resistance and toughness—even at high hardness.

Unlike H-1’s work-hardening properties, LC200N is a true martensitic steel that achieves its hardness through traditional heat treating. Regarded as the material of choice for applications that involve high static and dynamic loads in corrosive environments, LC200N is widely used in the food, chemical, recycling, and pharmaceutical industries, as well as in mirror-polished dies used in the plastics industry. It is best known, however, as NASA’s preferred material for the ball bearings used in their aerospace equipment.

LC200N’s unique alloy composition includes: 0.3% Carbon, 15% Chromium, 0.5% Nitrogen, 0.95% Molybdenum, 0.5% Nickel, and 1.00% Manganese. When this combination of elements is translated to knife blades, LC200N provides an exceptional blend of toughness, edge holding, and corrosion resistance. As a martensitic steel, it also allows the precise control of finished hardness through the hardening and tempering processes.

Spyderco first introduced LC200N in its popular Tusk™ mariner’s tool and proudly features it in the new Marcin Slysz-inspired Spydiechef. We are also incorporating it into select Exclusive models like our recent collaboration with Never Summer Industries.

LC200N is an exciting addition to Spyderco’s Salt Series and our ever-expanding selection of high-performance blade steels. Look for this remarkable material in more new models in the near future.

There was already one that sold on the Exchange. I was tempted but there were some pretty obvious marks from the clip rubbing and the lock up looked really late.

I believe there were a few that got sent to a dealer last week, but most dealers should start getting them this week.

The late lock up is what I love about Slysz designs!

The late lock up is what I love about Slysz designs!
Not only. I've talked to Chris Reeve (framelock inventor after all) many times @ multiple BladeShows and late lockup of 50% or more is exactly what a framelock should be. Spyderco do it right! Early lockup can lead to nasty consequences as the stability of the lock under dynamic use can be easily compromised. If the lockup is really early it's not better than liner lock. But it's another topic... here we (will) enjoy SpydieChef :D

I'm eagerly awaiting it's release! Although I doubt I'll be quick enough on the draw haha.

Pfff...... I ordered it on KC this morning when it said in stock and on the phone they said I got the last one and it would ship tomorrow, when I looked at my order online later it had switched to preorder and they said the one I got went to someone else who had preordered.....emotional rollercoaster....... :(

Last edited:
Pfff...... I ordered it on KC this morning when it said in stock and on the phone they said I got the last one and it would ship tomorrow, when I looked at my order online later it had switched back to preorder and they said the one I got went to someone else who had preordered.....emotional rollercoaster....... :(

This is why I don't pre-order. I'm sure they will be readily available at most dealers soon.

This is why I don't pre-order. I'm sure they will be readily available at most dealers soon.

I totally agree about preorders, they suck. I didn't preorder it was just "in stock" and then verbally confirmed via phone after I ordered online. THEN!, after I got off work I looked on their site to see if it had happened to ship and they had switched my order to a pre-order without calling or emailing me. I never intended to preorder because whenever I do that I see them available elsewhere first.

Which I already did actually.....

Last edited:
I'm sure there are more in the pipeline... in the meantime - sunny fall colors, yeah!

spydiechef_web_01112016.jpg

Just bought one from nationalknives. I'm guessing they have a few more in stock if anyone is interested.

Back