Sub-$300 Katana (2014 edition)

Yea, I'd like to see what becomes available, but when I contacted about ordering it seemed somewhat shrewd and didn't try to get me set up and ordered.

e9e7y9yt.jpg

I got my dojo pro from sword buyers guide store. They were great. But I also didn't ask much of them. :)

If you're going to be doing cutting, get a monotempered. If you are going to have a piece of art go traditional.

If you are a hack, it doesn't matter what you cut with, you will hack it.

If you are a cutter, you can cut with just about anything.

I cut with an L6 through-tempered Bailey Bradshaw and an L6 Preying Mantis Hanwei that I tested by smacking wara HARD like a baseball bat....both of these swords cut more than adequately, but not great.

The swords I cut with that do very well in competition and demonstration in front of a whole lot of people are the CAS Tiger Elite and CAS Shinto Elite.

Maybe you have heard of a few of the cutters that I cut with and against: Big Tony Alvarez, Bob Elder Sensei, Dave Drawdy, Erik Tracy Sensei(my Sensei), Hataya Mitsuo Sensei, Robin Ramierez Sensei......

The statement that a through tempered blade is automatically superior to a differentially heat treated blade is without foundation or knowledge.

Who are you, what is your formal title/ranking and what is your ryu?

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

If I offer you money for something you sell, I'd hope you'd be prompt to sell to me. Or I have to go somewhere else.

Kohai,
where the heck do you get a Bailey Bradshaw. I've seen some pics of his beautiful katanas, but I can't find his site. And what pricing did HSTS give you because they haven't got back to me yet?

If you are a hack, it doesn't matter what you cut with, you will hack it.

If you are a cutter, you can cut with just about anything.

I cut with an L6 through-tempered Bailey Bradshaw and an L6 Preying Mantis Hanwei that I tested by smacking wara HARD like a baseball bat....both of these swords cut more than adequately, but not great.

The swords I cut with that do very well in competition and demonstration in front of a whole lot of people are the CAS Tiger Elite and CAS Shinto Elite.

Maybe you have heard of a few of the cutters that I cut with and against: Big Tony Alvarez, Bob Elder Sensei, Dave Drawdy, Erik Tracy Sensei(my Sensei), Hataya Mitsuo Sensei, Robin Ramierez Sensei......

The statement that a through tempered blade is automatically superior to a differentially heat treated blade is without foundation or knowledge.

Who are you, what is your formal title/ranking and what is your ryu?

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

DUDE! He is just stating his opinion, man. I have heard the same thing repeated, as well. You come off as a bit abrasive. I know that you know your shit, you tell us constantly, and I appreciate the hell out of you for stated YOUR opinion. As far as opinions go, the more the merrier! And BTW, this was his original statement: Mack said, "I would like an elite for a wall hanger, but for cutting durability, the monotempered has proven more durable.
Guys that walk in to train with a folded traditional crafted katana, soon switch to monotempered to train with." I see nothing wrong with this statement, and I am glad he posted it. Thank you to everyone for sharing!

I'm just recommending a decent sub $300 blade.

I can't name drop like you can. Your clearly have superior knowledge, and skill.

I'm just recommending what has worked for me, a true HACK.

I can see your the hall monitor here, so I'll go swing for the fences at some water bottles with " john smith, and, jack Daniel "

Lol some of these forum guys are.............. A little up tight huh?

I'm just recommending a decent sub $300 blade.

I can't name drop like you can. Your clearly have superior knowledge, and skill.

I'm just recommending what has worked for me, a true HACK.

I can see your the hall monitor here, so I'll go swing for the fences at some water bottles with " john smith, and, jack Daniel "

Lol some of these forum guys are.............. A little up tight huh?

No, dude. This is a COMMUNITY. You are most definitely welcome here. :) And I appreciate your opinion. Please share with us!

If I am buying something, especially something of value, I like to put my hands on it. It's hard for me to imagine spending close to $1000 on something and hoping it will meet my expectations. I think just about every manufacturer has some kind of quality product. Just because "X" manufacturers entry level katanas might suck, their higher lines might be great. I have seen this reflected in reviews and videos as well. I would like for more experienced practitioners and owners to chime in and help you out with some info. I see all kinds of folks "browsing" the thread, but no input :( Seems like you have had pretty good luck with your choices so far, your batting 100.

Haha. I'm an impatient type myself.

Yeah guys. I'm not claiming to be as great as our resident samurai, but especially if your learning to be efficient with a katana, why jump into a traditional style blade when you can spend less, and know your dojo pro/ whatever you decide, will perform well.

Yes an experienced person will be efficient with a differentially tempered blade, but as you can see from Mr garrison, this takes years of name dropping. ;)

I currently have five things being made. One item should be here Monday or Tuesday. The others probably next month. I get stir crazy, like a kid at Christmas. Plus I sold a guitar for the next sword and am having difficulty.

I've been messing with all this crap for 20 years as far as martial arts type weapons go. High end knives is my new thing.

Haha. I'm an impatient type myself.

Yeah guys. I'm not claiming to be as great as our resident samurai, but especially if your learning to be efficient with a katana, why jump into a traditional style blade when you can spend less, and know your dojo pro/ whatever you decide, will perform well.

Yes an experienced person will be efficient with a differentially tempered blade, but as you can see from Mr garrison, this takes years of name dropping. ;)

Hey dude. I am Mr. Garrison. The resident samurai is Mr. Garsson. Funny, I know.

Back