Still Wanted: Cadet X

I have a Delemont Evowood 14. No, it’s not alox, but it’s a beautiful knife, really comfortable in the hand, & more pocketable than you’d expect for its thickness. I’d recommend either it or the above-mentioned Evogrip equivalent while you wait for Victorinox to satisfy your request.

On the other hand you can simply pair your Cadet with the 58mm on your keyring. 🙂

Check out the 85mm Evo Grip 14. Same tool set as the Cadet + scissors, toothpick, tweezers, with a punch/awl and multipurpose corkscrew on the back.
Not an ALOX, but the covers are nylon with rubber(?)
(shown with 58mm Mini Champ)
View attachment 1825100

Hey bud, how do the rubber inserts stand up to exposure to some mosquito repellents or gun solvents residue on your fingers. I've had the cellidor partly melt or get 'tacky' if the stuff gets on them. One reason I love alox.

Hey bud, how do the rubber inserts stand up to exposure to some mosquito repellents or gun solvents residue on your fingers. I've had the cellidor partly melt or get 'tacky' if the stuff gets on them. One reason I love alox.
I honestly don't know. My pistol and ML rifle are over at the facility owners place. I've only had the Evo Grip 14 for about a month. No 🤬🤬🤬🤬 skeeters ... yet ... I'm pretty sure that'll change in the next month or so though. 😟👎
The 3 In One oil I use to lube the joints, and meat/chicken grease hasn't affected the covers that I can tell.

Consider an Evowood if you’re uncertain.

74mm celidor Ambassador + 84mm alox Bantam

What you get:

74mm Scissors
Nail file w/ nail cleaner tip
2 Knife blades
Combo bottle cap lifter/can opener tool w/ wire notch and flat/phillips screwdriver capability
Toothpick
Tweezers

The tip of the nail cleaner also works on tiny phillips head screws.

I just got a Rancher X and I gotta say it’s probably my favorite SAK yet. I would still be interested in a Cadet X though.

If I'm uncertain, I go alox. Thats why I'm on the Cadet X bandwagon!

I no longer even own any SAK that is not alox.
In that case, in my opinion your best alternative becomes an alox money clip. Same 74mm size as an ambassador, same size scissors as an ambassador, same toolset, but with smooth alox scales and a wide clip that you can use as a pocket clip if you want.

In that case, in my opinion your best alternative becomes an alox money clip. Same 74mm size as an ambassador, same size scissors as an ambassador, same toolset, but with smooth alox scales and a wide clip that you can use as a pocket clip if you want.

Why would I do that? If my alox classic is too small, and just carried for the scissors, then the skinny 74mm blade is not that much better. The whole object of the 84mm is its getting into real useful pocket knife size for a 'one size fits all' role. The cadet blade is large enough to slice a baguette and some nice cheese, and If need be, its capable of more serious cutting that the keychain 58's and 74's. I carried an executive for a few years, and in the end it wasn't enough for the "one' pocket knife to carry. The whole idea of the Cadet X is to eliminate the second SAK of the team. The Cadet has far more screw driving capability and can opening, where the 74mm has no can opener, bottle opener, and a flat screw driver strong enough for light pry duties. And I really don't like backside tools. The smooth back of the cadet, alox bantam, pioneer, Wenger SI, and Excelsior are much nicer I hand of you have to lean on it a little.

We need a Cadet X.

For me it got to the point where I just had Spikediesel Spikediesel throw together what I wanted. Neither ended up being a Cadet X lol, but both are 84mm SAKs with scissors.
I think the mini pioneer x is a better idea anyway, I’ll trade a fingernail file for an awl every day of the week and twice on Sunday. His work is well worth the coin.

*I still carry a 58mm tho because I turn more small screws (I have 2 young grandkids) than anything. Just try replacing batteries on a child’s toy without using a tiny Phillips…it’s nearly impossible. 😂

Bantam X would be a killer for me!
Agreed.

I built this:
rs=w:400

…but wish Victorinox would too. So much more compact than a 91mm Compact.

I’ve submitted the idea to Victorinox to use the 74mm/SwissCard sized scissors with a revised tang for the 84mm frames.

The more I think about it, the more I want a Cadet X and an Alox Rambler.
Yeah, I think Victorinox underestimates the market for both. It’s hard to beat the slim factor of the smaller alox frames.

Did you get around to building your 93mm?

Yeah, I think Victorinox underestimates the market for both. It’s hard to beat the slim factor of the smaller alox frames.

Did you get around to building your 93mm?
No, not yet. I’ve been too busy with other projects. New ebike, new PC, working on a state senate campaign, and my regular job.

Back