Still Wanted: Cadet X

Sorry for my bad English. I want to try again more precisely. The shown angle in picture will work for sure. I have already milled out the root of the scissors further. Than the scissors had 180 degree. This worked well for a while until the knife fell on the hard stone floor and the scissors broke.
So I said I would build only the angle shown in the picture with a clear conscience. I'd rather sell a knife less than have a dissatisfied customer.
I am not talking about removing more from the "root" of the scissors.

I have asked three times if you tried removing material from the end of the backspring. The backspring is a completely separate piece. Removing material from the end of the backspring will not weaken the scissors.

edit:
backspring.jpg

this part

Not the scissors. The backspring.

Last edited:
No, i didn´t try to remove material from the end of the backspring.
Thank you for the tipp. today in the evening i build a bantam with scissors. than i take a look to the backspring

Glad you’re more open to changing your thinking. Well done.

Now, what if I tell you you can actually remove material from the above design, and completely eliminate the half-stop action? And I don’t mean to grind away the old pivot hole completely or any more than it is right now.

Kamakiri, i tried to understand, without success.
I cannot imagine, how i should shorten the root otherwise.
For sure important is, how the scissors on the other end fits to the end of the knife.

Look For exampel to the end of this freshly made Bantam X.

45432219pj.jpeg

45432221yt.jpeg

45432222ib.jpeg

Look For exampel to the end of this freshly made Bantam X.
I see more room to leave it longer. As I’ve said earlier there’s more room for different alignment. Lots of examples out there of designs that work without the half stop. Just gotta look or be willing to try something different like with the backspring trim. Good luck.

When there is a pivot hole on a tool which is too big for the smaller size of brass rod being used for the pivot, a modder will sometimes hammer a piece of brass to fill the inside of the pivot hole of the tool and then drill a new smaller hole into the brass filling. This is how to make a larger tool fit in a SAK with a smaller pivot diameter. You could try doing a similar thing with the original hole on the scissors to eliminate the half-stop by filling in the remaining part of the original hole with brass.

edit:
brass-filling.jpg

The yellow part is the brass filling.

Last edited:
That works if and when you have most of the hole remaining. Or al least enough to retain the plug. But it is possible to design without the half stop action, despite the hole.

Thanks for your hints. The half stop doesn't bother me to much. But to be quite honest, I would also prefer it if the scissors ran smoothly. I'll test it and report back here. Thanks

One more suggestion is that the radius be more consistent relative to the new pivot hole. The more concentric they are, the smoother it will operate. Calipers are useful for checking.

You could also use other metals besides brass for the filling if you want. I don't have much experience working with things other than brass, but there are less soft metals which are also silver in color that you could use if you wanted to. You might also use a metal bonding glue. There may even be some kind of hard resin you could use for filling instead of metal. These are just suggestions of things to maybe try. Good luck getting things figured out!

:)

Back