Stacked leather handles

One of my favorites

scu%20whole%20blade%20right%20gd.jpg

Not my image*

I'm partial to this KaBar Mark I
IqcglA5.jpg

Buck 117 Brahma. The handle is really nice once you break it in a bit.

image.jpg

During my searches for an off-the-shelf leather handled puukko the past couple weeks, I kept coming back to these knives. They've certainly moved onto the hotlist. I foresee them in my future.

I think the 119 brahma would be more appealing in something like 5160. I'm pretty fond of the regular 119 I have in 5160 and I feel the spring steel suits the bigger blade a little nicer, IMO.

Can't believe I just now found this thread. I have a camp oriented knife from @wajgy that's scheduled to be finishing up in the next couple weeks (potentially this week even) and I'm working on a puukko with another maker on the forums as a companion.

For now, I only have a beat up kabar I received in a trade and a Hess pioneer.
4A6gxHHl.jpg

V4nroWQl.jpg

So, what can You tell us about Your impressions of the Hess?

Regards
Mikael

So, what can You tell us about Your impressions of the Hess?

Regards
Mikael

I think it's very well built and would make a really nice hunter. I was thinking this could give me a little insights into what a marbles woodcraft was like when I was exploring Kephart and read that he liked the marbles woodcraft. This is a thinner a very nice slicier. Another forum member, Leghog (posted earlier), mentioned that the Hess hunter would've been a better option, though I've never seen one for sale. This would be amazing in the kitchen or cutting any soft media. I don't like it as much for carving up wood as it's very thin and wide. It ended up being more like a pointy Nessmuk than a bushcraft knife, really.

I like the handle feel but it certainly isn't for those with XL hands. I wear large gloves and I don't think it would fit someone with larger mits.

During my searches for an off-the-shelf leather handled puukko the past couple weeks, I kept coming back to these knives. They've certainly moved onto the hotlist. I foresee them in my future.

I think the 119 brahma would be more appealing in something like 5160. I'm pretty fond of the regular 119 I have in 5160 and I feel the spring steel suits the bigger blade a little nicer, IMO.

I have a 102 woodsman and 110 in 5160. It’s a great steel and I would love to see it offered on both of the Brahmas. Their 420HC is no slouch as I’m sure you know, but 5160 (or any high carbon steel, really) would be nice.

I think it's very well built and would make a really nice hunter. I was thinking this could give me a little insights into what a marbles woodcraft was like when I was exploring Kephart and read that he liked the marbles woodcraft. This is a thinner a very nice slicier. Another forum member, Leghog (posted earlier), mentioned that the Hess hunter would've been a better option, though I've never seen one for sale...
I remember that conversation and I was looking at Hess knives for the same reason.

I don't own a stacked leather handle knife. I think that needs to change with either a Hess or Blackjack.

@wajgy finished my blade up earlier than expected. Here's some pictures that were sitting in my inbox this morning. Leather handle, 5.2mm vandis 4E, 14cm blade, 27cm overrall, and a slight forward lean to get the belly bellow the knuckles.
b1c1rmEl.jpg

TfKpWg6l.jpg

Wxfq8YLl.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's very well built and would make a really nice hunter. I was thinking this could give me a little insights into what a marbles woodcraft was like when I was exploring Kephart and read that he liked the marbles woodcraft. This is a thinner a very nice slicier. Another forum member, Leghog (posted earlier), mentioned that the Hess hunter would've been a better option, though I've never seen one for sale. This would be amazing in the kitchen or cutting any soft media. I don't like it as much for carving up wood as it's very thin and wide. It ended up being more like a pointy Nessmuk than a bushcraft knife, really.

I like the handle feel but it certainly isn't for those with XL hands. I wear large gloves and I don't think it would fit someone with larger mits.

Thanks for Your thoughts! :thumbsup:
Basically I can agree with You and instead I choosed the Tiburon.
Out of the box that one came as a thin convex ground, supersharp slicer and I set the edge somewhat thicker for woodwork.
The heattreatment is said to be the same as GEC and this ensures great performance from the 1095 steel.

The handle feels small also in my medium sized hands already without gloves.
I fixed this by reshaping the pommel to give more lenght on the handle and also rounded the top for more smoothness in hand.
I shortened the guard and this meant I had to fix a new place for the buttonsnap on the sheath.
These simple mod's made the knife way better in use IMO.

At a pricepoint around $100 I think the Hess Knives are a great budget alternative to Black Jack, Bark River and Fällkniven.
The quality is there and with some personal touches they make great users!

Regards
Mikael

Thanks for Your thoughts! :thumbsup:
Basically I can agree with You and instead I choosed the Tiburon.
Out of the box that one came as a thin convex ground, supersharp slicer and I set the edge somewhat thicker for woodwork.
The heattreatment is said to be the same as GEC and this ensures great performance from the 1095 steel.

The handle feels small also in my medium sized hands already without gloves.
I fixed this by reshaping the pommel to give more lenght on the handle and also rounded the top for more smoothness in hand.
I shortened the guard and this meant I had to fix a new place for the buttonsnap on the sheath.
These simple mod's made the knife way better in use IMO.

At a pricepoint around $100 I think the Hess Knives are a great budget alternative to Black Jack, Bark River and Fällkniven.
The quality is there and with some personal touches they make great users!

Regards
Mikael

I think the tiburon would've been a better knife for. I found the pioneer used and was really curious to try a blade edge that was basically all belly.

The knife from @wajgy / pwcustoms finally arrived today. What a wonderful knife. It was a designed we worked on for a few weeks as I kept wanting more of a forward cant and we went through a few drawings but it was a pleasure dealing with him and the final product is fantastic. Inspiration came from a custom I bought from another maker who is on the forums but the blade is thin and the steel doesn't hold an edge too well for wood, using a simple spring steel for the blade (roughly a European 5160). It's a mean slicer in the kitchen though. But, I wanted something for the woods with a similar curvature and angle. It puts the belly in front of the knuckles and helps the edge dig into the wood for me. Also makes using a knee lever a lot easier, which is a technique I love and use a lot. Having a longer blade helps a lot with the knee lever for me since I have very thick legs.

I was able to get a few minutes outside with it for some basic camp tasks. I was processing some firewood, the main task for the 45 min or so I was able to take to get out of the house for a bit.
G7C88jml.jpg

tJHvQsCl.jpg

MaaEiRRl.jpg

M0dvDDtl.jpg

7llI8uwl.jpg

1aK3edgl.jpg

B81SEUHl.jpg

Back