Still Wanted: Cadet X

Submitted. In the meantime, is there anyone who could turn my Cadet into a X?
Not quite a basic Cadet X with the added hook and 58mm combo:

52282590235_84631c8ec2.jpg

Idea submitted. In the meantime, is there anyone who could turn my Cadet into a X just like this one but without the hook?

In the meantime, is there anyone who could turn my Cadet into a X just like this one but without the hook?

Honestly, I’m not sure anyone is nuts enough to do this for a customer with the 58mm Combo Tool and peened rivets, blind 4th pin, etc., even without the hook.

Or to put it another way, I’d be skeptical of anybody saying they’d take the job with those exact specs.

Perhaps, but the ”hipster” type instagram folks like the custom ones because they are more expensive and unique, in other words, not what common folks carry. It’s largely vanity.
Of course I am not disagreeing that there would not be demand for cadet x - but nobody knows if it would make sense financially.
But the again Victorinox came out with the limited completely unique (and overpriced) anniversary reproduction lately so who knows if they are just lazy with the cadet x.
Some of these people exist, surely. I follow one account on Instagram - the guy posts very nice knives, but like, three different sets a day, all pristine, so one day I ask if he's a reposting account (eg, re-posts pictures of people's carries for exposure to other people) and he was like "No, all these are mine", and that was all I needed to know. I can see these are not used knives.

Even users like to choose their looks.

Some, like me, want a modded knife to use. The Spyderco Cricket and wharncliffe D-fly are my favorite small user Spydercos. I always carry a SAK. So... put one of those blades in two 91mm SAKs, I have everything in one, (er, two) package, just throw it in my pocket and get to cuttin'.
Some of the decisions (such as my desire to retain my white graphic scales, and wanting to put a Vic double-edged clip-point grafting knife in place of just the regular blade) are indeed cosmetic, and are there just to look good - but to me, not to Instagram. If Instagram likes it too, then that is just dandy, but I like the style for me.

Some of these people exist, surely. I follow one account on Instagram - the guy posts very nice knives, but like, three different sets a day, all pristine, so one day I ask if he's a reposting account (eg, re-posts pictures of people's carries for exposure to other people) and he was like "No, all these are mine", and that was all I needed to know. I can see these are not used knives.

Even users like to choose their looks.

Some, like me, want a modded knife to use. The Spyderco Cricket and wharncliffe D-fly are my favorite small user Spydercos. I always carry a SAK. So... put one of those blades in two 91mm SAKs, I have everything in one, (er, two) package, just throw it in my pocket and get to cuttin'.
Some of the decisions (such as my desire to retain my white graphic scales, and wanting to put a Vic double-edged clip-point grafting knife in place of just the regular blade) are indeed cosmetic, and are there just to look good - but to me, not to Instagram. If Instagram likes it too, then that is just dandy, but I like the style for me.
Absolutely. I sometimes get carried away with hating the posers and then get everyone else mixed in including decent people. Maybe just too much exposure to social media for me. I have dropped all social media for me and I must say that I do find my life much more pleasant. It’s a little bit more boring now when I get some extra time and want to just browse but at least I’m not just obsessively fiddling with my phone all the time.

Like I said previously in other post: don’t mind me, I’m just a hater.

A.L. A.L. Don't even worry about it man, your message is all well and clear, and by the way, good on you for nixing the social media! I keep certain accounts as a method of communication for old friends/people who want to get in contact with me but do not have my phone number, but the mind certainly is a lot healthier without the constant scrolling. :)

Question: With the way you are putting 91mm scissors in the 84mm SAK, is the leaf spring for the scissors still accessible for removal and replacement without the customer having to disassemble the SAK by drilling out the brass pin holding the scissors in place?
Hello, if the spring for scissors is lose, pin for scissors have to drill out and new in. For sure i can do this in nearly 1 hour of work.

Here are all parts - also the modificated ones. Next Bantam X will be gun metal grey :)
45383530bl.jpeg

if the spring for scissors is lose, pin for scissors have to drill out and new in.
Thank you for the clarification. As long as the customer understands that the knife has to be disassembled if the scissor spring needs to be replaced, I think this is perfectly fine.

That’s a bold claim with the 90° stop on the scissors…and they don’t look like they quite open all the way.
So that the scissors can be installed in full length, I shorten them at the bottom at the root. Of course I also have to drill a new axle hole.
Because the root is shortened exactly at the original axle hole, a conversion in my way without a half stop is not possible.
Yes, the scissors only open 160-170 degrees. There is no other way. In order to realize 180 degrees, I would have to weaken the root even more.

Regards Andreas

So that the scissors can be installed in full length, I shorten them at the bottom at the root. Of course I also have to drill a new axle hole.
Because the root is shortened exactly at the original axle hole, a conversion in my way without a half stop is not possible.
Yes, the scissors only open 160-170 degrees. There is no other way. In order to realize 180 degrees, I would have to weaken the root even more.

Regards Andreas
People have been doing this mod for 11+ years and many with full length, full 180° opening, without cutting through the original pivot hole or getting so close to the scissor spring anchor hole. There’s more room available to tweak things.
rs=w:500,h:500

Many examples are in another SAK and Mod forum. Easy enough to google yourself, and I don’t like spamming this forum with other forum links or re-posting other peoples’ pics.

But you’re missing my main point: You shouldn’t say that the scissors work or snap ‘like original’.

i wrote "All tools are working and snapping like original, or better"
For my taste - obviously not for yours - the scissors are working better. 160 degree is more userfriendly and they are snapping better.

In Youtube and Google i found no other good working 91mm Scissors in 84mm Vics.
Maybe i am to old ;-)

I think it's definitely a little scary to do this kind of mod. The place where you need to remove material at the base of the scissor arm ends up leaving a very narrow bridge of metal connecting the arm of the scissors to the area around the pivot. The hole for the leaf spring being so close definitely doesn't help. It can make that spot look very fragile, so I sympathize with being reluctant to remove any more material from it.

Have you thought about taking some material off of the end of the backspring instead?

Thanks Guy MCVer, yes, stopping the scissors at 160 degrees was initially necessary because I didn't want to weaken the root unnecessarily. When I then used the scissors, I noticed afterwards that 160 degrees is actually a lot more user-friendly. Of course you could drill the new hole further forward, then the unabridged scissors at the front end of the knife protrudes too far (for my taste).

Last edited:
Thank you also Barbapapa, yes, I've been toying with the idea of using screws and sleeves. With the original handle scales, I was not able to make it look clean and the tools run without play. But that is certainly due to my manual skills and the tools that are available to me. So I'll stick with peening. I (probobly only i) always like the original look more than the screws.
Sorry for my bad english - Andreas

stopping the scissors at 160 degrees was initially necessary because I didn't want to weaken the root unnecessarily. When I then used the scissors, I noticed afterwards that 160 degrees is actually a lot more user-friendly.

What if your customer wants the scissors to open to 180 degrees? Have you tried removing a little from the end of the backspring to allow the scissors to open more fully?

Look at this picture. This angle i can build with a clear conscience.

I have no desire to argue with you about which angle is best.

I am talking about suiting the wishes of your customer who might prefer to have the scissors fully open.

Have you or have you not tried removing some material from the end of the backspring to allow the scissors to open to 180 degrees? This is the third time I am asking you this question. Please answer it. Thank you.

Removing material from the backspring instead of the "root" of the scissors seems like it would be a better option. Have you tried it?

Sorry for my bad English. I want to try again more precisely. The shown angle in picture will work for sure. I have already milled out the root of the scissors further. Than the scissors had 180 degree. This worked well for a while until the knife fell on the hard stone floor and the scissors broke.
So I said I would build only the angle shown in the picture with a clear conscience. I'd rather sell a knife less than have a dissatisfied customer.

Back