• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Survive! Deserves A Permanent Post In The Hall Of Shame

New video is up, less than 90 days to get a new knife and the delays were all Millet's fault it seems :rolleyes:

Also asking those who ordered and cancelled to order again....
................ just saw that..........unfreakingbelievable !!! I did love where he says we are all working hard and one of his staff is i the background dancing like a lunatic for the camera..... and sure Guy....everyone wants to send you some more $$$$s to help you be that high end knife company you want to be..... sure.... !

I had a certain someone check the validity of their claim of wanting to make things right. It was a no to getting back in line for the original order as costs have gone up. It was a no to pay upon completion of product. You can however send money in now for the open orders and if we don't live up to our end of the deal and you cancel we still will charge you a restock fee. It turns out that we still can't take them for their word but we are still able to send money in for Vaporware. I don't care what they do from now on and they can machine hinges on 3V Handcuffs for all I care. Dang I can't even get Delta 3V handcuffs anymore. Meanwhile my LT Genesis is still slicing away and didn't break on me either and if it did I know it wouldn't take 3 years for them to honor their warranty.

Please don't cause Nathan any discomfort as he is a good man. I know we love his products and bolster business with him but he is not a large scale production company. I am guilty of it too and Nathan said he hated to see Guy abandon the Delta heat treat so their family could be pals and I don't want it to cause him harm. He got so much slack from people about the heat treatment when Guy failed to send the blades out. He is not involved with survive and we should not attach him to negative blogs. We all know that he makes great products if we wish to praise his work we should do so on his thread not this one. Just me thinking. I've talked to him in the past and he really doesn't wish to get involved with mixing the two companies issues. Free Country but I respect one and not the other and I leave it at that.

They gotta have some success or the scam doesn't work. It also helps to have people say "yeah, my experience wasn't soooo bad."

Meanwhile downplaying the fact that they had to be threatened to send what was paid for. Paypal has shut them down before because of so many claims. They keep this up, it'll happen again.
Paypal forces them to keep a certain amount in account for refunds since they have had so many issues.

If anything, this proves that your knife is old stock from who knows how long ago, as they have stated they no longer choose to pay for the Delta heat treat process. They tried to make it seem like it was a minor thing, but @mlmcasual is right, it makes their knives entirely pedestrian.
I remember the fanboys telling me how regular 3V was crap due to the Delta heat treat but crickets now that they lost the 3V heat treatment. For normal use I don't find much difference. The edge seems more stable with the delta treat. Most steel snobs don't realize that every steel has it limits and will tout specs from online sources instead of real world use. I have people telling me that VG10 is super due to reviews online but my impression that for hard use it chips too easily. The bad thing about Survive is that they are charging Delta 3V prices and not discounting for the regular stuff.

I remember the fanboys telling me how regular 3V was crap due to the Delta heat treat but crickets now that they lost the 3V heat treatment. For normal use I don't find much difference. The edge seems more stable with the delta treat. Most steel snobs don't realize that every steel has it limits and will tout specs from online sources instead of real world use. I have people telling me that VG10 is super due to reviews online but my impression that for hard use it chips too easily. The bad thing about Survive is that they are charging Delta 3V prices and not discounting for the regular stuff.
Most of my experience in 3v is with the delta. I can say that I have seen a noticeable difference with increased corrosion resistance with D3V. That alone is well worth it to me.

I've got one D3V, 2 3V. I MAY be able to see a difference in edge-holding with D3V. I don't know if that is due to "edge stability," toughness, grain structure, or what. I'm not even sure I see the difference. I can NOT say that i've seen a difference in corrosion resistance, but that is probably because I don't use any of them that much. I'm just generally not that impressed in the (D)3V over other really good steels, like SR101, INFI, M390, 20CV (in various sizes, for all those steels). Or for that matter, VG10 (which I've used a lot in Fallkniven blades).

I've got one D3V, 2 3V. I MAY be able to see a difference in edge-holding with D3V. I don't know if that is due to "edge stability," toughness, grain structure, or what. I'm not even sure I see the difference. I can NOT say that i've seen a difference in corrosion resistance, but that is probably because I don't use any of them that much. I'm just generally not that impressed in the (D)3V over other really good steels, like SR101, INFI, M390, 20CV (in various sizes, for all those steels). Or for that matter, VG10 (which I've used a lot in Fallkniven blades).
SR101 will rust on me if I look at it wrong. One of the main reasons I got rid of the RMD I had. It was a fantastic knife but I could not justify keeping it after getting some CPK. The custom shop SR101 RMD would just sit and I needed to flitz the handle every month or so. Never had to do that with D3V.

I simply would not use M390, 20CV, or VG10 for the stuff I have used CPK D3V. Think heavy batoning. I don't think they are comparable steels to D3V, given the intended use.

8mQcJo7h.jpg

SR101 will rust on me if I look at it wrong. One of the main reasons I got rid of the RMD I had. It was a fantastic knife but I could not justify keeping it after getting some CPK. The custom shop SR101 RMD would just sit and I needed to flitz the handle every month or so. Never had to do that with D3V.

I simply would not use M390, 20CV, or VG10 for the stuff I have used CPK D3V. Think heavy batoning. I don't think they are comparable steels to D3V, given the intended use.

8mQcJo7h.jpg

For the most part, I would agree with you. Probably. I've never used M390 or 20CV for things like batonning. I HAVE used VG10 for things like batonning, and cutting bones (dressing out deer). It works. I've also used the CRAP out of VG10 is smaller blades, and it works. Far from brittle has been my experience. BUT, i may not push my knives as hard as you. I have rarely found a need to push harder than batonning. When I have, none of my knives have failed. I'm not saying 3V or D3V are bad. I just haven't found them to live up to the hype. Anyone's hype. Not for me in my usage.

New video is up, less than 90 days to get a new knife and the delays were all Millet's fault it seems :rolleyes:

Also asking those who ordered and cancelled to order again....

I wonder what the average schmoe could do in 90 days? 1 month to cut and shape a blade by hand, 1 month to send away for professional heat treatment, and 1 month for adding scales and finishing?

The casual knife enthusiast could do a lot in 90 days if they had the inclination.

I wonder what the average schmoe could do in 90 days? 1 month to cut and shape a blade by hand, 1 month to send away for professional heat treatment, and 1 month for adding scales and finishing?

The casual knife enthusiast could do a lot in 90 days if they had the inclination.
I want to see Guy on Forged in Fire! Anyone want to start a Change.org to make that happen?

At the first bell when the judges critique the work there will be 3 rough knives and he'll list how many orders he took for his drawing.

Been quiet around here. Probably time for Survive Fan-Boy post to get the blood boiling.

So I'm posting this primarily for people who are waiting on knives from survive or considering ordering them in the future.

I'm biased, I've had excellent communication with Survive, great customer service and I just really like Guy and Ellie (chatted a few times).

I've read this entire thread and I'm very cognizant of the issues people have had with Survive. They're legitimate issues, full stop.

I have a previous order from survive and some eBay purchases. I'm not sure why their blades are so expensive on eBay but some of them are almost selling twice the MSRP.

My latest order was placed around February or March of this year and I just got a shipping confirmation last week.

I'm definitely not one of those dudes who's cool with waiting years for a knife. I picked one that had a 4-month shipping warning (I spoke with Guy on the phone and he warned me it would be a few months longer) and watched it like a hawk. I had a cut-off date in mind when I would pull the trigger on a refund. Luckily for me, it was just a few months late. It's annoying and not something I normally accept but in the case of Guy's knives I personally think they're perfect (for me) so I accepted that trade-off.

Guy and Survive have been working on their transparency and posting a lot of updates and videos of their shop. They seem to be getting their shit together and their shop in order. A 7-8 month wait for a knife, to me, is nuts but better than the stories I've heard of people waiting years.

I was given one of their famous "it's shipping in a week" lines when I checked in with them. It didn't ship. I checked in and was told there was an issue with shealth clips that would be there in a few days. After reading this thread in its entirety I thought bull fucking shit and thought I was being given a line. 3 days later I noticed they posted a picture of the sheath clips they were waiting on. A week or so later and I got the shipping alert.

I'm abjectly hopeful for the future of the company. Really hoping they're in a place to catch up on their previous orders (for all of you dudes waiting on blades) and move forward with new stuff. I'm going to risk pre-ordering a few more blades from them for myself and I'm looking at putting together a group order for work for about 70 blades. I'm not suggesting any sort of absolution for their past history or issues, just giving an account of a recent order.

Been quiet around here. Probably time for Survive Fan-Boy post to get the blood boiling.

So I'm posting this primarily for people who are waiting on knives from survive or considering ordering them in the future.

I'm biased, I've had excellent communication with Survive, great customer service and I just really like Guy and Ellie (chatted a few times).

I've read this entire thread and I'm very cognizant of the issues people have had with Survive. They're legitimate issues, full stop.

I have a previous order from survive and some eBay purchases. I'm not sure why their blades are so expensive on eBay but some of them are almost selling twice the MSRP.

My latest order was placed around February or March of this year and I just got a shipping confirmation last week.

I'm definitely not one of those dudes who's cool with waiting years for a knife. I picked one that had a 4-month shipping warning (I spoke with Guy on the phone and he warned me it would be a few months longer) and watched it like a hawk. I had a cut-off date in mind when I would pull the trigger on a refund. Luckily for me, it was just a few months late. It's annoying and not something I normally accept but in the case of Guy's knives I personally think they're perfect (for me) so I accepted that trade-off.

Guy and Survive have been working on their transparency and posting a lot of updates and videos of their shop. They seem to be getting their shit together and their shop in order. A 7-8 month wait for a knife, to me, is nuts but better than the stories I've heard of people waiting years.

I was given one of their famous "it's shipping in a week" lines when I checked in with them. It didn't ship. I checked in and was told there was an issue with shealth clips that would be there in a few days. After reading this thread in its entirety I thought bull fucking shit and thought I was being given a line. 3 days later I noticed they posted a picture of the sheath clips they were waiting on. A week or so later and I got the shipping alert.

I'm abjectly hopeful for the future of the company. Really hoping they're in a place to catch up on their previous orders (for all of you dudes waiting on blades) and move forward with new stuff. I'm going to risk pre-ordering a few more blades from them for myself and I'm looking at putting together a group order for work for about 70 blades. I'm not suggesting any sort of absolution for their past history or issues, just giving an account of a recent order.
"THIS time the scorpion won't sting me" said the frog.

Serious question, what makes you think this time is different than the last dozen times they were 'getting their act together'?

You're pretty far off from April 1. You should update your calendar.

At least you admit to being a troll. Now kindly piss off.

First, I believe you are a shill, so your opinion of the turds this thread is about has no value to me.

Second, let's make believe that you are just so golly gee gullible that you actually do think the turds this thread is about are just good folks trying to make their way in a tough world, and that you decided you just had to join up a couple days ago to tell us all how great they have treated you. Well, in that case, it would be my interpretation, that you are too new and definitely too dumb for your opinion to have any value to me. If you disagree, please read through your own post and see if you can pick out all the details you yourself typed that contradict what you wanted your overall message to be. Again, I hypothesize, you will be too dumb to figure that out as well.

Back