Sub-$300 Katana (2014 edition)

Steven,
have you any experience with the Ronin Elite?
What is your opinion with Dynasty?

No experience with Ronin Elite.

I looked at Dynasty Forge products available on Kult of Athena the other night. It looks to me that they are the same people that make the Cold Steel branded swords, based upon the tanto patterns, and overall shape....Fred Chen, if I remember correctly....I had some bad experiences about 12 years ago with that imprint, we had special ordered a batch of swords and the heat treat was not right.

I AM considering purchasing an RK2 sword...the price point is still quite low, but it is appealing to me in an overall sense.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Where are you getting it from?
I've been looking for available HSTS models.

Direct.....Ricky....he has advised that he has diff. hardened available as well, but I don't need a hamon on a dedicated cutting sword.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Is that the weebly site?
I don't care much for a hamon on my cutting swords either.

I just typed in HSTS swords, and used the "contact us" form.

I prefer hamon on all Japanese style swords, but I can live without it. I have an L6 beast from Bailey Bradshaw that does not have a hamon, keeps the edge nicely and cuts well.

.....but both my CAS Tiger Elite and Shinto Elite cut much better...love the blade geometry.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I'd like to get a cas Tiger, it's back ordered though.
I found a really cheap price for the tori elite, I may just try that.

Umm, STeven, The Ronin Elite Mr. True was speaking of is the "Ronin Katana Elite Series." Thought that needed some clearing up.

Yea, it looks pretty appealing. I've never handled one but people seem to love it. I also appreciate it's no frills look, being that it is specifically a cutter.

Sounded like you were asking a question, not answering one. Either way, like I said, I liked the Tenchi and Kaze models from Cheness. Do you own any katanas yourself? How do you feel about other manufacturers? Thank you for adding to this topic!
I don't own any, though I'd like to. The Tenchi and Kaze look nice. I think I planned on buying the Kaze once upon a time.
I'll keep an eye on this thread. I should educate myself before I express opinions on other manufacturers.

I own a Ronin dojo pro "hagakure" and a cold steel warrior.

I prefer the Ronin for its balance and shape. Really a great looking blade too.
The warrior feels like a bat in comparison, but man does it cut.
The Ronin is just way more agile.

Back