Swamp Rat and Wombat

......maaaaate......it was tough leaving let me tell you !!!!! I was quite contented being away (even if it was around -2 or -3 most nights) !!! Country is actually looking great, they had good rain the week before I went up, none the week I was there and it's bucketing down again now. I looked and the creeks have not been flowing like this since 17 !! I need to take more time off !!! Hoping to take the new (to me) TLC for a drive to the NT but the border closures are making it hard to plan !

How many hogs did you get? There must be a few running around at the moment.

I shot the grand total of ONE... :D Nice shot......quartering away on the run at around 90yds :D saw a few more but they were off in the distance but there was lots of sign !! I lacked the motivation but enjoyed the time in the bush ! Saw plenty of deer as well but I need no meat in the fridge at the moment. Did make my new to me 45/70 go boom a few time causing great damage to some rocks and trees.

Heat.......running when I fired and momentum carried him down low in a gully. Followed the blood and gore trail down...

Below my front deck right now...

Screen-Shot-2020-07-28-at-9-29-57-am.jpg

While I was away I saw more BIG 'roos than I have in many years..... also spent about an hour watching a couple of young'n practice fighting, always worth a giggle !!!!

Nice stuff Wong! You know what would be really cool is to see you go back to where you took some of the fire pictures and do the after shot to see how things may have healed and revived -

Here's a few. All these areas were burnt and are now recovering...

Screen-Shot-2020-07-29-at-8-48-59-am.jpg

Screen-Shot-2020-07-29-at-8-49-43-am.jpg

Screen-Shot-2020-07-29-at-8-50-16-am.jpg

Screen-Shot-2020-07-29-at-8-51-08-am.jpg

Screen-Shot-2020-07-29-at-8-51-26-am.jpg

Screen-Shot-2020-07-29-at-8-52-57-am.jpg

Screen-Shot-2020-07-29-at-8-54-20-am.jpg
Thanks for posting these. The ability of the Australian bush to recover is amazing. But it takes years to fully recover as you would know. I used to spend a lot of time up in the high country of Victoria, had a little shack up there. Massive fires went through the area back in the 2000's. Up around Beechworth in about 2003 and around the back of Whitfield, through Tolmie towards Mansfield in about 2006. They have not fully recovered yet with the drought we have been through, there is strong regrowth, but will take a while yet, but there has been good rainfall over the last couple of years, that will help greatly. You take care and look after yourself mate.

Wow, Thanks C! I must be honest, those photos still hurt but it is kind of your winter there now right? Maybe in several months when the spring season comes it will be better? Man, I was hoping for much more but apparently I was expecting too much.
I'm curious, what is the consensus on how the animal populations were effected? I know Koalas don't eat ferns which seem to be about the only thing green. We don't get the information like we were because it was like once the fires were out "nothing more to see here lets go home" when really that was only the beginning.
Sadly, I think some of our cities are going to end up like your forests before too long but we'll heal as well.

As cudgee says, it'll take a while. The epicormic shooting (the leaves on the trunks of the eucalypts) is actually very good; those trees will recover well.

Wildlife recovery is hard to tell. They say something like 3 billion animals were injured or killed in these fires. One of my current jobs is assessing post-fire wildlife recovery in these forests for a university, so I'll know more over time I guess. I suspect we've lost a few species from some of the areas.

Wow, Thanks C! I must be honest, those photos still hurt but it is kind of your winter there now right? Maybe in several months when the spring season comes it will be better? Man, I was hoping for much more but apparently I was expecting too much.
I'm curious, what is the consensus on how the animal populations were effected? I know Koalas don't eat ferns which seem to be about the only thing green. We don't get the information like we were because it was like once the fires were out "nothing more to see here lets go home" when really that was only the beginning.
Sadly, I think some of our cities are going to end up like your forests before too long but we'll heal as well.
Mate, you have to remember these fires covered massive areas with heat you or i cannot imagine, they were only 7 months ago, and they take time, but rest assured my friend, recover they will. You take care over there.:):thumbsup:

Great thread, fantastic pictures, and what an amazing country. I had wanted to chime in, but really didn't have anything to add until now.

Apologies in advance for those who wanted to remember Wombats as magical little creatures and won't be able to unsee this...

wombat.jpg

If this is erroneous I'll let one of our friends from down under correct me, if not then.... pics please.

Winston

Great thread, fantastic pictures, and what an amazing country. I had wanted to chime in, but really didn't have anything to add until now.

Apologies in advance for those who wanted to remember Wombats as magical little creatures and won't be able to unsee this...

View attachment 1400791

If this is erroneous I'll let one of our friends from down under correct me, if not then.... pics please.

Winston
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Back