Swamp Rat and Wombat

Is it true Aussoes have a fence to keep fluffy little bunnies out?

Do you guys have herds of wild camels?
Yes, and yes. We do have a fence called the rabbit proof fence. It does not keep rabbits out of Australia, it separates Western Australia from the eastern states. It is approximately 2000 miles in length, and teams of men are employed for it's maintenance. And we have plenty of wild camels that are the generational offspring from the Afghan camel men that opened up the outback, they were one of the main means of transport. When trucks started to take over, they were just released into the wild. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

If you jump over the fence one way, hoards of rabbits will get you. If you jump over the fence the other way, wild camels will get you. If you survive them - on either side of the fence - Emus will get you, it's been this way ever since they won the war. The outback is a tough place to survive.

If this is erroneous I'll let one of our friends from down under correct me, if not then.... pics please.

They mark their territory with their scats, and so they are cube-shaped so they don't roll away.

These are small ones from a baby wombat I just went and found on the path behind my house.

IMG-6432.jpg

They mark their territory with their scats, and so they are cube-shaped so they don't roll away.

These are small ones from a baby wombat I just went and found on the path behind my

Well, I did ask..... ‍:(

Yes, and yes. We do have a fence called the rabbit proof fence. And we have plenty of wild camels that are the generational offspring from the Afghan camel men that opened up the outback, they were one of the main means of transport.

I’d read about the rabbit fence before, but hadn’t heard about the camels. The US Army used camels in the mid 1800’s in Texas and some of the desert western US, but stopped during the Civil War. Some were let loose, but they ended up dying off.

I don’t have a lot of interest in world travel as there is plenty to explore in the States, but Australia and New Zealand are both definitely on the short list of the few places I’d like to get to.

Winston

Last edited:
Well, I did ask..... ‍:(

I’d read about the rabbit fence before, but hadn’t heard about the camels. The US Army used camels in the mid 1800’s in Texas and some of the desert western US, but stopped during the Civil War. Some were let loose, but they ended up dying off.

I don’t have a lot of interest in world travel as there is plenty to explore in the States, but Australia and New Zealand are both definitely on the short list of the few places I’d like to get to.

Winston
And you would be most welcome my friend, and New Zealand is just a most beautiful country.:);)

If you jump over the fence one way, hoards of rabbits will get you. If you jump over the fence the other way, wild camels will get you. If you survive them - on either side of the fence - Emus will get you, it's been this way ever since they won the war. The outback is a tough place to survive.
......few know of "The Great WA Emu War" .... ;) ;)

Currawong,
I gotta know.! Have you already bought the bag of oats to feed your new pet yet? And is the Wallaby still hanging out back? If so, does that officially make you a Petting Zoo? You may need some form of licensing or something. At least that is the way it is here in the States. LOL.

I really love the posts by our Aussie friends. Especially the Pic heavy posts by Currawong, Andy, and Rob.
Thanks guys.

By the way, is a Hi-Lux made by Toyota?

Back