Stacked leather handles

Thanks brother! Regarding the squirrels, have you considered slingshotting those little suckers.

I prefer a pellet gun for squirrels, if I'm after a meal. I prefer a 12ga for squirrels, if I'm after a nuisance. Same animal, different attitude...

Thanks brother! Regarding the squirrels, have you considered slingshotting those little suckers.

I need an "excuse" to get a recurve, because I really just want a recurve bow. Silent and very lethal for all sorts of things, since I live in the suburbs, but can very quickly get away from the homes along some dirt roads or swampy trails.

I've never really cared for slingshots, probably in part because I couldn't hit anything with them when I was younger.

For nuisance, and I know where they're at, I've had pretty good luck with several styles of lethal traps. I have a few chipmunks that needs to see the bad side of a pokey spring as they seem to think my car is going to be their winter hibernation spot.

A little late for this winter perhaps, but a Maine Coon kitten now would be a chipmunks WORST nightmare in a year, providing hours of quality entertainment!!!

I like stacked leather grips.
The only three I own at this time is a 1980 Western L66 and a matched pair branded "Mossy Oak" from Walmart.
One the size of a Buck 117 the other the size of the Western L66.
At least the L66 fits in the smaller "Mossy Oak" sheath. The original Western sheath I have has seen better days ... and nights, I suppose.

I'm hoping to obtain a Army/Navy Surplus Ontario 499 "Pilot Survival Knife" someday.
That was my favorite sheath knife when I was in the BSA way back in the 1960's.

My favorites are probably this, a real EDC with 4.4" blade and four finger grip handle, totally suitable for pocket carry (by Ashenforge on BF's Knife Maker's Market) :

Ol2xv2v.jpg

And this, "pleasure of the eyes" (it even features flying ducks, a forest and a lake...), but still a very capable knife with it's 5.2" hollow ground blade and a strong, grippy handle (A&R Zlatoust) :

8Mk3Wsh.jpg

James Behring, Jr. - Behring Made Knives - Missoula, MT
James, and his assistant Grant, are doing really nice stacked leather handles. I was through Missoula in August and had the opportunity to work out this design with them in person, based on what I had seen of James's work online. Excellent people. The knife got to me this week. 3.5" blued O1 tool steel blade of 1/8" stock. The handle is stacked leather, maroon fiber and copper spacers, with copper pinned sambar stag. Pretty sure it's with me till the end.

Behring Bite.jpeg

I so wish I had kept and protected my dad's ka-bar from his Navy years, WWII. I remember using it as a kid, and it was never treated well. Was thrown around unprotected in tool and tackle boxes. I'm fairly certain it was probably tossed out as junk during one of their moves.

The only stacked handle I have is a simple ka-bar Dog's Head. I like it, but very simple in comparison to some of the beauties I see in this thread.

xtCjvGu.jpg

Back